Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Real) reasons why Australia is the weirdest country on earth.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Real) reasons why Australia is the weirdest country on earth.

Some reasons (real!) why Australia is so weird.

1. Captain Bligh - Mutiny on the Bounty guy - was one of our Governers during our penal-colony era.

2. We lost a Prime Minister (Harold Holt). We still haven't found him.

3. We voted for Queen Elizabeth. We're the only people who've ever voted for her. (I won't go so far as to say we're the only people who've ever voted for a Monarch, but ... )
    (ref: Australia's Republic referendum, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austral...ferendum,_1999)

4. We imported rabbits. When it turned out to be an ecological disaster, we built a rabbit-proof fence. With rabbits on both sides!

5. Edlided for fratch-worthiness.
    Last edited by Seshat; 04-08-2014, 04:57 AM.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

6. Kangaroos, koalas, platypuses

And now to follow some of those links and maybe learn something interesting and new to me! Yay!
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Does anyone know what HAPPENED to that missing guy?
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Iirc it's a pretty dangerous stretch of water he went swimming in, close to the mouth of Port Phillip Bay, the "largest body of water with an opening out to sea that small"
        Apparently it was rough at the time and he had some health issues... Not something you'd catch me doing...

Another of our Prime Ministers held the record for the shortest time chugging beer outnofma yardstick... Classy folk we are

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
          6. Kangaroos, koalas, platypuses

And now to follow some of those links and maybe learn something interesting and new to me! Yay!
          Roos are really only a hazard if you happen to get close to them period (out on the road or otherwise). Koalas are just a road hazard, but harmless otherwise. Platypuses are monotremes: means that they're mammals but they lay eggs

The real dangers are the Cassowaries

Quoth prjkt View Post
          Another of our Prime Ministers held the record for the shortest time chugging beer outnofma yardstick... Classy folk we are
          I think that was Bob Hawke.

My state is also the only state in Australia to touch borders with every other state/territory barring the ACT and Tasmania.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

2. We lost a Prime Minister (Harold Holt). We still haven't found him.
            Nobody's perfect.

Hey, we lost Jimmy Hoffa and Judge Crater, and nobody's found them, either!
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The Wikipedia brief about Harold Holt's disappearance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Holt#Disappearance

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

* Also, I forgot that poor Governor Bligh (Mutiny on the Bounty guy) had ANOTHER mutiny, when he was our Governor.
                It's known as the Rum Rebellion and is the only time our government has had an armed takeover.

* We've also had a coup d'etat: you guys remember the US government having the budget blocked? Happened to us, too. It's known as The Dismissal, and resulted in our Governor-General, with the permission of Queen Elizabeth II, dismissing parliament and calling a re-election of every seat.

* Batman is our current Shadow Minister for Justice.
                Okay, technically the representative for the seat of Batman. But it's funnier said the other way.
                His full title is "The Honourable David Ian Feeney, Representative of Batman, Shadow Minister for Justice and Assistant Shadow Minister for Defence."

Comment

Shadow Minister! For realz? Sounds like a video game!
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yes, for realz. Doesn't every democracy have Shadow Ministries? I think I'm about to learn something!

Whichever party or coalition of parties holds the government appoints Ministers for the various government departments. The Minister is responsible for seeing that that department runs smoothly, and implementing policy.

The Opposition (the other party/coalition of parties) and potentially the independants and minor parties, select Shadow Ministers. The Shadow Ministers are responsible for leaning over the metaphorical shoulders of the Ministers, jogging their elbows, and pointing out their mistakes.

For Realz.

Basically, the Shadow Ministers are there to .. well, to help, by providing constructive criticism. In theory. In practice, some provide constructive criticism, and some Ministers take it. Others ... are more immature.

Edit to come up with an immature title for the Representative for Batman: BATMAN: Dark Minister for Justice, Defence and the Australian Way!
                    Last edited by Seshat; 04-10-2014, 01:46 AM.

Comment

I live in the only Australian state to not share borders with anyone! (Tasmania) We have a Batman Bridge down here too.

Platypus males actually have poisonous spurrs on their hind feet, not fatal but they apparently hurt for quite a while.

Echidnas are our other monotreme - they're lovely little things, sort of like an overgrown hedgehog.

Monotremes produce milk from modified hair ducts.

Our political parties are weird. Of the major parties, the Liberals are everything but - very conservative mostly. Labor tends to spend big on welfare (well, historically anyway).

Then we have the Fishermen's Party, the Sex Party, the Pirate Party, and more other odd little fringe groups than you can imagine. Our last Federal election, the senate voting paper was about 3' long!

Comment

I read some where a former Premier of New South Wales grew up in the town I live in. (note: I live in the US)
                        Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

We're one of few countries that eats our national animals...
                          Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                            The real dangers are the Cassowaries
                            I thought that honour went to drop bears..?
                            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                              I thought that honour went to drop bears..?
                              You can protect yourself from the drop bears if you know how.

Cassowaries on the other hand...if you go near them and piss them off, you'd better be near your car or be able to run like usain bolt. They have a very mean kick that can tear you up-literally
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                              X