Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screaming at the ER staff tending to you dog?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screaming at the ER staff tending to you dog?

Lady. I get it. You are freaked out because a dog attacked your dog. From what I saw, the only wound your dog had was a cut on the ear. Yes, there is a lot of blood, it is scary to see that much blood coming from a beloved pet, but screaming at ME when I'm just trying to explain to you what needs to happen is only going to piss me AND the current ER doctor off. You didn't let me get a word in edge-wise and your voice could be heard three counties over I'm sure.

Storming into the ICU, where you've already been told you are not allowed, is only going to do the same thing. Then calling your husband and screaming so that everyone in the ER could hear that we "threw you out" of the back and that the "doctor was very rude" is going to piss off the entire ER staff.

Your dog is fine. Screaming at me because YOU misheard the tech's instructions to try and get in touch with the attacker's owner so you can find out rabies information just makes ME frustrated and so I will offer only the minor levels of empathy and sympathy for your emotional state. All of that is now squarely on the dog because of having to live with you.

Oh, and the reason you saw a tech holding onto your dog's muzzle while the doctor was looking him over is because no matter how sweet a dog is normally, if they are in pain or shock from an attack they are an unpredictable animal and could attack in self-defense. If you don't "feel comfortable having your dog here" or "don't trust the ER staff with your dog" you were more than welcome to take him to another ER.

Which the ER doctor told you square to your face, which, by the way, I noticed took a shit ton of wind out of your bravado, didn't it?

Side note;

ER Doctor - You are awesome. You overheard me telling the techs that the lady was in a screaming fit;

Tech: Looks like <Dog's> mom is getting angry.
    Dr: So am I, that's good, we make a great match.
    Then you asked; "Wait, she screamed at you?"
    When I answered yes, the annoyance that appeared on your face told me you would not let that crap stand.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Screaming at the ER staff is only going to make them get on the defensive. I say calm the fuck down, get out of the way & let them do their thing!

Comment

We took one of our cats to the ER at the local Vet school a couple of months back (acute bladder infection) because none of the other local animal hospitals could do an ultrasound on a Saturday. They were beyond wonderful there; not a single disgruntled or unhappy staff member to be found. If you get mad at those folks, the problem is invariably you, not them.

(Though, to be fair, just like any vet (or people-doctor) you still need to be on your toes to hold off unnecessary treatment or tests. I think our bill would have been about double what it was if we had done everything the vet suggested.)

Comment

Honestly the doctor was only very strict with her after she barged into the ICU after it had been explained to her that only employee are allowed back there. We had several animals that were all in-patients and her storming in there and unleashing her tirade again got most of them (except the one that was still completely loopy from anesthesia) upset.

It also stopped us for the time she argued from doing our job. If her dog had been in serious condition, she probably would've made it worse delaying us (twice.)
        My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Oh, and the reason you saw a tech holding onto your dog's muzzle while the doctor was looking him over is because no matter how sweet a dog is normally, if they are in pain or shock from an attack they are an unpredictable animal and could attack in self-defense. If you don't "feel comfortable having your dog here" or "don't trust the ER staff with your dog" you were more than welcome to take him to another ER.
          Oh for goodness' sake, sometimes my pooch gets snappy when you trim his nails. Of course you need to hold the dog for procedures when he's hurt! Even if you're not touching the ear, he could have some past trauma that the vet doesn't know about yet. Like ours had a paw injury sometime in his past, which is why he can be touchy about the nail trims and having his feet handled.

They hold people down in the ER too, come to think of it.

Comment

There is a second reason to ban the woman from the ICU... not only the other animals, but her own dog would feed off her energy. My parents have some very, very protective dogs.. if something upset my Dad that badly that he freaked out, the dogs would be looking for something to kill. Fortunately, my dad doesn't freak out. This is also another very good reason to muzzle clamp a dog.

Her screaming and fit throwing just stresses her own pet out more. With pets, you gotta act as calm as you can and when the pet is in the proper hands, excuse yourself and THEN have the breakdown. (Can't tell I've had animals all my life, can you?)
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

When our extremely docile, friendly dog was hit by a car and broke her pelvis, the FIRST we did before trying to get her on a board to transport her to the vet was to get a cord and tie her snout shut (we didn't have a muzzle) because we knew she might snap at us when we touched her in her panicked, pained state. The vet muzzled her before starting the exam.

Sounds to me like the ER woman needed a muzzle more than her dog.
              "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
              .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Working...
              X