Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to say that having the flu means you can't be hungry - 2 of my kids had H1N1 (tested positive, we didn't just diagnose them). Except for one day (and I think that was due to them Theraflu, not the actual illness), their appetite was fine. They both had mild cases, and the worst part of the whole thing was keeping 2 kids happy while quarantined in their bedroom. So, it is possible to have the flu and be fine - all cases are not created equal. The only reason my kids were tested was because they showed 2 symptoms and I had a newborn at home, so I needed to know.

Comment

Last time that I had the flu, I had an appetite; problem is, eating anything other than dry toast resulted in immediate ejection of stomach contents. That totally sucked, being hungry and unable to eat anything most of the time. I spent a month living on toast with Lucozade drinks on the side, and lost a stone.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
        Last time that I had the flu, I had an appetite; problem is, eating anything other than dry toast resulted in immediate ejection of stomach contents. That totally sucked, being hungry and unable to eat anything most of the time.
        Ugh. I had a stomach bug two years ago where that was my situation for about 24 hours (after spending the previous night sitting up with my 4-year-old who had the bug). I spent the day nibbling on one saltine cracker and drinking Pedialyte and ginger ale (because it was the only thing I could keep down).
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
          Last time that I had the flu, I had an appetite; problem is, eating anything other than dry toast resulted in immediate ejection of stomach contents. That totally sucked, being hungry and unable to eat anything most of the time. I spent a month living on toast with Lucozade drinks on the side, and lost a stone.
          I had a stomach bug like that... I was SO HUNGRY but everything I ate made me feel horribly sick. I imagine that's what it's like to live with Crohn's and other gut diseases. Awful.

Comment

Okay, a couple years ago I had the worst food poisoning. I only threw up a couple times, but had terrible diarrhea (sorry, tmi) and my stomach just ached. I mean, it hurt like I'd drunk drain cleaner, it was sore. I was quite hungry but couldn't face eating much. I had saltines, dry toast, plain white rice, apples, bananas. Basically anything fairly bland which was supposed to help stop the runs. Oh, and Poweraid, which I was thinking would help with electrolytes but I'm not really sure about that. Took at least a week for me to feel right again, which isn't normal for me at all.

My mom was worried because once my dad had to be hospitalized for dehydration when he had the flu. But I really don't think I had the flu, it was around New Years two or three years ago, when we had potlucks and such at work. A CW started throwing up literally in the same hour as I did. At that point I suppose just the amount of fluids I was losing was what was scary. Mental note: Keep my apartment clean because I never know when I'll be sleeping on the bathroom floor!
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
              ginger ale
              ginger ale. the one thing guaranteed to my my nausea a 100 times worse. *glares at ginger ale*

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                With the flu (or any other illness involving nausea) you want bland food, and highly nutritious if you can get it, but bland is paramount..
                So if an ill-behaved child gets the flu, do you put them on the BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) diet?
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  So if an ill-behaved child gets the flu, do you put them on the BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) diet?
                  Influenza is mainly a respiratory virus, only occasionally involves the stomach or bowels. Gastroenteritis, or "stomach flu" is vomiting with or without diarrhea. The BRAT diet is best although you are not limited to those 4 foods. You want uncomplicated carbs that are low in fat: saltine crackers, boiled potatoes, pasta without oily sauce, etc. You also want plenty of clear liquids, especially liquids with calories such as apple juice, 7-up, Ginger ale, GatorAde. Pedialyte is a rip-off. Nothing wrong with it but it is way, way overpriced. Google oral rehydration solution for a recipe for home-made Pedialyte.

For influenza, even if you got a flu shot you can still get a strain of flu that is different than the one the shot was designed for. It's important to get in to see a doctor or nurse practitioner within 48 hours, as Tamiflu can make a difference but must be started within 48 hours of symptom onset in order to work. Influenza is usually profound sudden fatigue and aching, usually with fever and cough. You feel wiped out. literally like you were hit by a truck. Thus the urging to get out of bed and get in within 48 hours, most patients do not because they feel too awful to get out of bed in time.
                  Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                  TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post

My mom was worried because once my dad had to be hospitalized for dehydration when he had the flu.
                    That was me when I was.....5? Only time I've ever had to stay overnight in the hospital.

I remember mom getting me in the car to take me to the doctor and then going back in the house for something. Which was enough time for me to barf all over myself.

One of the things they gave me in the hospital was plain beef broth. I wonder if that would be fine to have should I get the stomach bug again (but hopefully not anytime soon; I just got it last month).
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                      Me: He's still eating frozen peas as a snack? He eats that many?

EE: Oh . . yeah..
                      Heck, I do that (and sugar snap peas too), and I'm 48.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                        ginger ale. the one thing guaranteed to my my nausea a 100 times worse. *glares at ginger ale*
                        I went for ginger tea, made of 100% ginger. I'm not sure how much actual ginger is in ginger ale.

Comment

my stomach hates ginger so none please

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                            I'm not sure how much actual ginger is in ginger ale.
                            Having shopped different brands for morning sickness last fall, I'm fairly certain it varies depending on brand. Some seem to use more ginger than others. Microbrewery ginger ales seem to be the best bet.
                            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              Definitely needs to be recorded in the patient files for both children that the sperm donor feeds them at inappropriate times. I can just imagine this scenario:
                              it's happened actually.
                              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                                Having shopped different brands for morning sickness last fall, I'm fairly certain it varies depending on brand. Some seem to use more ginger than others. Microbrewery ginger ales seem to be the best bet.
                                Probably best to avoid Crabbies unless another effect is what you're looking for... then again, might help send you off to sleep. XD

When I had flu, I simply could not sleep at all. Eventually, I gave up trying and instead watched loads of movies. Like one night, the entire extended version of the LOTR trilogy.
                                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                                X