This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
    As soon as Lesnar's music hits, it's like a "brown pants" moment, because you know that someone's about to get destroyed.
    I think this sometimes about Taker. You hear that "bong" of the gong (or whatever it is), and you just know that something bad is about to happen to his opponent...

Which reminds me, I saw an amusing YouTube video that was poking a little fun at Taker's entrance. It had the gong, the music started, and a little animated Undertaker (that looked a LOT like a South Park character) started walking down the ramp. The screen cut to black, and a little message came up that said "Two hours later..." and then it showed the little animated character getting into the ring.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
      I think this sometimes about Taker. You hear that "bong" of the gong (or whatever it is), and you just know that something bad is about to happen to his opponent...
      There are plenty of entrance "hooks" like Taker's gong or Brock's "Bweeeaaah wee ahh wee ahhhh" that have that same "Oh shit!" moment. Brock's is one of the best when he returns out of nowhere, like when he showed up to stop Vince McMahon from firing Paul Heyman. It was like Brock went "IS SOMEBODY MESSING WITH MY FRIEND?!"

It helps that even Heyman looks quietly terrified of Brock at times, like he knows "This is not a man, this is a force of nature, and all I can do is stay out of his way until he's left someone in a heap, and then stop him from killing them."

I think my two other favorite entrance hooks right now are the Wyatt Family's jump-scare (*buzz**hiss**screech*"DEA--") and The Shield's "SIERRA. HOTEL. INDIA. ECHO. LIMA. DELTA. SHIELD."

The Shield has been one of the most consistently well-booked groups in recent memory, as they are rarely made to look weak, and if they do, they show they learn from their mistakes and take pains to avoid them in the future. And even with their teasing the "cracks in The Shield" at present, they're still making sure all three men have reason to want to be the one to split away. (Ambrose, as US Champ, thinks he's better than the other two, is jealous of Reigns' recent success. Reigns has gotten several high-profile moments and was one of the final two in the Rumble after a record-setting elimination tear. Rollins is frustrated at having to be the glue to hold the team together.) I kind of want all three to keep an allegiance to one another even after the inevitable Shield break-up, coming to one another's aid in times of need.

Or even if they don't, and all three go their separate ways, I look forward to that day when one of them is in dire straits and suddenly the other two come out of nowhere to help him out, with that "SIERRA. HOTEL..." hook playing. It'd be awesome.

Quoth mjr View Post
      Which reminds me, I saw an amusing YouTube video that was poking a little fun at Taker's entrance. It had the gong, the music started, and a little animated Undertaker (that looked a LOT like a South Park character) started walking down the ramp. The screen cut to black, and a little message came up that said "Two hours later..." and then it showed the little animated character getting into the ring.
      I'm sorry, if you're making fun of the Undertaker's entrance, you're wrong. The man has the best entrance in wrestling history. (With NJPW's Kazuchika Okada's out-of-nowhere entrance with an anime sword and a DINOSAUR a close second.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I'm sorry, if you're making fun of the Undertaker's entrance, you're wrong. The man has the best entrance in wrestling history.
        No, no...not making fun at all. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Best entrance in wrestling history, period. Though I will say that when he went away from the "funeral dirge" and went to "Ain't No Grave" it lost just a little bit of it's impact. It didn't seem quite as ominous, though it did add to the "supernatural" dead man aspect.

In fact, I'm trying to get the gear and equipment so I can dress like the "Deadman" Undertaker for Halloween, with that entrance music playing out loud. And just do that slow, methodical walk.

I think that would be cool to do. I want to get the long, black trenchcoat, the hat, a wig, and put the entrance on my MP3 player, and get some small speakers to stick in the pockets, and rig it up that way.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          No, no...not making fun at all. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Best entrance in wrestling history, period. Though I will say that when he went away from the "funeral dirge" and went to "Ain't No Grave" it lost just a little bit of it's impact. It didn't seem quite as ominous, though it did add to the "supernatural" dead man aspect.
          I was in no way implying that YOU were making fun of Taker's entrance, mjr. I was implying that the people who'd made that video you mentioned were Wrong.

