Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what do you want to be when you grow up?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At Hotel 4+2, a guest wanted me to look something up online. Our computers had the web browsers blocked (Corporate trusted none of their peons). I explained to the guest that I couldn't access the web.

SC: "Of course you can! Those computers are hooked up to the Internet, right? You know how to use the Internet, right?"
    Me: "Yes, I do. But our company blocks the browsers on these computers."
    SC: "You don't know how to search for things? Well I guess that's why you're working at a place like this, then!"

At that point I stopped being pleasant. Which pissed her off more, but fuck that.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
      No this is what happens if you go to a for profit technical school, burnout, go back for programming but graduate in 2009 with a diploma and everyone wants a degree so you go back for that and end up with 70k of students loans. I'm standing over here with 2 bachelor degrees and 3 diplomas. I am waiting for someone to say that about me, oh god do I want to lay the epic level smackdown if any one makes a comment about me not going to college.
      I am kinda the opposite thing though I did not go into debt for college.

I have 2 degrees -- a 2-year associate in computer programming and a 4 year bachelors degree BSBA with a heavy emphasis in programming/MIS/CIS.

I did the white collar thing for 13 odd years and got tired of being the "throwaway" employee. Meaning that when my "job" was finished (even though I was full time and salaried) I was the first to get "laid off" to "persue other things". (code for we the employer let you the employee go). I only quit 2 jobs in my somewhat short career.

Yeah pizza delivery is NOT the greatest job in the world but I can live humbly and maybe buy a house someday soon if things work the right way and I can get a few breaks.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Question: What do you want to be when you grow up?

Answer: Retired.

And I am.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
          Yeah pizza delivery is NOT the greatest job in the world but I can live humbly and maybe buy a house someday soon if things work the right way and I can get a few breaks.
          One of my colleagues talked about how she knows multiple people with masters degrees who now work as baristas or other "low-skilled" jobs just because they like it more. They decided that's where they're happier for whatever reasons. No one should have a right to knock their decision if that's what they wanna do.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

"I think you mean if I grow up."
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
            X