This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was the semi-sucky customer.

Yesterday, I helped my mom with running errands. The last one on the list was a grocery run. I had been up since 4 am, had not eaten, had put in a frustrating day at work, and by 3pm was pretty beat.

The grocery store was undergoing renovations, so nothing was where it normally was. Most of the employees really did try to be helpful, but even they could not find some things, such as canned green beans, and vanilla extract. (Mom really wanted peppermint, but I figured if I could find the vanilla, the peppermint should be close by.)

I don't know if it was a school holiday, or what, but it seemed that everybody but me in there had at least 2-3 very young children tagging along, running up and down the aisles, and shrieking as loud as the could. --Have I mentioned I'm allergic to children?--

I finally found as much as I possibly could that was on her list, and picked my way through the obstacle course to the checkout where everything went ok UNTIL...the bagger decided it would be a good idea to put toilet bowl cleaner in the same bag with the produce.

In my (loud) "Teacher Voice" I let him know that toilet cleaner does NOT go in the same bag with food. I finished the bagging myself, and got out of there. (I usually do bag my own stuff, but won't refuse if somebody else offers.)

In retrospect, yes, I was probably a bit sucky. Would I do it again? Yes, but maybe not so loudly. I did not want to get the kid in trouble with the management, but he did need to know that chemicals and foodstuffs in the same bag is generally NOT acceptable.
    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

I don't think you were sucky in that instance. Your tone might have been a little harsh based on your description. However, I think it's understandable if the bagger was putting toilet cleaner in with produce. I also get irritated when I see someone bagging my purchases together in a different way than I think it needs to be done. Maybe this is just me, but if I know I'm going to be picky about something, I prefer to do it myself that way I know it's done my way. I don't expect everyone else to cater to my every little whim, but there are certain things that have to be my way even if I have to take care of it myself.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

i dont think you were sucky either. chemicals dont belong in bags with other food. the same way meat needs its own bags and hot chicken is put separate from icecream.

common sense really

Comment

I'll go ahead and agree with you that you were semi-sucky in how you handled it, even if you were right.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

chemical products not being bagged with food =/= personal preference.

That is basic knowledge and anyone let alone some who packs bags for a living should know it.

Comment

^it is a personal preference, actually. I couldn't care less if the capped and sealed toilet cleaner goes in with my produce. I bike home from the store and the less bags, the better. I've never had toilet cleaner magically combust and leak on my food. I also have my double-bagged, packaged raw chicken put underneath the rest of my stuff, so I guess I just throw all the rules to the wind.

There was no reason to "Loudly Teacher Voice" yell at the kid though.
            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
              ^it is a personal preference, actually. I couldn't care less if the capped and sealed toilet cleaner goes in with my produce. I bike home from the store and the less bags, the better. I've never had toilet cleaner magically combust and leak on my food.
              And you've never had a container of something liquid have a pinprick hole in it from unpacking/manufacturing, that could leak over everything? The default training should always be to never pack cleaners with food.
              Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

On a recent Walmart shopping trip (I know, I know) I bought several things including a small jug of laundry detergent. I think the other items packed into the bag with that jug were some plastic cups and a bottle of shampoo. By the time I got home (about 10 minute drive) and got the bag in, the detergent had leaked all over everything in the bag to the point where I had to marinate the cups and rinse them over and over until all the slipperiness and suds were gone. I still haven't brought myself to drink out of them yet for fear of detergent poisoning. There was no obvious leak in the bottle, but as it turns out the cap was juuuust so slightly loose, enough to coat the inside of the reusable bag. Yay. At least I could just toss the bag into the wash and it self-cleans? :P

Comment

Quoth Arcade Man D View Post
                  And you've never had a container of something liquid have a pinprick hole in it from unpacking/manufacturing, that could leak over everything? The default training should always be to never pack cleaners with food.
                  I know what the default training is, I used to be a bagger/cashier. I'm just saying it [b]is[/s] a personal preference.