I actually liked "Ain't No Grave" that one year he used it. It was a nice change up, and it was fine for a one-time use. Likewise, "In Time" I find a refreshing change. I'm just waiting for them to use "God's Gonna Cut You Down." Maybe next year.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

I actually liked "Ain't No Grave" that one year he used it. It was a nice change up, and it was fine for a one-time use. Likewise, "In Time" I find a refreshing change. I'm just waiting for them to use "God's Gonna Cut You Down." Maybe next year.
            As awesome as that entrance looks on video, it must be even more awesome live.

Is "In Time" the new one? I checked out the YouTube clip where Taker confronts Lesnar for WM XXX, and it sounded like the same (or very similar) "funeral march" music to me. Am I missing something?

I'm hoping that when "the time comes", that there's not some proverbial "passing of the torch" sort of like there was with Hogan and Andre the Giant at WM III.

When Taker hangs it up, do you think there will be some sort of announcement or something (maybe a Taker speech) or do you think he'll just ride off into the sunset?

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
              As awesome as that entrance looks on video, it must be even more awesome live.

Is "In Time" the new one? I checked out the YouTube clip where Taker confronts Lesnar for WM XXX, and it sounded like the same (or very similar) "funeral march" music to me. Am I missing something?

I'm hoping that when "the time comes", that there's not some proverbial "passing of the torch" sort of like there was with Hogan and Andre the Giant at WM III.

When Taker hangs it up, do you think there will be some sort of announcement or something (maybe a Taker speech) or do you think he'll just ride off into the sunset?
              Well, Taker's still using his usual theme, but it seems that the theme for the Mania feud is "In Time."

When Taker finally hangs it up, he'll probably just quietly ride off in the sunset.

Comment

Current Wrestlemania Card
                • WWE World Heavyweight Championship Triple Threat Match - Randy Orton defends vs Batista vs [Triple H/Daniel Bryan]
                • #YesMovement vs The Authority - Daniel Bryan vs Triple H - Winner gets added to main event
                • The Righteous vs The Wicked - John Cena vs Bray Wyatt
                • The Streak vs The Beast - The Undertaker vs Brock Lesnar
                • Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal
                  Confirmed Entrants: Alberto Del Rio, Big E, Big Show, Christian, Curtis Axel, Damien Sandow, Dolph Ziggler, Fandango, Mark Henry, Ryback, Sheamus, Titus O'Neil

Recent changes:

+ Fed up with Batista and Orton second-guessing his business decisions and questioning his agreeing to add Daniel Bryan to the main event if he beats him, Triple H declared that the winner of his match would be added to the main event, further muddying the waters about who would win the HHH/Bryan match.

+ More wrestlers have added their names to the Andre the Giant 30-Man Over-the-Top-Rope Elimination Battle Royal(, Brother)

Comment

So Raw is in DC next week, which is practically next door for me, but I can't get off work to go see it. Alas.

I'm getting somewhat excited that more indie/non-mainstream wrestlers that I follow might be getting signed soon. Indie wrestlers Roderick Strong, Kevin Steen, and Mike Elgin all got tryouts down in Florida recently. Strong's not the largest guy, but he's a solid in-ring competitor. Elgin's also not tall, but he's a beast in terms of raw brute strength. And Steen? He dropped weight in preparation for the tryout (his weight's been a concern for many fans) and he's an excellent in-ring competitor, capable of doing both big-man offense and agile for a guy his size. His epic feud in ROH with El Generico (now Sami Zayn on NXT) was the stuff of legend.

Also, Prince Devitt, an Irish wrestler who primarily competes in Japan for New Japan Pro Wrestling is reportedly close to signing with WWE as well. Devitt was one of NJPW's top junior-heavyweights, and for the longest time was a pretty-boy babyface type, until he turned heel last year and became a bitter gaijin villain and leader of the Bullet Club faction. I'd normally be concerned that he'd be misused in WWE, but with how well Adrian Neville has done on NXT, I hold out some hope for Devitt.

