Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I write these words, I'm on my second course of antibiotics - non-penicillin, this time - from some damn infection that I got on the left side that I don't know where the hell it came from.

I have bad luck with dentists. Not that I get butchers, but I just had a cleaning a few weeks ago, and it was the fourth or fifth time I walked out of a dentist's office actually in pain, with visible swelling, for which the dentist not only did nothing but offered a clean bill of health. And this has been with different dentists, as well. Over and over again, I've had dentists express in the most bewildered tones their confusion that all is not right with the white horses on the red hill. Over and over I've had to practically beg for additional procedures.

After a tooth had been bothering me with repeated infections for about five years (!) and had had at least three root canals performed on it (!!!), I finally pressured the dentist into just extracting the damn thing and having done with it. After he had removed it, he examined it in the pliers and said, "Ohhhhh..." having suddenly solved the mystery of why the tooth had been misfiring so repeatedly. (A previous dentist had botched a filling.) His attitude went from "You're just making it up to get attention" to "Wow, there was an actual thing" pretty quickly.

My current dentist is all right, I guess, if you pin him down. His hygienists usually handle all the cleaning and the X-rays and everything else, and he's usually in the room for a whole three or four minutes before hustling off to see someone else. This being my fourth dentist since moving to this city, I've pretty much resigned myself to a life of pain and the fact that dentists just don't listen. Good thing I have insurance. All those antibiotics would add up otherwise.

Love, Who?

Comment

I have had very good luck with my dentists over the years. I had my wisdom teeth out in college. All-in-all the procedure went well except for one incident. I had been shot full of Novocaine, and was waiting for it to take affect. Just as the dentist came into start working on me, the power went out. It was out for an hour. When the power came back on, the Novocaine was starting to wear off, so I had to get another dose of Novocaine. Did I mention I really hated needles back then?

My wife was lucky in regards to wisdom teeth, she was born without them. Her father didn't have any either.

This morning I was at the dentist to get three crowns. I should have all the feeling back in my mouth in time for dinner.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

And the process of cleaning myself up involved spitting out bone or tooth chips, too.
        that is one shitty dentist.

i had mine out in my teens and it wasn't really that bad. except for the barfing. i threw up a good ten times, so mom had them prescribe some meds that i could take (suppository, to bypass the stomach) and then i was ok.. except for the pain. i mean it didn't hurt a lot, but it did hurt a little. and i looked funny too. hah.

but yeah i've seen bad dentists too... the kind who say "this wouldn't hurt so much if you took better care of your teeth" - followed by very rough handling.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
          Thanks for that info Katt, you are helpful as always.

The dentist was pretty blunt and just flat out said that he believes that no one needs their wisdom teeth and they need to be pulled as soon as they are fully in, as they do nothing but take up space and are difficult to keep clean, and "They are going to be the first teeth to rot, anyway."

I really liked him until he said that. I have a problem with people in certain professions who let their own beliefs get in the way of their job or trump their job.

I should visit him just to pull my lips back and show him my teeth... Two teeth abcessed and rotted away, one broke a few years after the root canal done on it, because we couldn't afford to drop $500 a piece for two crowns for that tooth and the one next to it, two other teeth rotting away now... And the WISDOM TEETH rot away first? Though I personally want to get mine removed at some point BEFORE they give me problems - I think one IS trying to come in, albeit very slowly, but it feels like it's against my back molar. This fact alarms me a bit...
          Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Quoth ThirdGenRetail View Post
            Two teeth abcessed and rotted away, one broke a few years after the root canal done on it, because we couldn't afford to drop $500 a piece for two crowns for that tooth and the one next to it, two other teeth rotting away now... And the WISDOM TEETH rot away first?
            I have weak enamel. Runs in my family. The first teeth I had go to pieces (rather literally) were specifically the ones that had fillings. Generally, they'd just sort of fall apart about a year after being filled. My dental work is going to be pretty much me having the entire lot yanked. I am not looking forward to it.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
              My current dentist is all right, I guess, if you pin him down. His hygienists usually handle all the cleaning and the X-rays and everything else, and he's usually in the room for a whole three or four minutes before hustling off to see someone else. This being my fourth dentist since moving to this city, I've pretty much resigned myself to a life of pain and the fact that dentists just don't listen. Good thing I have insurance. All those antibiotics would add up otherwise.
              My current dentist is awesome, but I might be biased since he's my FIL. But he's one of the ones who lets the hygenists do most of the basic checkups (cleaning, xrays), and he just comes in to poke around and say "hi." He generally spends his time in the office doing the big stuff.

The only problem with checkups right now is they require an airline ticket to Texas....
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
              X