This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly Depressed (Long)

So, I've been going through a bit of a depressive state at the moment, and thought I should get it out, maybe it'll help, maybe it won't. Anyway, here goes, most of my tale is medical fact and the other is pure speculation made from what I do know now and deduction, any speculation I'll bold.

When I was born, one leg was shorter than the other, at some point, my aunt noticed it and pointed it out to my mum, while i was still a baby, she spoke to the doctors and nurses about it, but nothing came of it.

Cut to 12 years later, Mid afternoon in music class, onthe second to last day of the second to last year, I'm sat on my stool (one of these http://www.apmg.co.uk/images/school/stools-01.jpg) I move slightly, and OMGPAIN, so bad I had to be sent home and was for that day bent at a slight angle. Go see the docs about it, get no help from there (He actually had the audacity to say out loud that i was making it up because i was being bullied, I was being bullied but believe me, I wasnt making it up) Go for X rays, nothing, they say they can't find anything and so they can't do anything.

Cut to the next year in school, still in pain from my back, so my going out after school has stopped, though i still tried participating in sports in school, OH joy, I get a new problem, my hips start to dislocate, mostly my right one, so, I start treatment for that (honestly, I don't know what the treatment was, all they did was lay me on a bed next to a machine with my offending hip joint facing the machine) I need treatment on it every week for a couple of months, it got better, sort of, but then my other hip joint started to play up, so, the nurse i saw every week decides this is wrong, so she starts poking around on my lower back and lo and behold, my tailbone is slanted. which then led to appointments about getting my back looked at.

Cutitng to the chase after years of xrays, MRI's and other stuff, turns out my spine curves sideways in two places, to a total of 15 degrees, Doctor assures me this is relatively normal (which I gotta disagree with, especially given that I'm in pain) Doctor then informs me that while there is a procedure that might help (spinal fusing) he feels that the risks of paralysing me, or worse, are so great he won't even dare try.

Anyway, the whole leg being shorter than the other thing was forgotten until one day when I thought my trousers on one side were a bit too long, I mention this to my mum, and then she remembers, so i go get checked out and lo and behold, it's 1cm shorter than the other, which is supposedly normal but seemingly is the reason for the whole messed up back and tailbone. (An assumption on my part but a reasonable one).

All thats the past, more recently I've now got an appointment soon to see about the possibility of my leg lengthened, its not a certainty, but i really hope i can.

Anyway, thats the backstory, onto the reason for my depression:

I suffer from great pain every single waking minute of every single day, since my back first went, let me put that more clearly, I haven't had a single minute free from pain, for 14 years, and it's just slowly crept up and got worse over the years, I have a pretty strong tolerance for pain (The amount of bones i've broken and not felt a thing, plus in college playfighting with a friend of mine, she used to dig her nails in so deep she drew blood and i didn't feel a thing, another example is that on the times I've accidentally scalded myself, I havent felt a damn thing) But, I'm reaching my limit, that in itself is getting me down, not to mention the fatigue, plus the added bonus of joint paint from being so inactive, which i can't help, since if i go out into town for like half an hour to pay my bills, thats me done for the day, usually limping (If I have to limp, it means the pain is REALLY bad, often reaching the point where its almost overriding the ability for me to you know, actually use my legs) Anyway, thats one reason why I'm feelng down (other than the fact that I'm inclined to get chemically depressed anyway) The next one is down below.

Then, there's the realisation of just how much my life was stolen, yes, stolen, by a condition caused by something that could have possibly been fixed on my at birth, before this hit, i was an active, outdoors kid, after it hit, i became a recluse. My teenage years and my early twenties, all that could have been, were taken away from me, I could have found someone, got married, had kids, gotten a good job that I liked (Yes i realise that even without my back being the way it is, it wouldnt have been a guarantee, but it'd have given me a chance) As it stands now, my entire life consists of sleeping, waking up, eating and drinking, with everything else i do, mostly on my computer, being nothing more than filler really to stop boredom sinking in until i go to sleep. Just so much of what could have been was stolen from me. I saw a girl on Ellen once, who needed an organ transplant to be able to function as a normal kid, and I cried, wishing that i could have given her my lungs, or at least one, so she'd not lose her kid years like i did.

Because of how i feel that my back is which, i believe personally that the pain is my spinal column grating against my vertabrae(*) That I won't have too much longer on this earth, if not because of it finally giving way, then because of the pain reaching a level beyond what I can bear which would result in my taking my own life. Honestly, one way or another, I don't feel like I'll reach 35. Though I know this as a certainty, I have absoloutely no fear about my own death, I won't quite be rushing into its open embrace, but I won't fear it either. Frankly, I feel that all I've gone through has heavily impacted my emotions, I'm so detached from all of my emotions, sometimes I feel like just an empty shell.

The operation I'm hoping for, won't fix things, but might stop them from getting worse, if i get it and it does stop it from getting worse, great, i can maybe start putting my life together by working around it, if not, i honestly don't know what I'll do.

So, thats my story over with, I don't know if it helped me, i really can't tell at the moment. Thanks for reading anyway.
    Last edited by RayvenQ; 04-13-2012, 04:59 AM.
    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Doctors are so useless. They don't care anymore. They just want your money. I am so sorry .

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
      Doctors are so useless. They don't care anymore. They just want your money. I am so sorry .
      I don't think this is the case over here, since I've never had to pay for anything medical (NHS, Free healthcare)

Comment

Well, then doctors are just useless.

Comment

If just that one doc 25 or so years ago, had actually bothered to follow up and treat my leg, I'd have potentially avoided all of this.