Current Wrestlemania Card
                  • Main Event for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship - Randy Orton defends vs Batista vs ??
                  • #YesMovement vs The Authority - Daniel Bryan vs Triple H - winner gets added to main event
                  • The Streak vs The Beast - The Undertaker vs Brock Lesnar
                  • The Righteous vs The Wicked - John Cena vs Bray Wyatt
                  • Fatal 4-Way for the WWE Tag Team Championship - The Usos defend vs The Real Americans vs Los Matadores vs Rybaxel
                  • Who Will Enforce Justice? - The Shield vs Corporate Kane & The New Age Outlaws
                  • Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal - 30-Man, Over-the-Top-Rope Elimination
                    Confirmed Participants: Alberto Del Rio, Big E, The Big Show, Brodus Clay, Christian, Cody Rhodes, Damien Sandow, Darren Young, Dolph Ziggler, Drew McIntyre, Fandango, The Great Khali, Goldust, Heath Slater, Jinder Mahal, Justin Gabriel, Kofi Kingston, Mark Henry, The Miz, R-Truth, Rey Mysterio, Santino Marella, Sheamus, Sin Cara, Titus O'Neil, Zack Ryder, plus 4 unconfirmed entrants
                  • Vickie Guerrero Divas Championship Invitational - AJ Lee defends vs Aksana vs Alicia Fox vs Brie Bella vs Cameron vs Emma vs Eva Marie vs Layla vs Naomi vs Natalya vs Nikki Bella vs Rosa Mendes vs Summer Rae vs Tamina

Comment

So, do to various reasons I won't get into, I didn't get to go to Mania. Alas. Because it was a great show. As was the following night's Raw.

Wrestlemania XXX Results
                    During the pre-show, it was announced that the Four-Way Tag Team Championship Match would be elimination style, last team standing gets the titles.

Four-Way Elimination Tag Team Championship Match - The Usos retained vs The Real Americans vs RybAxel vs Los Matadores. The Matadores were eliminated first, when one of the Matadores tapped to Jack Swagger's Patriot Lock. RybAxel were eliminated second, when Ryback was planted with Cesaro's Neutralizer. The Real Americans were eliminated last, with a double superkick and then a Two-Post Massacre on Cesaro by the Usos. Post-match, Swagger and Cesaro argued, with Swagger putting the Patriot Lock on Cesaro, before Zeb Colter pulled him off. Colter ordered them to hug it out, but Cesaro grabbed Swagger and put him in the Cesaro Swing before leaving by himself.

Holy Shit You Guys The Icons! - The main show opened with Hulk Hogan coming out and talking up Wrestlemania, and bungling the name of the venue, calling it the Silverdome instead of the Superdome, although he covered it by talking up Wrestlemania III (at the Silverdome) where he bodyslammed Andre the Giant. Then Stone Cold Steve Austin came out, teased opening a can of whoop-ass on Hogan, but instead pays his respect to him, and says tonight's not about him flappin' his gums, but about the current crop of superstars to put on a show. And then The Rock came out and the goosebumps started rising. The Rock spouted off some catchphrases, and said that if it weren't for Hogan takin' his vitamins and saying his prayers, someone like John Cena wouldn't be fighting for his legacy today, and if it weren't for Austin crossing the boss and whoopin' his ass, someone like Daniel Bryan wouldn't be going up against the Authority today. They all hit their catchphrases, then shared some beers before leaving.

Winner Gets Added to the Main Event - Daniel Bryan defeated Triple H after hitting him with the Knee Plus. HHH hit Bryan with everything he could throw at him, but Bryan would not stay down. Bryan even kicked out of the Pedigree and broke free of the Crossface twice before hitting a major flurry. Post-match, Stephanie McMahon slapped Bryan, and then HHH attacked him, beat him down, and then smashed his injured shoulder with a chair against the ring post.

Six-Man Tag - The Shield defeated Corporate Kane & The New Age Corporate Outlaws in short order, with Seth Rollins pinning Billy Gunn after hitting the Outlaws with a double triple powerbomb.

Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal - Cesaro won after last eliminating Big Show. Cesaro was a surprise entrant. There were a number of impressive spots, but Kofi Kingston once again showed off his mastery of avoiding elimination. He was pressed up and over the top by the corner, and Kofi managed to land on the floor, but kept his feet on the ring steps. Cesaro still won, however, by picking up Big Show, carrying him to the ropes, and slamming him over the top to the floor.

