This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth gerund View Post
    One time in the way of the sub I was asked about 8 times (I wasn't really counting) if I wanted it toasted. I replied "No thanks" the first time and just "No" the following times, then had to stop her as she was attempting to put my sub into the toaster.

"I said 'NOT TOASTED'" repeated four times as she walked away with my sub until something finally happened inside her head. The solitary neuron fired and she stopped and looked back at me.

"Not toasted?" she said rather wistfully.
    "NOT TOASTED" I replied for about the 10th time.
    My Subway beef is that they always try to automatically put olives on my sub, when I haven't even asked for it. For a long time I thought it was because they were misunderstanding me when I said "all of the peppers", but I trained myself to stop saying that and they still try to do it.

Fortunately, it's easy to correct when the sandwich is being made in front of you, and I usually just joke with them about it when/if it happens.

Comment

I always order sandwiches with mustard, no mayo. I get the opposite—Mayo, no mustard. Finally, on a slow day in my favorite sandwich joint, I asked the person making it why she thought I had so much trouble.

She said that a lot of it was indeed autopilot. After your umpteenth Turkey Jack Special, you don’t really think about how to make it any more. She also said that “no mustard” was the most common special request, so her brain automatically heard that, instead of “no mayo.”

She suggested I try “YES mustard; NO mayonnaise.” That was worded differently enough that she had to stop and process it. I’ve used that ever since and it has really cut down on wrong sandwiches. Half the time, the person does a double take and says “wait,what?” ad then does it right.

Comment

I haven't been to a sub place in a long time, but when I was a teenager I didn't like mustard. So of course I'd order mayo only. Quite often I'd have to jump in, "no mustard!" Because their autopilot was to do both mayo and mustard. Interesting, how different each place can be. When I stopped going was when they started pushing toasted sub. And yes I had to be very insistent that I didn't want it toasted.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth nutraxfornerves View Post
          She suggested I try “YES mustard; NO mayonnaise.” That was worded differently enough that she had to stop and process it.
          You know, I've found that with IT stuff - you have to stop them from doing what they always have, and make them do it your way.

No, don't type it in the search box, type it in the address box.

Stop! Is there a unicorn at the top of the window? No. Ok what's directly under that (where there is no unicorn). Click there! Now type www,support..... I know that's not where you type it... have you seen that unicorn yet?

It's like dealing with a single minded idiot, yet these people are in charge of accounts, payroll, sales and management.

Comment

Quoth gerund View Post
            You know, I've found that with IT stuff - you have to stop them from doing what they always have, and make them do it your way.
            I know what you mean. In my case, it comes down to the persistent belief that lusers have that when I say "back-slash" (which is this character--> \ ), I mean forward-slash (which is this character--> / ).

This comes up most often when I'm having them get the workstation ID for me. There's a method you can use on our systems by typing "." in the username field on the logon screen, which will display the wks ID.

Frequent occurrence--
            J2K: "If you type '.\' in the username field, it should display the WKS ID under the login prompt. It should change from reading 'Logon to: [Network]' to reading 'Logon to: [WKS ID]"
            Them: "Uh..."
            J2K: "If it still says [Network], then you typed a forward-slash instead of a back-slash."
            Them: "Oh."

I try to avoid this sometimes by saying "Type a 'period, back-slash' in the username field-- the back-slash is the one above the Enter key."
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

All instructions must be explained in detail! Use words of one letter or less to match comprehension!
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

For me too its lettuce. I don't hate it and am not allergic to it, but I just don't like it on my sandwiches. I cannot tell you how many times when I've been somewhere, ordering a sandwich they make in front of you, they'll ask "lettuce and tomato?" as they are REACHING for the lettuce, and how many times they pull back when I say "tomato and onion" or whatever i choose to have on it that day. So def. autopilot since L&T are "standard" on sandwiches. but not mine.

Comment

For me it's tomato. I can handle cooked tomato (although it's not my favourite thing) and ketchup (as it was cooked to become ketchup) but fresh tomato gives me massive heartburn. As do bell peppers, for some reason, but not chilli peppers (so long as they're not melting my mouth, anyway). I'd love someone to explain that to me...
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I'm a short order cook/waitress/one woman show (lol) at work, and when it's busy I do sometimes hit autopilot. It happens. My pet peeve is people that don't know how to order food. Our menu board lists hamburger and cheeseburger at different prices. I hate when people order "a hamburger with mayo, lettuce, tomato and cheese." Or the opposite "I want a cheeseburger, hold the cheese."

Comment

Quoth Dizazter View Post
                      I hate when people order "a hamburger with mayo, lettuce, tomato and cheese." Or the opposite "I want a cheeseburger, hold the cheese."
                      The former group, I always assume they're trying to game the system and get free cheese. The latter group though, I just don't know... I suspect a not-insignificant number of them don't realise that hamburgers are the same as cheeseburgers-with-no-cheese; maybe they think the meat's different?
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I always order the bacon McDouble "plain", meaning ONLY with cheese and bacon, no sauce or pickles or whatever. And I always double-check the receipt to make sure it has "PLAIN" written on it.

Comment

I don't like Cheese. Especially when it's melted, but also uncooked. I sometimes even throw up noticing cheese on something i eat after a few bites. I'm not allergic, but it find it extremely disgusting. "Scraping" it away is no help, as i "know" there was cheese on it.

I don't know how many Burgers, Pizzas & Co had to be redone for me.

Once I ordered at a Pizza Place and they had to drive 3 times a 30 Minutes drive to deliver the Pizza without cheese. My Girlfriend liked it, cause we we're allowed to keep the two Cheese-Pizzas.
                          Native German, so my writing might be a bit ... special. I try my best to get better

Comment

Quoth Dizazter View Post
                            Or the opposite "I want a cheeseburger, hold the cheese."
                            Teeeeeeeny bit of devil's advocate but a few times I'd go to the Golden Arches and order the two cheeseburger combo meal with no cheese simply because there wasn't a two hamburger combo option on the menu and it was cheaper than ordering everything separately.

Comment

I'm the opposite. As a kid I didn't want any toppings on my burger, and yet so many places couldn't comprehend the idea of meat + bun + cheese. I despise pickles. Cucumbers are ok, but the brine that turns them into pickles makes them taste disgusting. Fortunately, Mr Jedi likes them, so if I forget to ask them to leave them off (or they forget and put them on), he'll eat them.
                              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

There's a Mexican place near my apartment that does good carne asada nachos, but I have gotten funny looks when I ask to have the guacamole (which I hate) and sour cream (which they get carried away with IMO) left off. Yes, that means it's just chips, meat, and cheese. This is what I want it to be.

I'm finding that for the most part, at Golden Arches, if I use the kiosk to place my own order, accuracy on the condiments does improve. It's not perfect (did get a little mustard on a burger recently, and I'm not fond of it, but the burger was edible), but it does seem to help if I'm communicating directly with the cooks/assemblers (OK, via machine) without another human's processing helping play Telegraph with the message.
                                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                                X