This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's My Damn Food?

I tried very hard not to be a SC, and I think I succeeded. I didn't raise my voice, or swear, or otherwise verbally abuse the person I ended up speaking to, but I was really pissed off, nonetheless.

So, decision is made to get takeout for dinner last night. I really don't like doing takeout on Fridays, since I'm inevitably the one who ends up going to pick it up, and there's always something that ends up pissing me off-- the lack of parking, people cutting me off in the parking lot, or in traffic, or something like what happened last night when I went to pick up dinner at the Factory of Cheesecake.

Here's how it works at the FoC for those who don't know. You call them, place your order, they give you a total and an ETA for when it will be ready. Around that time, you arrive at the FoC, park in specially marked places, and call them on your cell phone, state your name, they come out to your car, you give them the money, they give you your food, you go home with food and eat it. When my family does this, I take cash, and we always factor the tip into the amount I take, and just instruct them to "don't worry about the change." And we tip fairly generously.

Last time I went to FoC, for some reason, I could not get a good connection when I called them from the curbside-pickup space. I'd hear a pick up, some random noise, and then a click. Five times I tried calling, after waiting a minute or two between attempts, and nothing went through. I ended up going inside and picking it up at the counter instead, and let them know about the problems I'd had calling. No fault of theirs, or at least I assumed not, since it could have been a technical problem. But, it was an irritant that served to piss me off anyway.

Well, last night, I went to FoC, right in the timeframe of the ETA quoted when we placed the order, had to orbit the lot once to wait for a space to open up, pull in, call them up. One of their staff picks up, I tell them I'm here for curbside-pickup. They ask for the name, I give it to them, they say, "All right. I'll let them know, they'll be right out!"

So I pull out a Reader's Digest to go through in the meantime.

Twenty minutes later, I finally get fed up and march inside and up to the counter.

J2K -- Me
    GC -- Girl at Counter

J2K: I'm here to get my food from curbside-pickup. Name is <name>.
    GC: Okay. You're supposed to call from out there--
    J2K: I did that. I've been waiting twenty minutes.
    GC: Oh. Do you remember the name of the person who took your call?
    J2K: They didn't give it.
    GC: Oh. All right.

GC has my food right there, she gets it out, prints out the receipt, I pay for it, and take it out to my car. As I'm leaving the lot, Dad calls me, wondering where I am. I explain, briefly, what happened, and say I'm leaving right now.

When I get home, I tell him, "I am never, never, never going to pick up takeout on Fridays again. Something always ends up happening to piss me off, and I can't take it anymore." He says okay.

For the record, when completing the transaction with GC, I cut the tip down by about half. I was just angry enough that someone had dropped the ball and not passed on the message that I was waiting on my dinner.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

You had to go in to get it. After twenty minutes.

I wouldn't have left a tip at all.
    http://footloosecomic.com Pirate Faeries!!

Comment

I agree with Animae. 20 minutes, after you've been told "I'll be right there" and, apparently, the food's just been sitting on the counter, is kinda ridiculous on their part. I would've been peeved too. Heck, given how irritable I get when I'm extremely hungry and haven't eaten in several hours (seriously. You do not want to see me if it's 3 PM and I've not eaten since breakfast), I don't think I would have handled it as well as you did.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Oh, I get damn snippy when I haven't eaten, either.

Thing is, my friends and coworkers have pointed out to me recently how easily I seem to get ticked off lately, and I've noticed it as well. So I've been trying not to let my temper dictate my actions.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

I would not have left a tip either.

But if you're having trouble with your temper and it's not like you, then something's wrong. Stress is a likely cause, but so could a low blood sugar be.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

10 minutes i would have gone in, you have far more patience than me.

Comment

The Applebee's by my work used to do this (probably another reason why they closed that location), and it was hell to get items when the wait staff would drop the ball. It never failed that they'd forget something, so I'd check everything before left.

I had one occasion where they forgot an app and they had the gall to argue with me. So I fished out the receipt and pointed to them where the item was there, but not in the bag, held it out to the waitress and told her "If you're so sure it's there, find it." She gave me that face, but I got the item I was missing.
              Random conversation:
              Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
              DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

^That reminds me of one time I went to McDonald's. We were in a hurry so we went through the drive-thru and I got a Happy Meal...well, I didn't check the bag. I was dropped off while my mom went to pick up my sister--and I discovered they forgot the cheeseburger! No wonder the bag was light! So I had to wait for my mom to come back and then ask her to try and get the cheeseburger...I'm sure they must have thought we were trying to get another cheeseburger or something, but nope, it wasn't in there!
                "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                Amayis is my wifey

Comment

My folks are of the belief that my temper issues are due to not getting enough exercise, which is probably true. But we're getting a puppy in a couple of weeks, so that might help burn off some of that energy.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    My folks are of the belief that my temper issues are due to not getting enough exercise, which is probably true.
                    I used to take boxing lessons. No matter what, every single time, after a 2 hour session of boxing i felt two things

1: I will never be able to move again, someone carry me home
                    2: A lack of anger.

I have really bad anger issues, but throwing fists for a couple hours took it all out of me. Lifting weights does the same thing. Everytime I'm about to fail a rep, I pull something that has pissed me off that day to the front of my mind and that bar goes up surprisingly easy. Then I feel better.
                    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I got band from one place because they not only wouldn't bring the order to the car but also messed it up. When I pointed this out I was told to get out and never come back. I complained to the owner and he called me a liar that his daughter didn't make mistakes like that. I then complained to corporate and got nothing but a coupon to a place that I've been band from.
                      Nowdays the wife goes and gets the curb-side, it's better for both of us.
                      BTW, my banding from the local Slugway expired and I'm now welcome back. Little did they know I was using the drive-thru the whole time.
                      Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                        I used to take boxing lessons. No matter what, every single time, after a 2 hour session of boxing i felt two things

1: I will never be able to move again, someone carry me home
                        2: A lack of anger.
                        My ex-boss was like that. He used to play soccer every Sunday like clockwork. He told me once that when he plays, it hurts until Wednesday, but if he misses a game, he feels pissed off the whole week...

Comment

Working...
                        X