Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
    No wrestling match has ever made me so happy. It was a nail-biter but we knew Kofi could do it! 😁
    My friends and I had fun watching Wrestlemania. We weren't happy with the results of some matches (Baron Corbin? Seriously?!) but all in all, it was a good show.

And even the Angle/Corbin match was fun for us, because we were mocking Corbin's outfit making him look like he's a manager at a TGI Fridays or something, pretending like we were complaining about the service.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• I am reading a history of black metal and it's funny because there are perfectly intelligent and articulate interviews with people who have names like Necrobutcher and Satanic Slaughter.

I am trying to come up with my own black metal name. So far I have Corpse Flagellator. Is that one taken yet?
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I am trying to come up with my own black metal name. So far I have Corpse Flagellator. Is that one taken yet?
        A quick Google search says no.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I am reading a history of black metal and it's funny because there are perfectly intelligent and articulate interviews with people who have names like Necrobutcher and Satanic Slaughter.

Glancing through a book in my shop, I saw a bit of an interview with Marilyn Manson. He commented that of all his appearances and interviews, it was his visit to Sesame Street that gave him credit with his 6-year-old kid. Also, an old boss of mine was a parent in the same kid's softball league as Meat Loaf.

Comment

• That's so funny. I'm not counting on Gorgoroth being invited to Sesame Street anytime soon 😄

The whole point of having kids is do you can watch the Star Wars trailer, scream 'Lando!' at the same time and then high-five.

Comment

• Quoth MoonCat View Post
              I actually didn't ask her for advice. She's gone on about this agency before. I'm not opposed to working with them, but I wish she'd realize that it's been 20 years since she worked for them. I doubt the same people even work there anymore.

Besides which, my friend had more office skills than I do. She was an admin assistant for years at the same newspaper I worked for. I only did phone customer service/sales. There's a limit to what any agency can do for me, although I have reached out to a couple different ones.
              I know the feeling ... I've discovered that being an actual reporter on a newspaper leaves you with nowhere to go.

As for the unsolicited advice, I personally have no problem with it (it MIGHT be helpful) but only as long as (a) the person doesn't decide to check up on whether I followed it and (b) doesn't harangue me about following it.

Before I moved back to My Hometown, when I was frantically searching for a job in the Niagara Region, my sister gave me two of what I still believe were THE dumbest bits of job-hunting advice I'd heard in decades.

First: "You should set up interviews (in My Hometown) and take the train in to attend them."

Um ... for minimum-wage jobs (which is what I was looking at)? Are you out of your freaking MIND? Sis, these are five-hour train rides. Are YOU going to pay for them?

Second: "Just call the manager and keep calling! Keep calling and keep pestering him [or her] until they give you a job!"

I hadn't looked for work in a decade but even so, this didn't sound good. When I started attending job-hunting workshops, my opinion was confirmed: I was told this might have been helpful a couple of decades ago, but it's the kiss of death today.

Fortunately my sister never asked whether I was following her advice, so I didn't have to either lie or just tell her bluntly that according to job-hunting experts, she didn't know WTF she was talking about.

Good luck and I hope you find something quickly.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Overheard interaction between the lady checking me out and another employee (I assume a manager of some sort)

Manager: So you're staying until five?
                Cashier: Yes, but I need to leave right at five, just a heads up.
                Manager: Uh-hum.

Been there, done that. If a manager brushed me off after I agreed to stay out of the goodness of my heart, that would be the end of that. Further requests would be answered with "sorry, can't."
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• That did sound alarmingly vague ... like "Yeah, we'll let you go at 5 IF we don't need you any longer."
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I thought I'd read the reviews of EL James' new book for the LOLz but they're actually so bad that they're not even fun to read 😦

Comment

• Appropiately named companies:

Palfinger: makes hooklifts to convert trucks for load/unloading dumpters.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• My opinion on the latest episode of Game of Thrones:

That was the most pointless and disappointing 82 minutes of my life. Thanks HBO, my week can only get better from here.

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
                          That did sound alarmingly vague ... like "Yeah, we'll let you go at 5 IF we don't need you any longer."
                          I used to get this occasionally when I was working before-and-after school care. One site I worked at had this policy that you'd get sent home at a certain time if the ratios were low enough to justify it (ratio for us was 1 adult to 15 children generally, however if numbers dropped below 20, the expectation was to have two adults on-site until numbers dropped below 10. The only other exception was if you had a kid who had complex enough special needs to warrant another staff member on-site, they did not count towards the ratio). Thankfully when I moved to another company handling that, they a) had set schedules (meaning you stayed on-site until the end of your shift and did not leave) and b) dictated two people at all times.

Comment

• Imponderable:
                            A package of store-brand Totally Not Oreos contains thirty cookies. Three rows of ten.

The label, of every pack and flavour I've ever bought, says: serving size 2, servings per package...14. Are they preemptively accounting for broken ones? It's not like the calories leak out...
                            Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
                            They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• How the hell long does it take these days to get a response to a job application??

I'd like to know if they at least are willing to interview me before my money runs out.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

• Quoth MoonCat View Post
                                How the hell long does it take these days to get a response to a job application??

I'd like to know if they at least are willing to interview me before my money runs out.
                                My experience has been that more often than that, you don't GET a response.
                                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                                X