This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic The Gathering players?

This may seem like an odd meet up request. But there's a gaming store in my town that has frequent Magic the Gathering tournaments. Now I've been taught how to play this game at least a dozen or so times in my life, but I'm just a bit fuzzy. I'm shy as all hell about going into a store to ask someone to teach me, a guy on the verge of entering his thirties, how to play.

I know there are at least a dozen CSers from my corner of Massachusetts and I know at least half of them must play Magic the Gathering. Is there anyone who would be willing to get together with me regularly and help refresh my memory of the basics?

Sorry, I'm about a days drive away so can't really help out.

Still if you want to refresh yourself of the basics, you could pick up Dual of the Planeswalkers on Steam for 10$ or so. That will get the basics in place, and you won't have to worry about collecting cards or anything.

At the end of the month, the next expansion comes out, and most stores will have prerelease and release events. Prerelease events are usually sealed decks. You get 6 booster packs of the new expansion, and all the basic lands you want, and you build a 40 card deck out of them. Those events are usually great for returning to the game with too since the rules are a bit more relaxed (somewhat depending on your opponent), and everyone is new to the cards. Just don't trade anything until you get used to how things go.

Comment

I've played against people online in chats, but that's rather more straining. Honestly, one of the best times to just jump in is a release party. One, it's an even playing field; everybody's playing with the same brand-new cards. Two, people bring older decks and are more than willing to play between rounds of the tournaments.
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Don't play against the AI in the Duel of the Planeswalkers game on steam, the ai BLATANTLY cheats.
        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

AI always cheats.

I'm pretty new to MTG myself (I used to play with my brother before he left for Colombia for 2 years). I went to a couple release events. One was sealed pack and one was for the new EDH set. Sealed pack can be a bit of a crap shoot. You're at the mercy of whatever cards you end up with and if you know how to build a solid deck. I got my butt kicked, but Li'l Bro told me it was a "scary" deck. I play Blue/Black infect, which can take awhile to get rolling so the green mana acceleration decks tore right through it. The EDH release was far more laid-back, but I think that has to do with the different format.

If I were closer, I'd totally come and play with you.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

The best time to get in is, as was said, one of the pre-release parties. Nobody will have any advantage over anyone else. Everyone gets a crack at the cards, and what you get is what you get. No one can bring any of their decks.

The best you can do is trade what you've got afterwards.

And if I were anywhere near you, I'd love to come and play. My decks are heavily defensive.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I live pretty far away, so I wouldn't be able to meet up and play a game with you. Just remember, there's a simple acronym for Limited (sealed and draft) success: BREAD

Bombs: Big, sweet, cost-efficient creatures (that new hexproof GW angel or Avacyn herself)
              Removal: Destroy target X, deals X damage to whatever, when X enters the battlefield, exile Y, etc.
              Efficient creatures/spells: I can help you with this as the spoilers get revealed (another point for later)
              Aggressive stuff: Low-cost, agressive 1 or 2 CMC creatures.
              Dross/dregs: The crappy stuff

It helps to study the spoilers as they come out, so you can group the cards into any of the above sections. Good luck to you!
              Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Comment

'preciate the response guys.

Comment

If you want to see the spoilers for the new set, MTG Salvation has them up and updates them as the new cards come out.

This set coming up at the end of the month is a large set, so its prerelease event will be 6 packs of Avycyn Restored, build a 40 card deck event; so you don't need to worry as much about drafting rules. But BREAD is a good rule of thumb to follow as you sort the packs out and figure out what your strongest bombs are and so forth.

Comment

You're not the only one who wishes there were more MtG players close. Hubby and I don't have the disposable income to get a babysitter to let us go to the events at the local game shop, but sadly we don't know anyone who could just come over to our place for some casual play. We're usually stuck playing against each other, and most times Hubby's decks murder mine.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Lots of powerful stuff being spoiled. Anyone see the 4/3 red guy (or Lava Spike +1) for a single red mana? There's also Tamiyo, a sweet control planeswalker.
                      Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Comment

Working...
                      X