This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am stupidly excited about this

CATS, my all-time most-favoritest musical, is going to be performed in GJ. This alone makes me happy because, as I said, it's my favorite. More than that, though, they're holding auditions for it at the end of this month. I mentioned it to my mom on the way home from my hair appointment and her response was not what I expected.

Her: "Do you want to audition?"
    Me: "Yeah, kinda.."
    Her: "For which part?"
    Me: *shrug* "I'm not going for any specific part. I mean, even if I'm just chosen to be a background cat, that would be pretty freakin' cool."
    Her: "Well, find out what day and time it is."

So the audition may actually end up happening. Am I excited about the idea? Yes. Am I also terrified? Yes.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Go for it!

Have you done musical theater before? Do you have audition pieces prepped? Usually they'll ask for a song (plus have you sing something blind), and a soliloquy. Pick something familiar, but not easy, and you're a shoo-in!

Comment

Unless you count the one show and two regional contests from when I was in Sweet Adelines, I have zero music theatre experience. XD And, nope, I have no audition songs prepped, though I apparently will need sheet music or a CD.

"Auditions will be held April 28th, 2012 at the Showtime Productions starting at 2:00 PM.

Talent is asked to be prepared to sing 16 bars of music and learn a dance number. Bring well marked sheet music or CD, any dance shoe, and a willing to learn attitude."

The 'learn a dance number' part I'm naturally worried about. >.> Not sure how that's gonna go.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I love that musical! I've seen it 4 or 5 times, and it's a little bit different each time, just because of the different actors. Good luck! Or wait...am I supposed to say "break a leg"? Well, good thoughts are with you anyway!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

They'll probably walk you through steps from one of the show dances. They likely won't ask you to do something difficult unless you show major proficiency in the basic steps.

What they'll do is show you the steps, while speaking the count out loud (STEP two three and TURN two three four and pas de bourrée, pas de bourrée, and JAZZ HANDS!). They'll walk you through them a couple times, once without music, a couple of times with (so you get the timing) and then ask you to do it on your own. Chances are you'll be with a group for this, not on your own, so if you're good at watching others surreptitiously, plant yourself in the middle of the group.

Recommendation - jazz shoes. Split-sole, black, lace-up. You'll find them easier than either a heeled shoe or a ballet flat.

If you have sheet music, they may be expecting you to be your own accompaniment. If you don't play piano, bring a CD with the accompanying music - try to find a version without vocals (sometimes iTunes has karaoke versions), so the music doesn't overwhelm your voice.

Comment

XD The problem with all of that- I'm in a wheelchair. Yeah, I know. 'Why the heck am I auditioning for, of all things, Cats when I'm in a wheelchair?' Two reasons: 1) Because I want to. 2) Until they print a rule saying I can't, I don't see why I shouldn't at least make the attempt.

Comment

I *bet* there are non-dancing roles. And I bet they'll be more than happy to accommodate you, especially once you show that excitement! Have fun with it, and who knows!

(also, who the hell cares! Some of the best theatre roles are non-dancing ones!)

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                XD The problem with all of that- I'm in a wheelchair. Yeah, I know. 'Why the heck am I auditioning for, of all things, Cats when I'm in a wheelchair?' Two reasons: 1) Because I want to. 2) Until they print a rule saying I can't, I don't see why I shouldn't at least make the attempt.
                It's not impossible that they might make an accomodation if you pass the singing audition. Perhaps have your character perched on a bit of scenery throughout the show?
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                X