This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Louis, Missuri help

So my manager is going to Grad school up there, and has only been there for the open house, at Washington University.

Anyone on here from around there? He's looking for things to do, "safe" places to live, rate of rentals near the college, public transportation, etc. Basically anything useful for a white male moving there essentially alone.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

I'll send you a PM. I grew up there and then lived there again for a while between 2011 and 2012 so I can give a few pointers.
    "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Ok, I'm better at answering questions than volunteering info. That said, I'm calling Hazelwood these days which is in northwest St Louis county, so I'll happy to help if I can. What brings, WashU? Lets see, that's by University City, alright area as far as I know, but go west, not east if you look elsewhere to live.
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I live in Imperial which is just south of STL.

Go west pay big bucks. go east (central west end) pay big bucks.

Go north, depends where you go, prices are okay.

Go south and depending on how far you want to drive you can find very cheap.

Go really east(the other side of east st louis) you can find good prices but long commute..

And I have been here almost 10 years myself.

Also if you live in St Louis MO(city not county) there is a 1% income tax for living there.

Comment

Also St Louis is really big on charging for credit checks for getting into an apartment, and if you dont get the place you dont get it back.

Look at craigslist. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/

Comment

I grew up in StL, but haven't lived there since 2001, so my information might be dated.
            University City was a decent neighborhood, and parts of it are within walking distance of WashU. Clayton was also nice, and downtown Clayton had lots of shops and restaurants, but it's more expensive. Generally, the farther west you go, the more expensive it gets. North was considered sketchy (Mom always warned us never to go to north StL). Don't know much about south.

As I recall, public transportation was rather good. There were busses going just about everywhere, and they'd put in light rail not long before I left.

For stuff to do, there's a really good zoo (probably the best I've seen anywhere), a good science museum, an art museum, a stadium, and there might still be riverboat gambling. There's a place called The Loop that had indie shops and an arthouse theater. Six Flags is about a 45 minute drive away.
            Random Doctor Who quote:
            "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
            I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

Working...
            X