Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
      Irv's a nonstop Simpsons reference.
      Redacted per non-disclosure agreement...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
        (And I'm sorry, there's no HIPAA between you and customers or even you and your boss. There's just your dignity which apparently you're supposed to discard at the door.)
        No, but she was unprofessional to tell Food Lady what her pain should be.

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
        I hope you file a complaint or refuse to sign the stupid write up.
        Never refuse to sign a write up. DO add your own version of events to the write up before you sign it, and get a copy.

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        I don't think I have a leg to stand on. The company isn't requiring me to talk about my medical stuff. My boss has never told me I have to answer questions, only that I'm not allowed to be offended at such questions. That's not illegal. It's just a stupid opinion.
        I think you're right on that.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Hugs Food Lady. I am in awe of your willingness to be nice. I've had people ask my about my burn scar on my arm and I was never as polite as you were.

Comment

I once read an article aimed at people recovering from self-injury behavior, and how to answer questions about scars. Maybe try a few of these? If you say it the right way, it might be enough humor to deflect attention away from stuff you don't want to talk about:
            • When they say "don't feed the bears", they MEAN it
            • I lost a fight with a weed whacker
            • You have to be careful with eggs (this one might just confuse them, but maybe that's what you want...how they heck does one hurt oneself with eggs?)
            • It's an old Ninja injury, flares up sometimes
            • It's a mishap from training fighting hampsters
            Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 04-13-2016, 01:49 PM.
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I LOVE those! Confusion is excellent!!!

Comment

It really aggravates me how insistent some people can get when asking about personal things. I pretty much don't wear shorts in public, as I'm tired of explaining the scars on my legs to random strangers. Can't just get away with a simple explanation either, they always want to get the story behind it.

Short story; running through the woods at night, tried to go through raspberry brambles. May as well run through concertina wire(the razory stuff that makes barbed wire look like it's made for kids)

Full story, without writing a book; Above is true, add to it that I and two other 12 year old kids were running for our lives(we assumed) from the people that abducted us from camp. Tied up in sleeping bags, whipped with sticks, covered in mud and feathers in front of a bonfire where people in masks are hooting and hollering. Someone near the fire yelled "bring me the sacrifices" fire-lit silhouettes turned towards us, we freaked, fought, lucky nut shot made on a captor, we ran like scared rabbits. We got lost, found a trail, then found a road. Sheriff's deputy found us walking along the road an hour later. Deputy starts chastising us for running away from camp, "running away isn't going to help your homesickness" and other platitudes. All three of us start talking at once, and at some point in the "masks, killers, psychos, they were gonna light us on FIRE!" etc he decided he needed to take us to the hospital instead of back to camp. Camp and leaders called, hospital insisted on calling our parents as well. Big bruhaha in the ER. Deputy had to pull a parent off a leader at one point. Begged not to go public with the story, etc. Eventual result, after threats of lawsuits and reporters, group paid our medical bills and counselling, one of our leaders no longer allowed to be affiliated, 3 older kids kicked out from the group, and the already existing anti-hazing regulations for the group got another rewrite and all camps operated by the group had to undergo special training for hazing and bullying. Our parents signed a NDA over the settlement, but I think I've been vague enough. Not like my 12 year old tushie signed it, lol.
                Last edited by BearLeeBadenaugh; 04-13-2016, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                  I once read an article aimed at people recovering from self-injury behavior, and how to answer questions about scars. Maybe try a few of these? If you say it the right way, it might be enough humor to deflect attention away from stuff you don't want to talk about:
                  • When they say "don't feed the bears", they MEAN it
                  • I lost a fight with a weed whacker
                  • You have to be careful with eggs (this one might just confuse them, but maybe that's what you want...how they heck does one hurt oneself with eggs?)
                  • It's an old Ninja injury, flares up sometimes
                  • It's a mishap from training fighting hampsters
                  When I had frozen shoulder (which isn't obvious, until you try to move your arm certain ways) I told a couple of people I "fell off the pole." Got them laughing. But these weren't customers, I only get those on the phone (unless some lost soul walks into the building...don't even get me started).
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                    You have some nosy customers. Try this. Do you have carpal tunnel? No.
                    "No" is a lie. I shouldn't have to, nor am I willing to lie just to avoid trouble. I don't know how to get around a yes or no question, I guess, unless it's a joke answer. Maybe I need y'all to coach me on that.

Also, it's been a week and I haven't been asked to sign anything, so I guess "documenting" it is different from a write-up, unless she'll hit me with one later on. "Yeah, here's the documentation from that incident that happened last month."
                    Last edited by Food Lady; 04-17-2016, 04:03 PM.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Add on to it.

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                      No, but she was unprofessional to tell Food Lady what her pain should be.

Never refuse to sign a write up. DO add your own version of events to the write up before you sign it, and get a copy.

I think you're right on that.
                      When one company I worked tried to have us workers sign a form that said we were responsible for any injuries that happen at work, I wrote in ink over the form that I will take full responsibility for any injuries as soon as the company supplies all the safety equipment that the company's own manual said would be supplied to all workers.

Since the company did not supply all the equipment, and since the boss was too busy to look at the forms when he collected them, they would had an interesting talk to my lawyers if I had got injured at work.

If they give you a write-up never sign it before you first write in your description of the events.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                        If they give you a write-up never sign it before you first write in your description of the events.
                        In addition, if your description is not on the same page as your write-up (such as it is on the back, or an attached sheet of paper) then you should write next to your signature or in the place of your signature that your response is either attached or on the back of the sheet and you should sign your response. I used to work in HR, and we had a supervisor who asked us to lose the response the employee wrote, which would have been very easy, since it was attached to the write-up with a paper clip, and there was nothing on the official sheet indicating there was a response. Fortunately, my boss, Dir of HR, refused and then started an investigation into that supervisor, which led to them leaving the company.

Comment

This is exactly why my work shirt has long sleeves. I don't want to field stupid questions from people about the self harm scars on my arms. Once I had to get new uniform and HR tried to fob me off with short sleeves, so I showed them my arms and explained exactly why I don't want everyone seeing. I got my long sleeved shirts.
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                          X