This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two comments on this one:

1) How did she not gather the ingredients just from it being called pork rinds?

and

2) Now I want Jello. Damn all of you!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Gummy bears are another one of those "Wait, it has what in it?" as a good number are made with gelatine (though not all).

I have a number of vegetarian friends, they are all good about it and very informed (that's where I learned about jello and gummy bears).

You know, I have never actually HAD pork rinds. I mean, my love of all things pig says they should be great, but something about them has always bugged me (I mean, how do they end up the consistency of a baked chip?)

Comment

Quoth thansal View Post
        You know, I have never actually HAD pork rinds. I mean, my love of all things pig says they should be great, but something about them has always bugged me (I mean, how do they end up the consistency of a baked chip?)
        That's the part that frightens me and turns me off of them. Never tried them don't want to.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth thansal View Post
          Gummy bears are another one of those "Wait, it has what in it?" as a good number are made with gelatine (though not all).

I have a number of vegetarian friends, they are all good about it and very informed (that's where I learned about jello and gummy bears).

It is because they are the skin. Have you ever had a chicken baked perfectly where the skin crisps up and seals in all the yummy juices? Or in my case, got a bad enough sunburn that your skin blisters were crispy? OK that was gross but I had to go there

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
            Two comments on this one:

1) How did she not gather the ingredients just from it being called pork rinds?

and

2) Now I want Jello. Damn all of you!
            Honestly she was so dingy she probably either did not read it or did not make the connection. If I was so against meat then I would probably not even want anything meat flavored like she probably thought they were.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Gelatin, by its nature, is inherently not vegan. There is, however, a vegan "make things gel" that can be used for gelatin-like desserts. It's called "agar", and is made from seaweed. As a bonus, it can withstand higher temperatures than gelatin without melting.
              Agar! That's what it is. Thanks! I'll be sure to not make that slipup in the future. Gel, not gelatin. Agar.
              "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
              "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                That wouldn't bother me at all, since I'm a not-holier-than-thou veg.
                Yeah, but if I did have a vegetarian coworker who it bothered I would do my best to avoid flaunting it in their face. Not that I wouldn't bring meat in my lunch, just that I wouldn't bring a bloody steak. But only if they weren't a bitch about it.

Quoth pageantmama View Post
                Or in my case, got a bad enough sunburn that your skin blisters were crispy?
                Yes. OK, not crispy, but blisters from sunburn. Luckily it was only a tiny patch that I missed with the sunscreen. I'm super careful now.

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                Agar! That's what it is. Thanks! I'll be sure to not make that slipup in the future. Gel, not gelatin. Agar.
                I think you can also use pectin for the same sort of thing.
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

That is epic...if I didn't know how stupid people can be I'd be shocked...
                  "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Altoids also have gelatin in them.
                    http://tinyurl.com/43hger/.gif

Comment

Quoth pageantmama View Post
                      It is because they are the skin. Have you ever had a chicken baked perfectly where the skin crisps up and seals in all the yummy juices? Or in my case, got a bad enough sunburn that your skin blisters were crispy? OK that was gross but I had to go there
                      I am notorious at home for scraping the bottom of the frying pan and catching those cripsy drippings with a spoon and laying them out to dry so I can snack on 'em.

Nom nom nom nom . . . .now I want some Bakenets.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth thansal View Post
                        It's fried piggy skin. Ya skin the bacon-wearer, drop the skin and fat into a deep-fryer until the fat fries off, and you're left with crispy airy pork rinds. I've located "shrimp chips" of the same consistency in a Lin's Buffet in ABQ. Probably not the same thing (...does shrimp even have fat cells?) but close enough.

Mom eats them with sour creme and onion dip. Ick.
                        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                          It's fried piggy skin. Ya skin the bacon-wearer, drop the skin and fat into a deep-fryer until the fat fries off, and you're left with crispy airy pork rinds.
                          You can also do them up like something called "Pork Cracklings" in my local area. They leave the fat on the skin and fry up the whole thing. The skin gets really crisp, like a really hard sourdough pretzel, while the fat puffs up just a little bit, and can be scraped off the skin, kind-of like scraping the cream middle off an Oreo. I tend to eat the fat off the skin in my mouth to give my saliva time to soften up the skin a bit to save my teeth some wear. I find them tasty, but really, really salty. Definately a sometimes-snack.

Locally, Yoder's does them best, and sells them, for sure, in Krogers, possibly other stores as well.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I had ONE pork scratching once and wanted to throw up immediately after. It was so salty!

Beef gelatine is smuggled into a lot of sweets (candy), like Haribo. (Source: Vegan gf/wife to be)

Comment

They're salty?

*Grabs the jug and eats one*

....I think I've been thoroughly preserved, I don't taste hardly any salt.
                              I think I just cracked a tooth.... wait, nevermind. It's my stupid molars coming up again.
                              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Working...
                              X