This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst use of lifelines ever

NEW YORK - Idaho resident Kathy Evans brought humiliation to her friends and family Tuesday when she set a new standard for stupidity with her appearance on the popular TV show, 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.'

It seems that Evans, a 32-year-old wife and mother of two, got stuck on the first question, and proceeded to make what fans of the show are dubbing 'the absolute worst use of lifelines ever.'
    After being introduced to the show's host Meredith Vieira, Evans assured her that she was ready to play, whereupon she was posed with an extremely easy $100 question. The question was:
    'Which of the following is the largest?'
    A) A Peanut
    B) An Elephant
    C) The Moon
    D) Hey, who you calling large?
    Immediately Mrs. Evans was struck with an all consuming panic as she realized that this was a question to which she did not readily know the answer.
    'Hmm, oh boy, that's a toughie,' said Evans, as Vieira did her level best to hide her disbelief and disgust. 'I mean, I'm sure I've heard of some of these things before, but I have no idea how large they would be.'
    Evans made the decision to use the first of her three lifelines, the 50/50. Answers A and D were removed, leaving her to decide which was bigger, an elephant or the moon. However, faced with an incredibly easy question, Evans still remained unsure.
    'Oh! It removed the two I was leaning towards!' exclaimed Evans. 'Darn. I think I better phone a friend.'
    Using the second of her two lifelines on the first question, Mrs. Evans asked to be connected with her friend Betsy, who is an office assistant.
    'Hi Betsy! How are you? This is Kathy! I'm on TV!' said Evans, wasting the first seven seconds of her call. 'Ok, I got an important question. Which of the following is the largest? B, an elephant, or C, the moon. 15 seconds hun.'
    Betsy quickly replied that the answer was C, the moon. Evans proceeded to argue with her friend for the remaining ten seconds.
    'Come on Betsy, are you sure?' said Evans. 'How sure are you? Puh, that can't be it.'
    To everyone's astonishment, the moronic Evans declined to take her friend's advice and pick 'The Moon.'
    'I just don't know if I can trust Betsy. She's not all that bright. So I think I'd like to ask the audience,' said Evans.
    Asked to vote on the correct answer, the audience returned 98% in favor of answer C, 'The Moon.' Having used up all her lifelines, Evans then made the dumbest choice of her life.
    'Wow, seems like everybody is against what I'm thinking,' said the too-stupid-to-live Evans. 'But you know, sometimes you just got to go with your gut. So, let's see. For which is larger, an elephant or the moon, I'm going to have to go with B, an elephant. Final answer.'
    Evans sat before the dumbfounded audience, the only one waiting with bated breath, and was told that she was wrong, and that the answer was in fact, C, 'The Moon.'

At least she didn't go away empty-handed. Instead, she got the privilege to look like a dumbass on national TV and bring shame and ridicule to her family and friends for the next 200 years. Oh, and she won't be coming back tomorrow and doesn't even get a copy of their lousy home game
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

There's a hole with no bottom.

Assuming this even happened. I don't watch Millionaire.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

A classic. But even though that one is fictional, there actually was a man who, when asked "Which of these orbits around the Earth ?
        A - The Moon
        B - The Sun
        C - Mars
        D - Venus"
        was stupid enough to choose B - The Sun, even after polling the public, which mostly indicated towards A - The Moon.
        "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
          A classic. But even though that one is fictional.
          You sure it's fictional? I've seen a screenshot of this one, with "Elephant" highlighted as the chosen answer.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

It's not a fake. It actually happened.
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Maybe she thought she was on the Discworld?
              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                You sure it's fictional? I've seen a screenshot of this one, with "Elephant" highlighted as the chosen answer.
                I've seen that screenshot, too. It's been faked. You can see the fake screenshot and the real one at the Urban Legend Reference Pages herehttp://www.snopes.com/radiotv/gameshows/millionaire.asp

Comment

Morality : don't trust anything you see on the internets. :P
                  "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                    Morality :
                    Don't smart-mouth a moderator, either.

Screenshot I saw was always a low-quality one (really bad jpg artifacts) so it's kinda hard to tell if something's shopped from those.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Oddly enough, I'm glad it's not true. I shudder to think someone like that could be out among us.
                      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                        Morality : don't trust anything you see on the internets. :P
                        Since you're saying that on the Internet, I don't trust you.

Comment

Don't smart-mouth a moderator, either.
                          I'll try to keep that in mind in the future. I'll try.

Screenshot I saw was always a low-quality one (really bad jpg artifacts) so it's kinda hard to tell if something's shopped from those.
                          Yeah, I know. Hard to tell if it's a due to low-quality JPEG compression or just bad Photoshop skills. Probably both, though.

Anyway, the first time I received this e-mail, I thought it was curious that there would be a picture around but I couldn't find a video on YouTube or elsewhere. Given that I had witnessed first hand the French show where the guy picked up "The Sun" as an answer to "Which orbits around the Earth ?", I thought it wasn't all that unlikely that someone would screw that much up

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                          Oddly enough, I'm glad it's not true. I shudder to think someone like that could be out among us.

Quoth edible_hat View Post

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                            I suspect this woman must be related to one of my coworkers . . I'll find out from ButtHead when I go in Monday to see if it's one of his relatives.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                              Since you're saying that on the internet, I don't trust you!
                              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                              X