And no, I've never had anything leak on anything before. If it has a pinhole prick from manufacturing itd leak all over the box it was packaged in, the shelf it sat on, my grocery cart, or the conveyor belt. I also look at the things I pick off a shelf. There is also water, to clean chemicals off stuff. I don't know how many people I've seen lysol a counter then chop something right on it.

dear lord you people are paranoid as hell. Apparently, I'm more adventurous than I though. Me and my not fearing washed things. o_O

everyone is aware you eat spiders and bugs in your sleep right? And the FDA allows for a certain amount of insects to be in food? You could eat a black widow in your sleep and die
                  Last edited by Whiskey; 10-22-2010, 04:31 PM.

Comment

a couple of weeks ago i went grocery shopping for mom and dad - now my first mistake was going to the store closer to my house that i hate... I feel a bit pale for shopping there, also it caters to a certain community, w/ little regard to others that shop there too...

my second mistake was not doing the bagging myself - the bagger and the cashier were too busy chatting with each other to pay attention to what they were doing... when i was loading the bags into my car, one of them had ripped, b/c the bagger had loaded it improperly - yes, i am aware that box corners can tear a paper sack easily, how ever, if nothing but boxes had be loaded into that particular bag, then they'd've held each other tight (leave that alone!) and the box wouldn't have had the wiggle room to tear the sack; also i was asked if i wanted my 10lb sack of sugar bagged - if she were packing the paper sacks properly there would've been plenty of room, and no need for her to ask... but i figured if she's to lazy to do her job correctly i'm not going to bother... told her no it was fine.

I rebagged my groceries in the parking lot as I loaded them into my car...
                    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Unless it's ant poison, I don't care.

Comment

Toilet cleaner is one of those things that really shouldn't be going into a bag with foodstuffs of any sort. You can't really compare it to Lysol; they're very different things since they expect people to be putting food where the Lysol was sprayed..

The correction was warranted, the teacher voice not so much. I'd mark this as a half-suck, in line with the title.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                          everyone is aware you eat spiders and bugs in your sleep right?
                          *Sigh*no you don't....

SNOPES to the rescue!

the whole "you swallow 8 spiders per year was MADE UP to show the totally absurd things people will believe if they read it on the internet....in other words IT'S NOT TRUE!!!!

Sorry it just bugs me when people repeat things as fact when they have obviously not researched at all......

And considering the toilet cleaner I use is an acid(I have to wear gloves or it will eat my skin off-and I handle HCL or hydrochloric acid daily in the lab without gloves), and lids can come loose if jostled enough....yeah do not put that by my food....

And considering I usually have one or more of the following in/on my hands at least 4 times a day-yeah
                          Salmonella
                          E-coli H:0157-Lethal
                          Listeria
                          Campylobacter
                          Shigella
                          Typhoid-good god
                          Botulism-lethal-classified as level II bio hazard-most toxic substance known to man
                          Fecal Coliforms
                          unknown number of unidentified yeasts/molds

We grow all of these in the lab-as in we have active cultures of them

and yes I've eaten while handling the above-meh-I still don't want chemicals in with my food.
                          Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 10-23-2010, 12:57 AM.
                          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                            *Sigh*no you don't....

SNOPES to the rescue!

Sorry it just bugs me when people repeat things as fact when they have obviously not researched at all......
                            My B, I take that one back. The one about the FDA approving a certain amount of bugs in your food.. however..

My only point was IT IS A PREFERENCE. There are people like me who couldn't give a shit less. There are people who do. There is still no reason to yell at the bagger. If the bagger was posting here, everyone would agree the OP had no reason to yell and was out of line.

Comment

Yeah, I recognize that I was tired, hungry, and irritable, and under normal circumstances would NOT even have thought about a grocery run. Usually, if somebody else does the bagging, I just say, "Thank you," and re-bag it the way I want it when I get to my truck.
                              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X