Comment

Rayven, I'm real sorry you had to go through this. I don't have any advice for you, beyond the fact that I think you should definitely see if you can get to some sort of therapist, and maybe talk to your GP (if you have a GP) about effective pain management.

Beyond that, I can't even imagine what it has been like for you.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
              If just that one doc 25 or so years ago, had actually bothered to follow up and treat my leg, I'd have potentially avoided all of this.
              I can only begin to imagine how much that must hurt.
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

<big hugs for Rayv>

You've got my contact info dude, just ping me if you ever need to talk. I'll be praying for you.
                By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                  I understand this feeling so well. I have a genetic disorder called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, which affects my ligaments - basically they don't do their job. I can yank a few of my joints into a full dislocation, and then put them back by myself. Neat party trick, but most of them really hurt when they do it, and many of them will pop back into place before I can get an x-ray, so I just look like a total faker. I was diagnosed at 31. Before that, I was told by doctors and family that I was just whining for attention. Because we didn't know about the EDS, I received treatment from doctors and dentists that caused significant damage to my body, much of it irreversible. I still have to be on-guard about that, because EDS is so different from the way everyone else's body works.

I coped by doing many of the things you did... for so many years, there was just so much I couldn't do, just because of pain. I spent a lot of time with my computer... you can tell just walking into my house that computers are integrated into everything we do, mostly because of the same thing you said - it was the one thing I could do for years and years. Many of my friends "live inside my computer" as my sister puts it -- the sister I found online a year and a half ago. I'm telling you all this because I want to say, don't write yourself off. I've been there. It was awful to go through, and depressing and miserable to try to fix the problems once we realized they were actually real problems. It was so much struggle and work that I didn't even think would be worth it. "Hell" is a huge, monster-sized understatement.

I'm sharing all this because I want you (and anyone else who might be in the same place) to know, I gave up hope for a long time, too. It doesn't have to be this way. My situation is different from yours, I know, but one HUGE thing I've done in the past year is, with the help of friends and family, I've figured out how to make a good life for the future, in spite of my body's circumstances. It's hard and it sucks and it's obscenely expensive and it's soooo not fair. And some days I just don't want to bother because I've lost so much. But it's worth it to me, to go through all of this for the hope of something better, for the chance to live with less regret. I don't know if that's encouraging or not... I remember a time when it would have made me feel even worse, like I couldn't possibly accomplish all this. But I hope you feel encouraged, and if you ever need encouragement or support, or help creating a good future, or just someone to talk to, there are people out there who'd LOVE to help -- me, for one.

Comment

Aww Rayvrn! *gentle hugs* I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. I have no words of advice but if you ever wanna talk all my contact info is on my fb page.
                    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Backs are very tricky things, and so much can go wrong with them without leaving a single external feature for diagnosis. I myself haven't had a painfree day since the age of 17 - that's 22 years, almost to the day actually; it's manageable, but not treatable, and the formal diagnosis is basically doctorese for "duff discs". When it first started, it felt like a physical "click" as my leg swung forward, but nothing shows as abnormal on x-rays, MRIs, or ultrasound; the areas I feel pain and the restrictions that places on my mobility are the only way they have of judging what's wrong and to what extent.

Before I got my current job, I was a slouch around the house & had spent 18 months not even sharing the bed with my wife because I just couldn't get enough relief to sleep properly. Thanks to a course of physiotherapy, I started getting more active again - even though I felt it did me little direct good, indirectly I was forced out of the house regularly and eventually just kept heading out, a little further each day until I regained my former levels of mobility & pain management. A couple of months after that I got my current job, which I've been at for 3 years and 7 months - a personal record of both continuous employment with one employer, and employment without having to take multiple months off for recurring pain.
                      Last edited by Ree; 04-15-2012, 04:05 PM. Reason: Removed medical advice
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Rayven, is your one leg being shorter a result of the scoliosis, or was your scoliosis caused from one leg being shorter? Or do you not know for sure? I have scoliosis and have had 3 surgeries for it, including a spinal fusion (one of my curves was 80 degrees while the other was 60), and it was definitely worth it. Is that the surgery you're hoping for?

Comment

Honestly, at this point, i have no idea which caused which, at this point i doubt I'll even find out, the operation I'm hoping for is leg lengthening, the neurosurgeon spoke to told me that spinal fusion was a possibility, but he flat out refused to do it due to the risk of putting me in a wheelchair or worse.

I've tried inbsoles etc even went to a podiatrist about it and they made me custom insoles based on my foot etc, but because of how it curves and stuff, it's never fit right enough for me to be able to tell if its worked or not.

Comment

I have one leg that is slightly shorter than the other as well. I don't have the same degree of problems that you do, but I do have hip, back and joint pain. Have you seen a physical therapist (or the equivalent where you are)? I saw one for a time and they would do things such as pull on the shorter leg to realign my hips which helped with the pain. They also suggested a lift that went into the shoe of the shorter leg in order to help me be even. Don't know if my experices will help, but hope that you find some relief soon.

Comment

Yep, pretty much been through all that, even that lift thing, had to quit the physio because it just left me with too much pain.

I'm also on the strongest painkillers my doc is willing to give me to have on a regular basis ( Co-codamol 30mg( Codeine phosphate)/500mg (Paracetamol) taking two 4 times a day, and they aren't even making a dent in the pain.

Perversely enough, the one thing thats helped me walk a bit better/be able to walk a bit further is the 8lb+ chainmail shirt I'm making for myself, before wearing that i used to need a stick to help me go a little further, now, for some reason, wearing the shirt helps, i think its making me stand up straighter and thus giving me that little bit more distance.
                              Last edited by RayvenQ; 04-14-2012, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X