X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This made my day.

WARNING - I am evil.

So I was at Walmart waiting for my overpriced prescription to be filled when the terrified screams of two children filled the air. Behind me is a stand where people can get a flu shot, two parents trying to control their screeching children as they try to run away, and a nurse slapping her forehead and trying not to laugh.

Wow, okay, I'm evil, but the sight of two small children screaming bloody murder over a flu shot was the best part of my day. I can confidently say that I never reacted that way to a shot when I was that age.

And really, it was an amusing sight. The kids were screaming and trying to get away from their parents as if they were being sent to be executed! I swear, I wish I could go back to the days when my worst fear was getting a shot at the doctor (except it wasn't. Shots never scared me. Spiders did.)

My Hepatitis B shots in....6th or 7th grade (?) were dreadfully painful and because they were in the arm with my dominant hand, I was pretty useless for a few days after that.

This is why I want all my injections in my buttocks. I don't need my butt for anything but to sit on. The only thing I have to do when I get my shot is remember to gently sit or lay down, and not just sail onto a chair or the couch.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

maybe it's because of mom...
      but i have no memory of being afraid of needles.

i suggest it's mom because one of my coworkers made her daughter terrified. whenever she got a shot as a baby, her mom would gasp and over-react about how horrible it was that her baby was getting an injection. so now, yeah, the girl's afraid of needles. (and yes even she thinks her mom's behavior created the fear).

when i told my own mother the story, mom said..."when you girls [sis and i] got shots, i just wouldn't watch".

so now as an adult... (plus after being a pin-cushion in the navy) injections don't phase me one bit.

though that does remind me - got the flue shot at walmart a couple of weeks ago. I don't know where these nurses came from but... they were very skilled. I never felt the needle until they swabbed the area after the shot. i even commented on it.
      Last edited by PepperElf; 10-16-2010, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I'm scared of needles. I don't think I ever pitched a fit like that, but...I would hold onto whoever's hand so hard I think I almost left bruises. And I CANNOT look ever.

The last time I got shots in the butt, it was when I'd had a horrific migraine for 4 days. So they gave me a shot of phergan and a shot of toradol [I think]. Those sucked...
        "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
        "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
        Amayis is my wifey

Comment

The mental picture of those kids and the facepalming nurse is hilarious. Sometimes screaming kids are funny.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Speak for yourselves. I hated getting shots waaaaayyyy back in my early childhood. I still kinda hate needles to this day because of the "trama" that caused my little young mind and body.

back in the 60's needles were NOT as slim and trim and engineered for less pain as they are today. hell to a 3 or 4 or 5 year old it looked like they were coming at you with a straw with a point on it (think a slushie straw with the mini-spoon on the end something like this http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/..._source=nextag).
            Last edited by Racket_Man; 10-15-2010, 07:29 AM.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I am terrified of injections and hated the thought of having to take my baby to have his shots. But the nurse at our local practice was so skilled that he never made so much as a murmur.
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I regularly give blood, any needles for shots or blood test are not noticed.
                "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Since I was about 8 or so I never minded getting my shots. Mind you, even before that I only freaked out after getting them.

My sister on the other hand...

She still hates getting them done now (at 20) but the time that stands out the most is when she was about 4 and state injections where taking place at my infant school. She was squirming and yelling at putting up such a fight that I was called out of my lesson to go help hold her down!
                  A fact that I have never let her live down.
                  "Honestly officer, he asked for a shot and I gave him one. Why do you need the handcuffs?" - MannersMakethMan

Comment

My daughter has always freaked out when confronted with needles. A couple years ago she needed to have blood drawn. I didn't want to spring it on her at the last second, so I explained in the car on the way to the lab that she needed to have blood drawn, and told her how it would be done.

"Why do they have to poke me with a needle? Can't they get the blood some other way?"

Joking, I said, "Well, I suppose they could just punch you in the nose, but it's a lot faster and easier for everyone if they use a needle."

The lab was tiny; it was just a small room with its own entrance from the waiting area. My daughter did fine until the needle finally came out. Then everyone in the waiting area was able to hear her screaming "Punch me in the nose! Punch me in the nose!"
                    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                      back in the 60's needles were NOT as slim and trim and engineered for less pain as they are today.
                      When I got my polio shots back in '61 the doctor lined the whole class up and injected everybody with the same needle . Honestly, he had a spirit lamp on the table and sterilized the needle in the flame between each child but I still remember how much it hurt to be stabbed with that thick, blunt needle.

Comment

Quoth KaeZoo View Post
                        The lab was tiny; it was just a small room with its own entrance from the waiting area. My daughter did fine until the needle finally came out. Then everyone in the waiting area was able to hear her screaming "Punch me in the nose! Punch me in the nose!"
                        I feel so bad for laughing, but I can't help it!

Count me in with the crowd that can't watch. I'm fine with the pain, the drawing, and even seeing the vial thingiee after. But if I'm watching, I will get light headed and start singing random show tunes before I just pass out. So I turn my head and sing show tunes quietly while the needle person does their thing.

Comment

When I was little I hated going to the doctor for shots. The guy had no bedside manner...he just seemed very mean and scary (of course, I was probably about 5, so there you go...) So one time I was crying and very scared and my dad said it's ok, he was scared too, he cried so much he soaked his handkerchief.

So I said I wanted to see it (I guess I didn't believe him) and he got pretty annoyed with me.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The last time I got shots in the butt
                            i actually scared a corpsman i think.

because you have to pull your pants down a little, he offered to get me a female corpsman to give me the shot of bicillin. To be honest i think he was the one who was uncomfortable. Me? "I'm too sick to care." So yeah he gave me the shot. (found out later i had mono)

then again i've had some weird shots in the navy.
                            like anthrax and small pox.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                              Speak for yourselves. I hated getting shots waaaaayyyy back in my early childhood. I still kinda hate needles to this day because of the "trama" that caused my little young mind and body.
                              Same here -- When I was a kid, I know I was probably a holy terror when shot time came around. Ironically enough, the only shot that DIDN'T set me off was one that came in a big metal tube that was tipped with what, to my young mind, resembled a small musket ball more than anything else o_O

I've gotten used to having blood drawn these days (for tests), tho I still warn the nurse that "I am a total wuss when it comes to needles". I just help her find the right spot, squeeze my eyes shut, and look the other way, teeth gritted.
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X