Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our store has gone kiss-ass customer-happy to the point where telling a customer we are closed is a big no-no. Yep, believe it or not !

The store as a whole makes the standard closing announcements, but employees aren't allowed to rush people the fuck OUT as they should be able to. And individual departments like the deli and bakery ?

Forget it. We aren't allowed to even HINT that we're closed. As far as corporate is concerned if we are still back there, doesn't matter if we're mopping up or walking out with our coats in hand, if an SC wants help we HAVE to help them.

If people were decent, of course, the above policy wouldn't be a bother, but you guys know how people are, it should be obvious you're preparing to walk out the doors and go home to your LIFE, but they don't care. With these people I always have to bite my tongue to keep from asking them how they would like it if I went to their jobs just as they were leaving and kept THEM from getting home to THEIR families on time.
    Last edited by KayEm; 07-20-2006, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I've had the same experiance, with customers trying to get in at least an hour before the store opens, or a half hour before the store closes.

It's more of a problem in the morning because we can't lock the doors. People just force the automatic doors open when they don't open by themselves. The store itself opens at 9 am but the manager and a few of the animal care employees ( I work in a pet store) arrive at 8 am. That means no cashiers and the registers haven't been turned on yet.

One time, when I was one of the animal care staff on morning shift, we had a guy walk in to buy cat food without us even noticing him. We didn't even know he was there until we heard him shouting from the register area, asking to be rung up.

The manager, myself, and the guy in fish had to play Rock-Paper-Scissors to decide who who was going to tell the guy we weren't open yet and he had to leave. I'm never using paper again.

Me: Excuse me sir, we're not open yet, you have to go outside and wait until 9:00.

SC: But you're open now, why should I wait?

Me: We're not open, we open at 9:00. Myself and the two other people here are only here to set everything up and take care of the animals,fish,reptiles, and birds.

SC: Well, I'm not waiting that long. Can't you ring me up?

Me: I'm not a cashier, they don't arrive until 9:00 and the registers won't be turned on until the store opens ... at 9:00

SC: I'm a customer and the customer is always right. So when I tell you to ring me up, you'd better ring me up, or I'll report you to your company.

Me: And you'd better leave before I call the police and have you arrested for tresspassing. I can do that, because you are on private property and been told to leave.

SC: No you can't!

Me: *picks up phone* Wanna try me?

Sc: Fine, I'll just go to the other pet store down the street, and I'll never shop here again. *he doesn't move, just stares at me*

Me: There's the door, don't let it hit ya where the good Lord split ya. And if you're going to the other store, be prepared for a longer wait, they don't open until 11:00.

He left, but came back later to get his cat food.

Comment

People honestly don't care if you're closed. In fact, if you are finishing up helping someone (for say 30-45 minutes AFTER you've closed) people will still come.

People will wait even though I tell them I closed EARLIER and I am finishing up with this customer.

Sucky customers...suck.

Comment

Unfortunately, there seems to be some variability in what closing time means for restaurants, so until I know the rhythm of a place I try to be sure to arrive early enough for any contingency (though once I establish how late I dare come others usually arrive later and are fully served).

One time a somewhat familiar server at a familiar restaruant interpreted closing time to mean exiting time, not last call. When I was having trouble getting some kind of follow-up service or getting some hint about leaving (I wasn't planning on staying much longer anyway), I commented that I'd been able to stay somewhat longer before, to which the waiter unapologetically said when he was closing he was going to rush me out. I understand people want to leave and shouldn't be taken advantage of, but customers deserve consistent treatment if not posted rules. I'd already left a tip by credit card, and for some reason didn't feel like asking him or the manager to redo the transaction (as the rest of the service was satisfactory) but merely told the manager on the way out of the waiter's rudeness, to which he had nothing to say.

As I was losing interest in this place's food by this time in my life anyway, I didn't return for a few years--but I remembered the incident and wondered if this low-turnover establishment would still have that waiter. Wouldn't you know, it was he who waited on me after all this time, everything just fine, and come credit card time I worte an apologetic but firm essay in all the white space explaining the last tip was for this visit as it wasn't warranted for the last one (apologetic in that I ended with "maybe next time," though I haven't been back).
          I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

At least we get a big roll up door that we get to slam down when we close, however it doesn't seem to make any difference, I just don't see how you could possibly pull into our lot (it empties really fast when we close), and see both roll up doors closed and still think we are open??

Comment

Quoth Bugg
              I just don't see how you could possibly pull into our lot (it empties really fast when we close), and see both roll up doors closed and still think we are open??
              Simple: they don't care. They are Sucky Customers. You are there to serve them, the end.

Comment

At ou rstore, they don't even make the 'store is closing' announcement like they used to. they don't want customers to feel 'rushed'. But, at ten after closing, they turn off most of the lights.
                Stupid.
                I think they said that it saves them money on their electric, but I just think of customers tripping in the dimmed lights, and suing the store, or the company...and wonder if that savings really mattered.
                We sales people DO tell customers in our areas that the store is closed tho, and that the lights will be going out soon.
                I no longer fear HELL.
                I work in RETAIL.

Comment

I also work at a crafts store, and what amazes me most is how badly these people need to get craft supplies 9:00 PM. What possible craft supply do you need that late? Hey everybody let's go for a late night craft run! Gotta keep those beads coming!

Comment

I get this all the time.

I work in a large multiplex cinema. Just becuase our front doors are un-locked doesn't mean we are open.

Lets say our last film of the night starts at 9:30pm.

We will then close our ticket office and popcorn counter just after that at about
                    9:45. But the front doors remain unlocked untill midnight so that all the customers still in the building are not locked in once their films are finished.

Yet you will get SC's walking through the doors at 11 o clock, wantiing to buy tickets for mythical late night shows or buy popcorn and drinks "just to take home"

Comment

Working...
                    X