The Battle for Cena's Legacy - John Cena defeated Bray Wyatt with the Attitude Adjustment. The story of the match was that Wyatt wanted to unearth the "monster" he believed lurked inside Cena, and Cena was desperately fighting with himself, trying not to win the match on Wyatt's terms. Wyatt invited Cena to attack him multiple times, and had the whoooole crowd in his hands. Cena was conflicted about how aggressive he wanted to fight, and in the closing moments, Wyatt brought in a chair and invited Cena to use it on him. Cena instead took out the last of Wyatt's followers with it, then reversed Wyatt's Sister Abigail into the AA for the win.

The Streak vs The Beast - Brock Lesnar broke the Streak. Lesnar dominated the match. Undertaker managed a few offensive flurries, but otherwise spent most of the match on his back, struggling even to fight back. Lesnar blocked the Old School, he powered out of the Hell's Gate, kicked out of the Tombstone, and hit Taker with three separate F-5s before pinning him to end the Streak at 21-1. The crowd was utterly shocked, as was everyone watching. There were "Bullshit" chants as Lesnar and Paul Heyman left.

Vickie Guerrero Divas Championship Invitational - AJ Lee retains the championship by tapping Naomi to the Black Widow. This was a big clusterfuck of a match, and there may have been chicanery involved in the finish, as AJ was apparently forcing Naomi's hand to tap out behind the ref's back.

Triple Threat WWE World Heavyweight Championship Match - Daniel Bryan defeated Batista and Randy Orton to become champion, tapping Batista to the Yes Lock to win. Bryan overcame everything that was thrown at him. He had a bad shoulder thanks to weeks of Authority-sponsored attacks, and especially thanks to HHH's attack earlier in the night. Orton and Batista both teamed up on him as well. HHH and Stephanie McMahon both came out and interfered, dragging out senior official Mike Chioda and summoning crooked ref Scott Armstrong. Bryan kicked Armstrong out of the ring, then dived out onto the Authority, taking out Armstrong and Stephanie. HHH grabbed his sledgehammer, but Bryan took it away and then used it against HHH, taking him out. Orton and Batista hit a combination Batista Bomb/RKO through the announce table, but Bryan still came back from that to hit both Orton and Batista with the Knee Plus before locking in the Yes Lock for the victory, completing a nine-month quest to overcome the Authority's meddling and capture the championship again.

Post-Mania Raw Results

Yes Movement Triumphant - Daniel Bryan came out to celebrate his WWE World Heavyweight Championship victory, to thunderous and continuous "Daniel Bryan" and "Yes" chants. He mentions it was a little over two years ago that he started the "Yes" chants, and now he stands here with everyone watching, getting a "You Deserve It" chant. He said that "Yes" is not just a word, it's a statement that we all have the power to make change, and because of us, he was able to beat the Authority and win the championship. At this point, Triple H & Stephanie McMahon interrupted to "Asshole" chants. HHH refused to enter the ring, lest he do something he'd regret, and told Bryan to enjoy it, because he would have to defend the championship against him, and he'd put an end to Bryan's "miracle."

The Authority Schemed - Backstage, HHH & Stephanie had to placate a furious Batista and Randy Orton, who both wanted rematches, and weren't happy that HHH had jumped in front of them. Stephanie promised they'd settle everything after Raw, and announced that the two of them had a match against the Usos for the Tag Team Championship. HHH said this is all happening for one reason, but reminded them that when the three of them work together, nothing can stop them.

Six-Man Tag - The Wyatt Family defeated Big E, Sheamus, & John Cena when Bray Wyatt hit Big E with Sister Abigail. The Wyatts were a dominant force in the match, as the Post-Mania crowd was solidly behind them, cheering every move they did and booing everything that Cena's team did. Wyatt did his creepy Exorcist reverse crab walk before setting Big E up for the finish, prompting a "Wyatt's Gonna Kill You" chant. As the Wyatts posed after the match, Cena looked on in stunned, if not horrified, disbelief.

Mixed Tag Match - Emma & Santino Marella defeated Summer Rae & Fandango when Emma tapped out Summer to the Emma Lock. The crowd was doing the "Fandangoing" song and dance during the match, which was a quick little nothing.

The Beast Triumphant - Brock Lesnar & Paul Heyman came out to gloat about breaking the Streak. Heyman did all the talking, and he talked at length about how "We told you so!" He called everyone in the back "wannabes" while Lesnar is "the one" and is above them all.

