This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What More Do You Want?!

A lady calls in because she’s dissatisfied with some recall work that was done on her car and wants us to “take care of it”. In a nutshell, the little loop of fabric that held the seatbelt in place was too low and could possibly cause the seatbelt to inflict pelvic injury in the event of an accident. The loop wasn’t necessary for the seatbelt, it was just to hold it in place so it looked nice. It was up to each dealership on how they fixed this loop. Some sewed it shut, others cut it off.

The dealership she took it to took a pair of scissors and cut the loop off. So what’s the problem? At first, she seemed to be saying that they had cut too deep and the stuffing was coming out of the seat but eventually I determined that it was just the loops that had been cut off and there were some threads hanging from it. OK, I can sorta understand this upset; they fixed a problem but left it looking messy. We advised her to take it back to the dealer and let them know that she was unhappy and give them a chance to fix the problem (i.e. clean up the loose ends).

The lady was dissatisfied with this resolution and wanted us to “take care of it.” Soooo, we advised her that she could possibly take it to another dealer if she was dissatisfied with the current one but that the next dealer would probably charge since they weren’t responsible for the problem. The lady was still dissatisfied and wanted us to “take care of it” because she’s upset that the loop was just cut off. At this point I’m stymied. The loop is off—what else can be done? Does she expect us to put a new loop back on so we can sew it shut as she wants? (I did offer her a couple of "for your trouble" compensation but she turned them down because she wants us to "Take care of" this issue.)

I’ve now been on the phone with her for 30 minutes going ‘round and ‘round in this argument. Personally, I’m thinking “Lady, I will come to your house with a needle and thread to fix this if you’ll just GET OFF MY PHONE!”

She then starts on a new tack. She wants to know if there are repair reports of this recall so she can go online and see how every customer who has had this repair done had their repair done, i.e. sewed shut vs. cut off. Now I’m pissed 1) Even if we had such a report it would take months to go through 2) Even if we had such a report what business is it of hers what kind of repair another individual had done to his/her car and 3) Even if we had such report what makes her think we would post it online?

I tell her politely that no, no such report exists. She then asks if we have a guide for the dealers to do this repair and can she have a copy? I reply that during the call I have pulled up the dealer documentation and there are no specifics as to how they do it; it is left up to their discretion how they choose to do the repair and that no, it is proprietary information and she cannot have a copy.

I’ve now been on the phone for 45 minutes and I’ve had enough. I re-state that her choices are to go to the dealer and see if they’ll fix it but remind her that they are under no obligation to do anything as technically they have fixed the recall issue, OR she can go to another dealer and be charged for any further repair work. I tell her again that there are no reports on how other repairs were done and again refuse her a copy of the dealer guideline. She finally hangs up after expressing her disappointment that we won’t “take care of” her problem.

Points in her favor: She was never rude, just annoying
    Points against her: She wasted 45 minutes of my life over a 3” strip of fabric.
    Last edited by flybye023; 02-04-2008, 08:03 PM.
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Omg if she wants something done a certain way, why doesn't she just do it herself??? How hard is it to remove loose threads?

Comment

If this is the worst thing this woman has to worry about, then instead of complaining she should be on her knees thanking God for such a good life. Some folks are just never happy.

I will gladly trade her my two raging earaches that I have right now for some little strings on a seatbelt.

Comment

What the hell...

This is just...

I can't actually think of a non-rage filled response for this. This is one of the single most moronic things I've ever read... 45 minutes for threads? I don't have 45 minutes for actual problems, damnit...

Comment

Quoth justZu View Post
          If this is the worst thing this woman has to worry about, then instead of complaining she should be on her knees thanking God for such a good life. Some folks are just never happy.

I will gladly trade her my two raging earaches that I have right now for some little strings on a seatbelt.
          Seriously!

Do you ever wonder how someone like this reacts to an ACTUAL crisis? I wonder that all the time when I've got someone screaming at me on the phone because their airline ticket was .11 cents higher than they were quoted.

The mind reels.
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Oh, I almost forgot. This woman at the end of all the arguing huffs and says to me: "I can't believe this. I've called you four times today and spoken to five different reps and you all keep telling me the same thing."

And I'm left thinking
            My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl View Post
              Omg if she wants something done a certain way, why doesn't she just do it herself??? How hard is it to remove loose threads?
              Not hard at all. It is also not too hard to sew up the seatbelt yourself. All you really need are a good needle, high strength seatbelt-rated thread (don't know the real name for it), and 10-15 minutes to do it right. My dad sells the thread in his upholstery shop, so it doesn't even require a special order.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post
                "I can't believe this. I've called you four times today and spoken to five different reps and you all keep telling me the same thing."
                And yet she keeps expecting different results.
                The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                  Seriously!

Do you ever wonder how someone like this reacts to an ACTUAL crisis? I wonder that all the time when I've got someone screaming at me on the phone because their airline ticket was .11 cents higher than they were quoted.

The mind reels.
                  It reels worse when people complain for being charged LESS than expected. I've heard of a few incidents concerning customers being billed less for freight than we quoted them complaining after the fact. We saved you money and yet your mad.

Quoth flybye023 View Post
                  Oh, I almost forgot. This woman at the end of all the arguing huffs and says to me: "I can't believe this. I've called you four times today and spoken to five different reps and you all keep telling me the same thing."

And I'm left thinking
                  I HATE people who call 5,6, ......100 times expecting NO to change to YES by some magical process.
                  Last edited by LifeCarnie; 02-05-2008, 03:59 PM.
                  Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Quoth Dilorenzo View Post
                    I don't have 45 minutes for actual problems, damnit...
                    Neither to do I, but every once in a while I can find a spare 21 minutes.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                    X