Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go me! I'm smartl! the disappearing IE.

As commonly happens, I was sitting at my desk listening to the AAFH and the bossman try to fix a problem.

The IE icon had disappeared from a student's computer, and they didn't know how to bring it back. So, about the time they're trying to track down an IE installer, I walk over.

Me: "Click Start."
    Bossman: "It's not there, we already checked."
    Me: "Click Start."
    AAFH actually did it. I was surprised.. it was one of the few times she's actually listened to me.
    Me: "Click on My Computer. Click on the address bar..."
    Bossman: "What are you doing?"
    Me: "Now type in the address."
    Bossman: "I knew it. Didn't work."
    I stared at the IE window that was up.
    Me: "Bossman, you're nuts."
    AAFH started getting into windows updates.
    Me: "Go me!"
    Bossman: "Finally you know how to do something."
    Me: "Jelous!"

I mean, DUH! If you can get to windows explorer from Internet explorer, you can get to internet explorer from windows explorer. I thought this was a common thing, am I wrong?

Oh, as to the why. Her IE icon disappeared. I just realized I didn't check if iexplore.exe worked... Firefox was set as her default browser, which didn't help to get Windows updates, and it wasn't listed in the program list, and the Internet Explorer window didn't have the iexplore.exe file. I blame malware.

It was a pretty old machine. Dead battery and all.

Jenni

Jenni
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

I just love it when things disappear from customers computers. Makes it so much more challenging to have to walk them through how to get that icon back on their desktop.

/end sarcasm
    "The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts." - Steven Wright

Comment

Well, like I said, I think it was spyware related. She had enough on her machine. Iexplore.exe was missing from the IE folder in Program Files. She was supposed to come back this morning, but I guess decided against it.

Jenni
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Yea, it wasn't until I was about 13 that I found out about that neat little trick. It was just as I began discovering the world of programming. Maybe she deleted the icon by mistake.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

That neat trick didnt exist until Windows 98. I remember it being in either its readme.txt or the Getting Started with Windows 98 guide. [Yes, I RTFM...]

Perhaps there should be a class in business administration called "STFU AND RTFM!" but hey, dare to dream.

Comment

Lol it's not just computers people need to RTFM for. We have these scientific calculators we HAVE to use at school and I think I'm the only one who actually bothered with the manual. I can get it to do all sorts of neat things that save lots of time on making sure my circuit analysis is at least in the right ballpark. My other friends are like "WTF, how did you do that" *pulls out manual and taps it*
            "They have the internet on computers now?"
            ~Homer Simpson

Another day at work, another broken desk

Comment

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com
              >++++++++[<+++++++++>-]<+.>>>++++[<++++++++>-]<.<++++++[<++++++>-]<+.>+++[<--->-]<..-.>>.<<---.>>.<+++[<+++>-]<++.---.---.-.>+++++[<----------->-]<.

Comment

Working...
              X