Tag Team Championship Match - The Usos retained the titles over Batista & Randy Orton via count-out when Batista and Orton stopped trying to win just to beat the hell out of the Usos to show their displeasure at their being snubbed out of rematches.

Surprise Return - Rob Van Dam defeated Damien Sandow with the Five-Star Frog Splash. Not much to say, there was some schtick revolving around Sandow interrupting RVD's chant.

I've Got Some Bad News - Bad News Barrett defeated Rey Mysterio with the Bull Hammer. This marked BNB's first match in months. Before the match, Barrett said "I'm afraid I've got some bad news," but then got interrupted by Mysterio. BNB controlled most of the match, and had a strong positive response from the crowd, which did have a noticeable contingent of British fans, who led some football chants during the match.

Impressive Debut - Alexander Rusev defeated Zack Ryder by tapping him to the Accolade. Rusev had been hyped for weeks, since his surprise debut at the Royal Rumble, with his Russian "social ambassador" Lana doing the talking for him. The match was over quick.

Destrucity! - The Ultimate Warrior gave a speech, calling the fans "legend-makers" and thanking them. He came out in a suit, and eventually put on a Warrior-style jacket, and admitted he had trouble finding the words... so he put on a Warrior-style mask and then went in-character for the rest.

Impromptu Title Match - Paige defeated AJ Lee to become Divas Champion after hitting her with the Paige Turner. AJ Lee had originally come out to gloat about her victory, and 295-day reign, and how no one in the Divas locker room could beat her. Paige, an NXT women's wrestler and NXT Women's Champion, came out to congratulate her, but AJ said she didn't need her congratulations and challenged her to a match. Paige declined, saying she wasn't ready, but AJ slapped her and called for a referee anyway, then declared he'd put the title on the line anyway. Paige fought out of the Black Widow and hit the Paige Turner to win the title in a surprise debut and upset.

Trophy Presentation Ceremony - Hulk Hogan presented the trophy to Cesaro from the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal. Cesaro came out with Zeb Colter, who took the microphone and talked up Cesaro "becoming a Real American and a Zeb Colter guy." Cesaro interrupted and said he's not a "Zeb Colter guy, I'm a Paul Heyman Guy." Paul Heyman came out and confirmed he is now the advocate for the "King of Swing" Cesaro. Jack Swagger attacked Cesaro and smashed the trophy.

Impromptu Match - Cesaro defeated Jack Swagger via countout when Swagger and Colter took a walk after Cesaro started to rally back after Swagger's attack.

The Authority Schemes Again - Backstage, Stephanie McMahon & Kane talked to The Shield about the importance of making sure that Triple H walks out the WWE World Heavyweight Champion. The Shield mocked Kane not having the New Age Outlaws with him, which triggered an angry outburst from Kane, who said HHH sees them for what they are: nameless, faceless, and expendable, and went on to blurt out that the gang attack on The Shield from Smackdown came at HHH's order, before Stephanie could shut him up. Stephanie said that Bryan as champion is an injustice, which is what The Shield is supposed to combat against. They need to be on the same page, because what the boss wants, he gets.

The Authority Defied - The WWE World Heavyweight Championship Match ended in a no-contest as Randy Orton and Batista came out to beat down Daniel Bryan before HHH even made his entrance. Then Kane came out and gave Bryan a chokeslam as well. HHH ordered the referee to ring the bell, but before he could capitalize, The Shield came out and stood off against the Authority, with Roman Reigns hitting HHH with the Spear, Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins taking out Batista & Orton with suicide dives, and Reigns laying out Kane with a Superman Punch. The Shield circled HHH, who tried to talk them down, but turned around into a Knee Plus from Daniel Bryan. Bryan and The Shield stood tall as the show went off the air.

In short, AMAZING shows, plus three NXT stars made debuts or vignette appearances this week, as Paige made a splash, and two vignettes each played for Bo Dallas (being "inspirational" promos about needing to "Bo-lieve" in yourself) and Adam Rose (being peeks inside the Exotic Express party bus into the neverending party of Adam Rose and his Rosebuds).

It's a great time to be a WWE fan.

Comment

Working...
                    X