This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushy Receptionist

I haven't been to the dentist in 3 yrs. I usually don't go unless something hurts. But anyway, the other day the dentist I went to THREE years ago called me and asked if I wanted to schedule a cleaning, I said okay. Why not?

Well, three days before the appointment the hubbie and I need to go out of town and would be gone the day of the appointment. I called the dentist office, apologized and asked for a reschedule.

R: Receptionist

Me: I'm really sorry but I need to reschedule. I'm going out of town.

R: Are you SURE you can't make it?

Me: I'm sure... We're not going to be home until later that night.

R: But they dentist put an hour aside for you. Are you positive you can't make it?

Me: No... Um, maybe we can resechdule for next week?

R: So you really can't make it? You won't be back in time?

Me: No.... Sorry.

So, we did. I finally got her off the phone.

And THEN the next appointment, the day before it was going to happen I was at work and got a missed phone call on my cell. The R said that my dental insurance has been cancelled and to call her back asap. They were closed when I got the message.

So, the next morning (the day of the appointment) she called me at 8:30am. I was asleep. I work swing. I'm barely awake when this goes on:

R: It seems your dental insurance has been cancelled.

I'm still in shock since I've been paying on it.

Me: That's odd.

R: Why don't you come in anyway

Why, so I can pay out of pocket?!

Me: Uhhh I don't think that's a good idea. (remember I'm half asleep) Why don't we just cancel everything?

R: Why don't you want to come in?

Me: ....

R: Are you sure you don't want to come in today?

She went on and on and on asking me why not and how come.

R: So why...?

Me: (Tired and not knowing how to make her get the hint that I don't wanna go) Uh, I don't know....

Yes, I was very out of it and confused as to why she wanted me to come in so bad. I almost wondered if they're unable to get any customers and are desperate. That's how she seemed. I know I was sucky but I just don't think it was a good idea to go in when she told me my insurance is gone and I was lazy.

Eventually I got off the phone. I'm not calling her back.

Yeah I wouldn't be calling back either.

Comment

I hate pushy people in general, but something that like would have had me over the edge and losing my cool, probably giving myself a self sighting.

If it makes you feel better, last week, I had to tell the dental assistant, the dentist, and the desk lady who does the insurance stuff no less than 5 times that I can NOT afford to have my wisdom teeth pulled. It is an oral surgery, and they require payment on the spot, whatever insurance doesn't cover (about $300) all of it right at the time. NO.

NO. No. Noooooo. No.

Are they dense or just required to be that pushy?
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

got me wondering why your dental insurance was canceled and if you were paying there is no reason it should be...unless they are lying

Comment

Quoth LexiaFira View Post
          got me wondering why your dental insurance was canceled and if you were paying there is no reason it should be...unless they are lying
          Yeah, I'd be questioning that too when I called my insurance and asking for a recommendation for a new dentist as well.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
            The R said that my dental insurance has been cancelled and to call her back asap.
            It may be that the dentist's office quit taking that particular dental insurance, and not that the dental insurance company cancelled you. Check with your dental insurance company, and check back with the dentisit's office to see they still take that dental insurance. Then find a new dentist.

As for me, I'm getting three crowns next week. Oh joy.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

which i guess goes back to the whole pushy receptionist which her doing that would make me back off even more because of the pushiness. Why do they need her to come in so badly. And yeah instead of saying insurance was canceled she should have said we can no longer take your insurance but noooo.

It irks me because i had a receptionist like that, pushy but wanting to know stuff she didn't need to know

Comment

My old dentist's office keeps calling me too... my company switched insurances and the office doesn't take the new insurance. I explained it to them. They keep calling me every few weeks to try to get me to come in. *sigh*
                "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                  If it makes you feel better, last week, I had to tell the dental assistant, the dentist, and the desk lady who does the insurance stuff no less than 5 times that I can NOT afford to have my wisdom teeth pulled. It is an oral surgery, and they require payment on the spot, whatever insurance doesn't cover (about $300) all of it right at the time. NO.
                  Wisdom teeth that are not causing pain do not have to be removed-they're just there, they really don't hurt anything. Also sometimes if you need them removed, medical insurance sometimes covers what dental insurance doesn't, as it is considered a "Medical procedure"
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Thanks for that info Katt, you are helpful as always.

The dentist was pretty blunt and just flat out said that he believes that no one needs their wisdom teeth and they need to be pulled as soon as they are fully in, as they do nothing but take up space and are difficult to keep clean, and "They are going to be the first teeth to rot, anyway."

I really liked him until he said that. I have a problem with people in certain professions who let their own beliefs get in the way of their job or trump their job.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                      Thanks for that info Katt, you are helpful as always.

The dentist was pretty blunt and just flat out said that he believes that no one needs their wisdom teeth and they need to be pulled as soon as they are fully in, as they do nothing but take up space and are difficult to keep clean, and "They are going to be the first teeth to rot, anyway."

I really liked him until he said that. I have a problem with people in certain professions who let their own beliefs get in the way of their job or trump their job.

hmmmm I must be the exception to that "have to pull the wisdom teeth" rule. at 50 I still have all 4 (with 3 being impacted and not coming in) and have NOT had any trouble or tooth rot.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                        Wisdom teeth that are not causing pain do not have to be removed-they're just there, they really don't hurt anything. Also sometimes if you need them removed, medical insurance sometimes covers what dental insurance doesn't, as it is considered a "Medical procedure"
                        True for most people, but I had serious orthodontia done, and if mine had come in they would have ruined 4 years and lots of moneys worth of work ... narrow/small jaws suck! [I got off better than my brother, they had to extract 4 teeth to make room to rearrange his mouth, and then he also had to have the wisdoms out as well]

I have several friends who had to have teeth extracted instead of extensive work because of the economy ... which majorly sucks. The mouth is actually very important to the whole bodies health. I find the link between oral health and bacterial infection in the heart fascinating - I wonder how things evolved that way.
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I feel your pain on the small mouth thing. I'm right there with ya in that boat.

I have four crowns because I refuse to get teeth pulled if they can be saved. I have a phobia about dentures: both my parents were in them by the time they were 50.

I'm 45, and still have all my teeth and want to keep it that way.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Heyyyyyy, same here, AccountingDrone. My top wisdom teeth were coming in ok, but my bottom teeth were almost coming in sideways...which would have pushed ALL my bottom teeth horribly out of alignment.
                            "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                            "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                            Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Quoth Eisa View Post
                              My top wisdom teeth were coming in ok, but my bottom teeth were almost coming in sideways...which would have pushed ALL my bottom teeth horribly out of alignment.
                              I think that's how it was with my wisdom teeth as well. Can't remember exactly what the x-rays had showed, only that they were coming in very crooked, and had to be cut out.

Comment

Working...
                              X