Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've also resorted to charging family members for tutoring. Somebody calls me asking for help with their math class? My rates are $75/hour. Of course now it's not so much an issue, as I'm no longer speaking to my family.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Yeah, at present I'm living at home with my parents (although that will probably change this fall, after Mom's recovered from her upcoming knee replacement surgery) and I don't charge them for tech support that I do, which is fortunately not much since Mom's gotten a little more tech savvy.

Although Mom & Dad charge me rent, I take the occasional bit of tech support and other around-the-house chores as part of the 'payment' I make, since the rent is quite cheap, comparatively.

Once I move out, I'll have to explain that any tech support calls won't be free anymore.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Heh. That wouldn't work with Toth, especially if his cardiac specialty has anything to do with neurocardiogenic syncope.
        See, I have no idea what that is. All I understand is that der Mann and his labmates are doing experiments to determine how the heart works on a molecular level in order to help people with genetic heart disease. It has something to do with calcium channels and involves lots of surgery on very small creatures. It's very basic research, just 'What is happening on the smallest levels when your heart is failing?'

Side note: he is going to be a big conference and has been asked to do not one but TWO presentations. This is really important. Very proud.
        Last edited by AnaKhouri; 05-13-2014, 06:17 PM.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
          I STILL get asked questions about games all the time.
          I don't mind talking games with civilians (ex-GS'er here), tho I usually defer if it's a genre I have zero knowledge about (e.g. FPS's or sports games)

Quoth Zellie Crescent View Post
          ...I'll get people asking me what's on sale next week when I'm at Michael's, Barnes & Noble, or McDonalds.
          Just tell them "random junk," "books," "and questionable comestibles," respectively ^_^

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
          Everyone else is pay to play. I don't charge much, but I do charge.
          Same here. For small jobs that take me 15 minutes, I'll work for a po-boy and some caffeine plus "whatever [cash] you think is reasonable." If it takes much longer than expected, is more complex than described, requires me taking their box home, or it's someone I don't know from Croesus, yeah, I set an hourly rate along with a a provision for a minimum 'diagnosis fee' of $25 or so if it's something I can't handle.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My equivalent of this used to be people asking me questions about library fines or renewing their cards, and I'd have to explain that they would need to go to the library and talk to someone at the circulation desk.

Comment

I do freelance editing from time to time. I've had a few who expect me to put the "free" in "freelance."

The one who really took the cake proposed I ghostwrite his autobiography. I told him I was very busy but I'd be glad to give him some referrals to people who actually do this for a living, he looked surprised and informed me that he expected me to work for "a share of the profits." (I had known this person pretty much all my life. Believe me when I say to you: There would be no profits.) He was completely incredulous that I turned him down and kept trying to talk me 'round.

And where was I when he was applying this high-pressure sales job? Oh yeah. At my Dad's funeral and the following reception. Jerk.

Comment

Never, ever, *ever*, EVER, tell someone you work in debt collection. Especially for a power company.

First thing i did when getting off work was take off all my ID. I forgot once and got accosted by someone in the supermarket because they felt their bill was wrong.

*sigh*

Comment

As an event photographer.... Any family event or birthday... Yep

Comment

My husband is a mechanic at a well known car dealership in town. He gets asked car question all the time.

"My car makes a sound...thunka, thunka, pop. What's wrong with it?"

Then get all butt hurt he can't tell them without looking at the car. He used to do side work for family until every freaking spare minute was spent working on cars at home. And several thought because he worked for Big Dealership not only was labor free so were the parts needed to fix the car.

So now my mom, his parents, his uncle and my kids are free labor but we all still pay for parts cause, ya know, they ain't free. Everybody else gets told to take it to the dealership and if they really want him to be the one to work on their car to request the work order be sent to him.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                      All I understand is that der Mann and his labmates are doing experiments to determine how the heart works on a molecular level in order to help people with genetic heart disease. It has something to do with calcium channels and involves lots of surgery on very small creatures. It's very basic research, just 'What is happening on the smallest levels when your heart is failing?'
                      Toth would be fascinated.

As for neurocardiogenic syncope: Toth has it. It's a problem with the heart's primary natural pacemaker, and the negative feedback loop between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems controlling the natural pacemaker.
                      ... and if you want to know more, I'm sure der Mann can tell you. (My own knowledge stalls out approximately there.)
                      Toth has made a point of studying it, and is almost as knowledgeable about this very narrow part of cardiology as cardiologists are. (But professional cardiologists know about a lot more parts of it: Toth's just got the narrow bit of knowledge.)

Side note: he is going to be a big conference and has been asked to do not one but TWO presentations. This is really important. Very proud.
                      WOW! Mega congrats.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I get this all the time. Pretty much everyone in town knows me as the "computer guy". I swear at least twice a week I'll be having a meal, having a latte, etc. and someone comes up to me with a computer question. "My internet stopped working blah blah blah" to which I usually tell them they need to bring their computer in to the shop.

Even worse is when someone asks about phone stuff - because aside from helping people to copy stuff from their computer to their phone or vice versa, we don't handle phones at all.

"My phone doesn't ring when I get a call."
                        "...and you haven't gone to the Verizon store to have them look at it because...?"

Comment

My mind is pudding (and not a tasty kind), I don't have a profession, I've never really had a profession (though I've had jobs.. mostly physical labor stuff).. and I get this constantly. Which confuses the heck out of me. I get asked to explain laws (never studied law.. I worked as a security guard.. close enough.. I guess???),.. I get asked tech questions (I've taken a handful of computer classes .... IN 1992!!!!. and a handful in 2010)). To look at computers, repair them, etc. I am asked to explain government letters, legal letters, etc. By not only my family, but people that just happen to KNOW my family. Can somebody PLEASE explain this? Please? Anybody? Beuller? Beuller??
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                            Can somebody PLEASE explain this? Please? Anybody? Beuller? Beuller??
                            I guess you just come across as competent.

Comment

Quoth Zellie Crescent View Post
                              I don't want anyone to recognize me outside of work, but I know it won't last forever and I'll get people asking me what's on sale next week when I'm at Michael's, Barnes & Noble, or McDonalds.
                              Simple answer: Manager gets the package from corporate, with instructions to not let the peons know until they set up the sale tags the night before the sale starts. It seems that the beancounters saw a decline in sales of items that were going to go on sale the next week, most likely due to the public asking peons what would be on sale the next week and waiting for the sale to purchase said items.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X