This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
    Your campus has free parking? As in, no cost?!?

Spiffy want!

At my school--assuming you can find an open spot--you won't be able to park for under $3/hour, or $10/day. Therefore, I ride the bus...
    Nono, 'free' as in unoccupied by another carbon-spewing blinged out full-ton heavy duty pickup that hasn't so much as SEEN a dirt road, much less done anything more strenuous than haul a stereo.

Though, that doesn't stop some people from ASSUMING it's free. The ability to avoid absorbing information from signs and notices around here is staggering.
    Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
      i'm not too bad off, going to the main campus is $30 a year... but i still take the bus when I can to avoid the traffic that I described in an earlier post. if it makes you feel any better/worse, I too can get free parking... if I were to go to either the downtown campus or one of the campuses in the south valley (ie, sandy or jordan)... am I the only one though that thinks it odd that the downtown campus has free parking but two of the campuses 5 miles outside of downtown charge?
      yeah, thats pretty stupid considering down town parking is so limited and valuable.
      i swear the U of U has about 3 free parking spots for the entire university, and the lowest of all the parking passes is still 60 bucks a semester. And if your an employee, like i am, its 40 bucks a month for a parking space that you don't have to take a bus to get from the lot to your building.

my favorite moron parkers are the ones who park in 'drop off' zones for the medical buildings. and then have to be paged to move their cars. 'cause its never a Chevy truck or a VW van, its always a Jaguar or a Ferarri. friggin' entitlement whores.
      =^..^= AKAThePoof
      my alter ego is my cat

Comment

Quoth Polenicus View Post
        Listen, I've got a friend named Gravekeeper you need to call. Ask him about pants.
        You'd subject a friend to them?!?!?

EVIL!!!!!!!!
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

My community college had that. They even had enough parking for everyone... only catch is that, if you didn't show up early you'd have to park in lots further out.

I mentioned it before, but usually when I parked there, one of the security guys would give me a lift to the car when I was walking out.

Comment

My workstudy job in college was "Campus Security" which really just amounted to parking enforcement. We had a 1985 turd brown Chevy Cavalier...and this was in 1999. I used to loathe that job...it is amazing how many of your fellow students and professors turn in to total asshats when faced with a parking ticket.

Speaking of parking...A&E has a new show called "Parking Wars" that looks pretty cool..
            If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
            www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

Quoth AKATHEPOOF View Post
              yeah, thats pretty stupid considering down town parking is so limited and valuable.
              i swear the U of U has about 3 free parking spots for the entire university, and the lowest of all the parking passes is still 60 bucks a semester. And if your an employee, like i am, its 40 bucks a month for a parking space that you don't have to take a bus to get from the lot to your building.

my favorite moron parkers are the ones who park in 'drop off' zones for the medical buildings. and then have to be paged to move their cars. 'cause its never a Chevy truck or a VW van, its always a Jaguar or a Ferarri. friggin' entitlement whores.
              actually, there is a huge amount of parking available downtown if you know where to look (i used to work for Diamond Parking Services in downtown so I know where the best lots are... and sorry about that ticket )

oh and does the U actually plow it's lots or do they enjoy watching people suffer like SLCC does?
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                i'm not too bad off, going to the main campus is $30 a year... but i still take the bus when I can to avoid the traffic that I described in an earlier post. if it makes you feel any better/worse, I too can get free parking... if I were to go to either the downtown campus or one of the campuses in the south valley (ie, sandy or jordan)... am I the only one though that thinks it odd that the downtown campus has free parking but two of the campuses 5 miles outside of downtown charge?
                Am I the only one who has to shell out $652 for a school-year parking pass?
                Last edited by theredbaron47; 02-06-2008, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post

Spiffy want!

At my school--assuming you can find an open spot--you won't be able to park for under $3/hour, or $10/day. Therefore, I ride the bus...
                  The Community College I go to incorporates the parking fees with tuition, so I'm not even certain how much it is, but nobody has to have a pass or anything.

By the time I get to school for my 10:00am class, the lots are full, and I'm waking from near the farthest part of the lot, but all in all, I can at least get a place. The lots are huge.

And theredbaron47, $652 a year My god, I'd take the bus first, even if were only from the store up the street.

