This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well...that escalated quickly...

Just needed to vent...this week has been a very stressful one. Naturally, the week itself has included some of the usual at-work stupidity with SCs, although they haven't been awful enough to really make me all that upset on their own. No, the worst parts of this week have been the parts I found out about while I was at home.

First, on Thursday, I found out about a news story about the place where I had a townhouse rented for about 5-6 years. Apparently, some of the high-rise apartment buildings in that complex have had to be evacuated and shut down because they found asbestos in them. I would feel ok, since i never lived in those buildings, but the management company there is being extremely dodgy, and so no one knows if there was asbestos in other buildings or not. Which means that, potentially, I spent years in a townhouse with horrible shit that contaminates things, and causes cancer. Yay.

So, that was annoying...but I could reasonably put that to the back of my mind. InFamous Second Son came out on Friday, which was a nice distraction, and I was gleefully playing it before work when my fiancee came to come talk to me...and he said the most unexpected thing ever.

"Our landlord was just murdered."

Yeah. Apparently, he was indeed. Now, these days we've been renting a house with a group of friends, so now we have to worry about all kinds of stress items: when/how will someone contact us in the house? Was he still married, or had his divorce gone through? Is someone inheriting the house, or is it going to go to the bank? How long is it going to be before we're told to pack up and move?

So yeah, this week's been weird. I really just want to call off work tonight and break things to relax, but I guess I'd better stock up on extra cash now, just in case we have to move in a hurry...I want a cookie
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

*hugs* I'm sorry.
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
      I want a cookie
      I think I've got some Pillsbury Hershey Chunk cookies to be baked...I could bake them and send them your way if you'd like.

Or just give you internet cookies and a hug.

That really bites, all in all.
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

About the asbestos, it's completely harmless in most cases. If it's in concrete, which a lot of it was, then unless you drill into it or hit it with a hammer, you're completely fine. If it's sheeting for fire proofing, then again unless you break it apart then you're fine.
        It's only the little floaty fibres from this that cause problems.

Comment

We have asbestos in the siding of our house. The architect's report recommended we get the siding tested; the technician who told us about it said much the same as Kal. While the asbestos is contained within the siding, it's safe. We also had a siding replacement group check the place last year; they said the siding is fine for now.

My own research says the same: asbestos is very difficult to mine or process safely, and in aging buildings, it's difficult to remove it safely. It can also be dangerous if someone renovates without suitable precautions.
          But if it's not in its 'little floaty lung irritants' stage, it's safe enough.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

*gives KhirasHY a truckload of cookies*
            1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
            -----
            http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

So yeah, this week's been weird. I really just want to call off work tonight and break things to relax, but I guess I'd better stock up on extra cash now, just in case we have to move in a hurry...I want a cookie

Trolley-load of cookies on their way across the Atlantic; virtual ones, of course; hope you like peanut butter / chocolate chunk...

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post

"Our landlord was just murdered."
                Wow. I'm so sorry for you.
                cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I'm sorry, but that Ronald McDonald pic...is hilarious...

But I am sorry about the landlord.
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Well, got some good news updates finally...thankfully, our landlord had a living trust set up, so his sister has taken over as landlord of the house. Apparently, 2 days before his unfortunate demise, he had been talking to her about how much he loved having us in this house, and how much we took care of it...so that was great news. When she stopped by, she was more than happy to continue our existing situation with rent, so we're trying to sign a new long-term lease to keep things happy. So the situation is still shitty, but it's at least not quite as shitty as it was before

Also, more Ronald pics for Tama.

Comment

Oh wow, Ronald can sure be badass when he wants.

It's good you were able to stay in your house. And how nice that he thought so much of you guys. :-)
                      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Now, we just have to figure out how long the arbitrary wait time is before we mention that the garage door has been broken for months, and the old landlord hadn't come by to get it fixed before he...uh...yeah.

We are temporarily delaying THAT awkward conversation.

Comment

Working...
                        X