This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But they always let me! A self sighting

This has got to be one of the most hated things customers say. Everyone knows that the cashier can't change the rules, and will in fact get in trouble if they try. But when you're on the other side of the counter...
    I was checking out at the grocery store, and the cashier asked to see my ID when I went to use my credit card. No problem, except it was my husband's card I was using.
    The cashier said "Oh, you're not [Mr Blob]."
    "No, he's my husband."
    "I don't think I can take this card since it's not in your name."
    "But...I use it all the time!"
    Happily, the manager approved it, and I was on my way.

I knew I was being a SC the minute it left my mouth. I don't blame the cashier a bit for being suspicious. It's the sensible thing to do. But dammit, I DO use that card all the time! It's so irritating to be inconvenienced when the rules aren't in your favor, isn't it?

I currently work credit card customer service. You have a couple options in a situation like that. If you are a co-primary or an authorized user on the card they can call the number on the back to verify. Also, if you are, then you can get a card sent with your name on it.

If you aren't, technically they shouldn't let you make the purchase on the card.
    "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Quoth Heksubah View Post
      If you aren't, technically they shouldn't let you make the purchase on the card.
      Chances are, this is the case. I've used boyfriends credit cards (with their permission!) on NUMEROUS occasions and they never formally added me as an "authorized" user. Most of the time, people don't think to add their (legal) spouse as a user.
      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Heksubah View Post
        I currently work credit card customer service. You have a couple options in a situation like that. If you are a co-primary or an authorized user on the card they can call the number on the back to verify. Also, if you are, then you can get a card sent with your name on it.

After dealing with one place that wouldn't let me use Hubby's card (despite being an authorized user) and wouldn't call to verify, Hubby and I just got me one with my name on it. Same number and everything, just my name. Haven't had a problem since.

But yeah, sometimes that "they let me do it all the time!" comes out before you even think about it. Whoops.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth TheChileanBlob View Post
          This has got to be one of the most hated things customers say. Everyone knows that the cashier can't change the rules, and will in fact get in trouble if they try. But when you're on the other side of the counter...
          I was checking out at the grocery store, and the cashier asked to see my ID when I went to use my credit card. No problem, except it was my husband's card I was using.
          The cashier said "Oh, you're not [Mr Blob]."
          "No, he's my husband."
          "I don't think I can take this card since it's not in your name."
          "But...I use it all the time!"
          Happily, the manager approved it, and I was on my way.

I knew I was being a SC the minute it left my mouth. I don't blame the cashier a bit for being suspicious. It's the sensible thing to do. But dammit, I DO use that card all the time! It's so irritating to be inconvenienced when the rules aren't in your favor, isn't it?
          according to the laws in my state, spouses CAN NOT under any circumstances use each others CC or debt cards. the law was put into effect to prevent (during a conflict OR DIVORCE) one party from totaly trashing the account or running up a HUGE balance or draining the checking account (in the case of a debt card).

so if you were in my state that transaction would not happen with your hubby's card.

Yeah I know that one party CAN write/cash checks on the checking account and do the same thing
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I let Hubs use my debit card at times, but I know we're not supposed to. Mainly I let him use it at places I know won't check his ID (he knows my PIN). I love him to death, but that man can't manage money worth s***, so we keep our accounts separate and he can screw his up how he likes (he's getting better, though).

At the motel, the customer swipes the card but I see the name on my screen, and if it's a different first name, I really need that person's authorization. Yeah, it's your spouse, but that doesn't mean he wants you using his card. Sometimes spouses fight, and cards are stolen out of wallets, and fraudulent charges ensue.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
              After dealing with one place that wouldn't let me use Hubby's card (despite being an authorized user) and wouldn't call to verify, Hubby and I just got me one with my name on it. Same number and everything, just my name. Haven't had a problem since.
              Yeah, as an authorized user you are able to get a card with your name on it so that this doesn't happen.
              "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

i'm a bit surprised they took it. i know a lot of places won't do that anymore because of the possibility of revenge-spending (i.e. couple breaks up, one partner maxes out the other person's card in revenge etc). also "permission" - if they still accept it - is suppose to be accompanied by a signed note.

but yeah not everyone checks either.

though it use to be worse in the 80s. i remember mom's shock at one store... they never checked for any information. their policy it turned out was to assume that any woman using a man's credit card was his wife & was allowed to use the card. (i'm betting they got burned bad on that one too)

Comment

Working...
                X