This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proud of my community

* Note - this is not a request for donations at all.

I live in a rural mining port town, the town is one of those ones where people just work hard, do what they need to do and live happily.

This community has been slammed in recent years by floods and storms, so many people have lost everything - everything except their kindness.

This morning, on the local radio, a lady called in desperately, she and her children had been in a bad car accident - her little 3 year old daughter has been critically injured - quadriplegic. I know of this family, they would not ask for help unless they were unbelievably desperate.

Within a few hours, the funds needed for the medical care have been raised from the community, and soon I'm going out to join a work crew to construct the wheel chair ramps for her house.

Love being a volunteer!

That is fantastic! Lovely community.

If anyone in your community is a skilled animal trainer, the community may want to support the trainer/vet/girl team in training a service dog for her.

The trainer will know what's needed, or will be able to research it. But a dog can do all sorts of things for her, from turning on and off light switches to bringing her things, to (partly) helping her to dress.

The more 'independance' she has, the better her quality of life.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Just got back from helping build a ramp - there were more people than jobs, so I would not be surprised if people have started motions for the longterm care of this family.

Comment

Hooray for rural communities!

Comment

Working...
        X