This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting bubs into the water!

OK, so as part of my swimming teacher certification, I have to do some on-the-job assessment. This does NOT mean that I have to get employment, just that I need to do a field placement. My assessment involves me watching some classes, then taking part of the class, then taking four classes on my own.

Now my question is: how on earth do I get an aquaphobic kid into the water?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Patiently, and without the parents anywhere around.

Invite the child, show him what fun the other kids are having, teach the other kids with yourself (or a helpful lifeguard) keeping a watchful eye on the aquaphobic kid while they're making up their mind.

If they manage to approach the water, put their hand in, dip a toe in, etc, be approving but not as if it's anything too special. Difficult balance to strike, but making a fuss will make it seem like it's extraordinary - you want this to feel 'everyday' and 'normal'.

Other than that sort of thing, I don't know. :/
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
      Patiently, and without the parents anywhere around.

Invite the child, show him what fun the other kids are having, teach the other kids with yourself (or a helpful lifeguard) keeping a watchful eye on the aquaphobic kid while they're making up their mind.

If they manage to approach the water, put their hand in, dip a toe in, etc, be approving but not as if it's anything too special. Difficult balance to strike, but making a fuss will make it seem like it's extraordinary - you want this to feel 'everyday' and 'normal'.

Other than that sort of thing, I don't know. :/
      Good advice =)

I can remember when I was taking swimming lessons from the Red Cross way back in the late 60s in a lake [a very scary venue if you are water phobic. waves] The teacher had a kid that was obviously terrified of the water so we all had a water fight, the kid slapping water from sitting on the dock, and then spending the first class after that sitting on the dock with his feet in the water. Next day he was sort of wading at the edge of the water and slowly he got in deeper over the next few lessons. I think the parents also paid for a private lesson or two as well. After about 4 lessons he was in learning to swim. [we had 4 different class levels in the lake at once, the classes only ran on saturdays.]
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
      X