This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rather condescending, aren't you?

I'm an accountant, and have worked with the same business clients for years. I get along well with all of my clients, and rarely have anything to post. I work for a CPA, so while I don't do taxes, I do have to deal with the people who come in to drop off and pick up their tax returns. I have also picked up a fair amount of general tax knowledge over the 15 years I have worked here.

Last week a tax client calls in with a question but since the CPA was out of the office she asked if I was an accountant. Generally when people ask that they really mean am I a CPA, so I told her that no, I was not a CPA.

Her response was "Oh, that's okay sweetie. That test is hard, and I know a lot of people who couldn't pass it" in the most condescending tone I've ever heard!

While I could have answered her questions, I simply told her that I'd have the CPA call her when he got back.

It doesn't sound so bad reading it here, maybe it's just the stress of being the last days of tax season, but it just really irritated me. I'm not a CPA by choice, I never took the exam and never will take the exam. I'll just stick with my business clients.
    TANSTAAFL

Quoth bookworm View Post
    Her response was "Oh, that's okay sweetie. That test is hard, and I know a lot of people who couldn't pass it" in the most condescending tone I've ever heard!
    If she'd been there in the room with you, she probably would've patted you on the head. Yeah, I hate condescending customers. I can't tell you how many times I've helped someone and instead of telling me "thank you," they say "good girl!" in the exact same tone you'd say it to a Golden Retriever!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

"How did you do on the test, Ma'am?....Mmmhmm...That's what I thought."
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        If she'd been there in the room with you, she probably would've patted you on the head. Yeah, I hate condescending customers. I can't tell you how many times I've helped someone and instead of telling me "thank you," they say "good girl!" in the exact same tone you'd say it to a Golden Retriever!
        This!!! I HATE this. I am not a dog! (might be getting long in the tooth but I'm NOT that ugly..I think ) It really is demeaning to speak that way to another adult who is helping you with a business transaction.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Had this old lady who apparently is a regular customer though for the life of me I've never seen in the store or even recognized her name as a photo customer. Anyway, she's talking to me like I'm her bestest and oldest friend. I was helping her with a picture but it wasn't coming out the way she wanted.

She comes out with this gem "Well, you sure did try honey. You sure did try."

After that I just wanted to tell her to fuck off and get out of my face. Don't treat me like I don't know what I'm doing. I do the best with what I know. I try to make sure that the customer goes away happy. That's the one thing that just makes me madder than anything.

I had another old woman tell me I wasn't good at my job. About five months after I helped her. That's all I can say about that bitch because I'm still fuming over that one and it's been about two years. You never forget the evil ones and this old woman was one.
          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

For those who think I'm doing easy gruntwork that "anyone" can do, i.e. "You're just pushing some buttons" , it's kinda telling that THEY can't do it themselves because they're always calling me....
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

This is up there alongside the "get a real job" brigade for me. You can't do what I'm doing, that much is obvious because you're having to ask for my help to do it!
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                ...they say "good girl!" in the exact same tone you'd say it to a Golden Retriever!
                Look at them with dead eyes and say, low-pitched and distinctly pronounced, "Woof."
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                  Look at them with dead eyes and say, low-pitched and distinctly pronounced, "Woof."
                  I've actually done that before.

Always changes their tune . . . wonder why?
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I growl at people that talk to me like a dog. When they ask why I'm growling, I tell them that the dog in me likes to bite anyone that doesn't give it a treat.

Comment

I always tell them "If you can do my job better than me why am I here, if you cant then don't try and tell me how to do it"

I hate people that are condescending and think they know better than me at my profession.

Comment

Working...
                      X