Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't tell ME how to do it!!........How do you do it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't tell ME how to do it!!........How do you do it?

I overheard a convo today that reminded me of an incident from years back.

Many moons ago I worked for an indie shop that specialized in European cars. We mostly did German cars such as VW and Audi, Mercedes, Porsche and the like, we even had a couple of Ferrari's(JOY), yes I know they're Italian. This tale involves an early Audi S4.

The S4 has a turbocharged engine, and therefore has a pressure-relief valve, also known as a blow-off valve. Not all turbo engines have one, but most do. The function of this little widget is to vent the boost pressure from the turbo when the throttle blade is closed to prevent damage to the turbo as well as to keep the turbo spooled up to maintain power. Make sense? Good.

The S4 was not boosting, meaning it made no power. One of the techs was going over it trying to find the problem to no avail, and he had been on it for nearly a day. I had read on the 'net a couple of days prior that the S4's had an issue with the blow-off valve not closing all the way, allowing all the boost to escape before it got to the engine. I thought I would play nice with the tech and mention this. Ha ha.

Me: Have you checked the BOV? Audi had an issue with them not closing all the way causing a major power loss.

Tech: Are you working on this car? Do I come into parts and tell you how to look shit up? FUCK OFF!!!

Me: Right-o. Have fun.

I ignored him to the best of my ability for the rest of the day, until he came up the the counter with a stupid look on his face about 6 hours later.

Tech: Oh, uh hi. I need a uh, pressure relief valve mumble mumble.....

Me: A what now? A blow-off valve? Neat. Imagine that. Think of all the jobs you could have done in the 6 hours that you wasted checking everything but the BOV. Shocking. The parts guy does know something!

Tech: Why don't you rub it in?

Me: I wouldn't except you were a major asshole to me when I tried to help you out. Deal with it.

After that, we got along swimmingly.

EDIT: I suppose I should have put this in Cursing out Coworkers. If a mod has the inkling to move it, please do.
    I know nothing and I can prove it!

Please tell me you had the part looked up and in hand so when he asked for you you could just say "here you go" and

Comment

I had it looked up, but I had to order it.

Comment

But did he at least buy you a beer after work ?

Comment

At least he had the decency to act ashamed about it when he came in.
          Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth BossLady View Post
            But did he at least buy you a beer after work ?
            Not then, but at one point he did buy me a beer.

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
              At least he had the decency to act ashamed about it when he came in.
              I don't think he had much choice.

Comment

Well it is the last place you look. It is rare, when it is the first place that you look
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                  Well it is the last place you look. It is rare, when it is the first place that you look
                  And when it is the first place you look, it's also the last.
                  "Have muck knowledge, but no certainties. Live. I am sorry, Sorianna." -Gverion

Check out my DeviantArt Site
                  Or my Webcomic!

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                    Quoth Sorianna View Post
                    And when it is the first place you look, it's also the last.
                    True, because you stop looking.

The reason he checked everything else first was to prove me wrong so he could point and say "See!?! Leave it to the pros!"

Blow-off valve, FTW.

Comment

Reminds me of a story my dad told me once from his days with Burroughs as a field engineer. Not exact, but similar.

One day they get a call that a customer's mainframe is blowing a particular circuit board. So one of his co-workers goes out, replaces it, flips the power, poof! Blown board. His solution? Get out the chip clips and start digging into the board logic to try to figure out why it's blowing. Spends 3 days working on it to no avail. Then, he gets pulled to another job and my dad gets the assignment. Dad's first action: Check the power. Looks behind the mainframe, and sure enough, a paper clip had fallen behind it and wedged itself into the power connector, shorting it. Remove paper clip, replace the board, and voila. Working mainframe. Fixed in 5 minutes.

My dad's co-worker was peeved, but hey, his fault for not checking the easy stuff first. So my dad's advice before I left to start my career, "Look for the easy solutions first." Good advice for that guy in the OP.
                      A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Working...
                      X