Eric the Grey
                  In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth theredbaron47 View Post
                    Am the only one who has to shell out $652 for a school-year parking pass?
                    The cheapest permit on campus is about $316, and the most expensive is $1991. Yes, boys & girls, it is 4 digits to park for one year. And it's not the only 4 digit permit, just the highest one. That $316 is only if you make less than $25K a year. That same permit for someone who makes greater than $100K is $617. Of course, getting the permit depends on seniority & how many permits your department has access to.

For students, the prices range from $220 (for off-campus lot) to $384 (gated lot). That is of course, assuming that you even get one. For example hardship reasons or you have an out of town job, you have to put in a plea and hope.
                    I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

TNTBTO, it brings me ( a small amount of ) comfort to know that I'm not the only one paying upwards of $500+ for parking each year. 'Course, I go to school in the city, where parking is scarce and at a premium, so that also has something to do with it.

I think our most expensive pass is $1017 or something like that for a semester year, and that's a guaranteed space in the basement-level garage of the private apartment building on campus.

$2k a year for parking is just insane. Public transit, anyone?

Comment

we have a grocery store NCSU where i go to. They offer free parking along a retaining wall keeping the road from falling on the store. The local companies are predatory companies. The biggest proof I have is 2 years ago one of the frat houses threw party started at 11 PM - The buses stop at 10PM and restart at 6AM ppl walk out to the store at 3AM all the cars are gone. when they call diamond they said they were told since they were on the bus but not along the retaining wall. a class action lawsuit was filed and the towing company had to pay back 1.5 times what the tow fees and tickets were worth.

Comment

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
                          The cheapest permit on campus is about $316, and the most expensive is $1991. Yes, boys & girls, it is 4 digits to park for one year. And it's not the only 4 digit permit, just the highest one. That $316 is only if you make less than $25K a year. That same permit for someone who makes greater than $100K is $617. Of course, getting the permit depends on seniority & how many permits your department has access to.

For students, the prices range from $220 (for off-campus lot) to $384 (gated lot). That is of course, assuming that you even get one. For example hardship reasons or you have an out of town job, you have to put in a plea and hope.
                          And I thought 65 for commuter lot/off campus resident lot and 75 for on campus (only 100 or so spaces) was high.

Comment

Seeing the prices for parking makes me glad that I can park for free at my school

Quoth theredbaron47;267088
                            $2k a year for parking is just [B
                            insane[/B]. Public transit, anyone?
                            That's one of the many reasons I'm for it.
                            The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Parking at my alma mater was terrible. The sticker only cost $100/year, but some chickenheads decided that $100 was too much to pay for parking. (But $300 for a perm or shoes wasn't, somehow.) They would park in the grass beside the lot, on the narrow one way streets, in the lots behind the chancellor's house, in the student's dorm lots, on sidewalks, etc. Then they would be shocked with security both gave them a ticket and had them towed.

True, the school should have been using that money to build a parking deck or some other solution to the limited parking and could easily afford to have security patrolling more frequently to catch the assclowns stealing license plates (huge gang and drug area), but that didn't give the students an excuse to be dipshits.

But parking never topped my ultimate pet peeve: Assholes stopping in the middle of the god-damned road to talk to someone on the sidewalk and entirely blocking anyone else trying to get by. How hard is it to park your car, get out and talk to your friend? Why must you waste gas, create wear and tear on your car and create a freaking safety hazard to get your booty call?
                              A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth theredbaron47 View Post
                                TNTBTO, it brings me ( a small amount of ) comfort to know that I'm not the only one paying upwards of $500+ for parking each year. 'Course, I go to school in the city, where parking is scarce and at a premium, so that also has something to do with it.

I think our most expensive pass is $1017 or something like that for a semester year, and that's a guaranteed space in the basement-level garage of the private apartment building on campus.

$2k a year for parking is just insane. Public transit, anyone?
                                Are you kidding? They pay for my bus pass. Sooo, instead of shelling out my hard-earned bucks and fighting that horrible 2 mile stretch of 2-lanes-can't-widen-it-because-of-flood-control highway traffic jam, I spend a little more time commuting, read or tat the entire way, and get a little exercise into my day.

And note, you can get a permit are only if one is available! There are some free commuter lots available though. So people can park & ride for free.
                                I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Working...
                                X