Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You will not believe this... whats happened now in my odyssey with employment

So, I had an interview at 9:30 today.

To get my paycheck from my old place, I had to turn in my keys, so I went in about 8 am and spent a while longer talking to HR who said she really wishes I had come in that day before I quit to talk to her, the COO, and the owner all at the same time. I told her all about the losing out on promotions 4 times and exactly what had happened with it and how.

Then I turned in my keys, and said goodbye to one of the Accountants that I'm work friends with (a very stubborn older foreign lady that it takes a while to get to know), and the HR lady (she gave me a hug and told me she'd miss me, and that she'd give me a fabulous reference if she's asked because it isn't right what happened to me).

I gathered whats left of my things, and left for the last time. My husband will go and pick up my check next week.

I went for my interview at 9:30. You know, the one I was so worried about.

She asked me a bunch of questions and really liked the answers, so called in the GM to meet with me too, and asked what wage I was looking for. I told her "between 10 and 12 an hour". Then she asked me to go sit in the cafe and she'd come to speak with me.

I wasn't there for two minutes before she came in with all the necessary paperwork to hire me. I filled it out and she asked me when I could start. I, thinking that maybe she wanted time to talk to the GM, said "Mondays good if it's good for you. That way its the beginning of the week and everyone fresh and ready to start going".

She said "How about right now".

I did a double take and said "Really?"

She said yes so I agreed and started immediately. From the time of the interview to the time I started the job was about an hour.

I spent all day on the front desk except for a few minutes that I was upstairs with the Revenue Reservations Manager.

I had a phone call about an Expedia reservation, and the Front Office Manager was hovering behind me listening just in case I needed him but I handled it like an old pro, and he said "Damn, you're good".

An old sales manager showed up to get her W2 that I used to work with at my old place. She said hi with a great big grin on her face. I told her that I quit my old place and she said "I know. I found out about 3 minutes ago after talking to *another old sales manager with alot of influence in this city and probably one of the sweetest people I've ever met*. Horrible loss for them. You were such a good employee too."

So, I am a Sales Assistant, and I help out in Reservations too. I've been working to get something like this for years. From the sounds of it, I will be working 9-5:30 Monday to Friday with maybe the occasional variation for $11 an hour, which means raise too (by about $2000).

And I have already been treated better than I ever was at my old place.

And get this, HR's new Admin Assistant started at the same time I did. I think I may have a new friend. That may not seem like a big deal, but I'm not from the US, and I get kind of lonely here sometimes. I love my husband, but I don't really have any friends of my own here save for a work friend at my old place of employment. All my friends and family are back in Canada.

I am exhausted. Down to the bone exhausted. The leg that I injured in that car accident in 2004 is hurting like hell, and my feet ache. But for the first time in a long time, I feel like I've accomplished something today. And I finally feel appreciated at a job, even if it is only the first day.

Strange, I was actually hoping to take more time off since I've been so emotionally burned for so long, and yet... opportunities like this don't occur every day. Seize the day and all that.

So my worries about having to reschedule last night? Totally unfounded and now I feel dumb for getting so incredibly upset and snapping off on my wonderful husband because I was mean to him last night and I should NEVER have acted that way.

Anyway, I'm going to go rest. I think I need it.
    Last edited by Moirae; 01-26-2012, 01:05 AM.

That is AWESOME. Wonderful!! Congratulations!!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Wow...Karma finally paid up. Good Job.

Comment

That is some downright awesome news! I am so happy for you for getting out of the previous place and somewhere were it appears that they value good workers.

And I doubt that your husband will hold your snapping against you. He is well aware of what you have been through. :-)

Comment

*happy dances for Moirae* YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I'm SO happy for you!
          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
          -----
          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

*happy dance*
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

YAY! This is such great news!
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Congrats on the new job!
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Oh YEAH!
                  This..this is ...golden. Just...pure golden.

I wonder if another shoe will drop on Old Place. Then again, who gives a fuck!
                  In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                  She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

GREAT to hear!

You'll rock the new job!

And ain't it great to know your skills are valued?

B
                    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                    I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I'm so happy for you that it brings a tear to my eye. Seriously.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

*does the dance of joy*

Congrats!!! I am so happy things turned out well!!!

*goes off dancing*
                        Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

That is amazing! Congrats! I was getting kind of worried not seeing an update earlier, but I'm so glad that my worry was for nothing!

Comment

Doing the HAPPY DANCE for you!!! Congrats!
                            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Congrats! I am so happy it worked out and you found a great job. Good luck and hope it continues as well as it started!
                              Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

Working...
                              X