Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tales from a Discount Store (kids and parent edition) (swearing, long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from a Discount Store (kids and parent edition) (swearing, long)

Because this is my third (fourth?) thread, I apologise in advance if you see a repeat suck. Since I'm doing it in themes, there are some sucks that could be two themes (ie, a suck about bags AND bad parenting). If I know I've posted it before then I won't post it again, but some might slip through.

Anyway, as you know by know, I used to work in a discount store called Poundland. While there, I got treated badly by parents, got annoyed by stupid teenagers, etc etc. So, onto the sucks!

1)

Me and my colleagues could have screamed at these girls that kept running into the shop, around the aisles, making as much mess and noise as possible, and then running off. They were about 13-14. When they left the first time we could hear them shouting and screaming all the way up the street. We thought that was the end of it. Nope. They came running back in and did the same. They left. Came back. This time, after their little stint around the shop, they bought things. They were rude to me, and disrespectful (nothing personal, just lacked pleases and thank-you’s and barked at me), and STILL yelling and screaming about nothing in particular. They bought chocolate and a six-pack of water. They started squabbling with each other, each one trying to grab a bottle of water. They then left the empty packet that the bottles came in on the floor, as well as their receipts (they bought things separately, so there was about 4 receipts) and then ran off, screaming and running around in the street. About three minutes later they came in again and ran around screaming and yelling. This time, the supervisor on the shop floor told them to quieten down and stop running about. They left. But came back AGAIN. And just blatantly ignored what my supervisor had told them. Hence about five minutes more of them running about and causing trouble. The other customers looked quite distressed so my supervisor told them enough was enough and to get out and not come back. They never came back after that!

2)

A woman and her friend came to my till. One of the women had a little girl with her, and she gave the girl a £1 coin so that she could pay for this book she'd got. Then she and her friend left the tills and went up another aisle so that the girl (who was about 5) was on her own. She dropped the coin before she had even started to hand it to me.

I started looking for it, but the two women came back and the little girl told her what had happened. The woman just looked at me and then said, "So that's £1 down the drain!"

I continued to search for this coin, but it was nowhere to be seen. I looked around the till area, on the floor around the till, I got on my hands and knees. I told her that I couldn't find it.

"Well it can't just disappear into thin air! This is ridiculous! You should be more careful! This is a complete waste of my money! Now what am I going to do?"

"I'm so sorry, I don't know," I said.

"You should pay for it out of your own pocket really then. You were the one who dropped it, you should pay for it."

"I’m not allowed to do that,” I said. Inside I was seething. I wanted to grab her by the head and tell her that she can quit blaming me for something I haven’t done, that it was her daughter who had dropped the bloody coin and not me, but I think it would have made things worse.

After a lot of hemming and hawing from the lady, she reluctantly paid for the book with another coin, and rejected my apologies with a stern-sounding "I don't want to know" and "Whatever."

I was still trying to help at this point so I said to her, “I’ll be sweeping tonight so if I come across the coin I’ll put it to one side so that you can pick it up tomorrow.”

“That’s no good! I’m not here tomorrow!”

“When you’re next in then, maybe?”

“Oh, just forget it!”

As she was leaving the shop I saw her bend down and pick something up. The coin had rolled all the way around the till area and was near to the exit of the store. She picked it up, yelled “Found it!” and they all went on their merry way.

An apology would have been nice, but oh well!

3)

A lady came into the shop with two screaming kids. I could hear them before they came into the shop, and they were screaming the entire way around the store. The mother eventually came to the tills where there was a queue. But it was only a small queue. I was serving one customer, there was another customer behind him that only had one item, and then there was her. I got the queue down in about 30 seconds.

In that time, she demanded I get another cashier on the tills, to which I explained that we were short staffed and that I couldn’t get another cashier on here at this time. She huffed and puffed, until she came to my till. Then she started.

“It’s pathetic that there’s only you on the tills!”

“I’m sorry,” I said, but “like I said we’re short staffed…”

“You made my children cry! Just look at them! This is all YOUR fault! You made us wait too long.”

I… uh… whut? They were screaming and crying before she even came into the shop lol. But nope, it’s my fault for making them all wait 30 seconds to get served.

Another woman heard it all and was livid. She didn’t say anything to the woman, but as the woman and her children left she started bitching her out. She couldn’t understand where the woman was coming from, since she saw the children crying all around the shop. Not that I condone it, but the woman also said, "I'll give her kids something to fucking cry about, the little shits!"

4)

A woman and her mum were being served at the till next to mine. Her mum was actually at the till, but she was standing behind her mum blocking off the lane with a massive buggy. There was space next to her mum so she could get the buggy in there and not block off the lane. An elderly woman, who was waiting in the queue and waiting to get to my till, had said excuse me to her about three times, but each time she snapped back with "Just wait!" and "I'm NOT moving!" Eventually I intervened and said, "Excuse me, but could you just move your buggy so that the lady can get past, please?"

She glared at me, but then she moved the buggy, very dramatically to the end of the lane, past my till even, with a face like pure thunder.

"Thank you, that's very appreciated," I said to her, but she rolled her eyes at me and then folded her arms across her chest. When her mum had finished, she barged into the old lady who was still being served at my till. The old lady was quite distressed and couldn't work out what she'd done wrong. To add insult to injury, the woman and her mum were ranting on the way out of the store about how rude people were, and how dare they be treated the way they were. I don't get it. It was obvious who the rude ones were... it was them!

5)

A boy aged 11-12 swaggered up to my till with his hands in his pockets. The following conversation occured:

Legend: Swagger = boy, me = me

Me: Hi, can I help?
    Swagger: Where's ya monster?
    Me: Pardon?
    Swagger: The energy drink DUH!
    Me: It's just down there *points to where it's at* but there's an age restriction of 16 on it.
    Swagger: But I AM 16 for fucks sake! Are you blind? *he turns to one of his friends who has just sauntered up to the register like he's a gangster* Can you fucking believe this? She doesn't believe I'm 16!

Swagger's friend suddenly laughed really loud and said "Dude, you're in like, Year 7!" They both found this hilarious for a bit but then they started being abusive to me and telling me I'm stupid and whay is there a limit and it's ridiculous etc etc. I told them I don't make the rules. They went away and came back with a pack of sweets a couple of minutes later.

Me: Do you need a bag?
    Swagger: Yep no yep no yep no yep no! *snorts*
    Me: Sorry?
    Swagger: Yeah, give me a bag! Duh!
    Me: A little respect, please, or I will refuse to serve you.
    Swagger: A little respect, please, or I'll refuse to serve you! *said in a very mocking tone*
    Me: I mean it.

He was silent after this and I scanned him through but his friend was at the end of the counter laughing. After I had finished the transaction they both left, but that they were mocking me and insulting me all the way to the front doors.

Do the parents not teach them ANY manners at all? I never treated anyone like the way they treated me when I was a kid. Rudeness like this from kids just makes me sick.

6)

I saw a young girl of around three wandering aimlessly round the shop shouting for her mummy. I had no customers so I jumped off the till and assisted the young girl in finding her mum. We got round the corner and she was there. I went back to my till. About twenty seconds later an angry woman barged up to me and said "Excuse me but I DO know how to look after my child. It wasn't your place to interfere!" and stormed off back to the aisle to shop some more. Luckily, after she did her shopping she refused to be served by me and went to another cashier. Good thing, really, because I didn't want to serve her anyway!

You try to help, and that's the thanks you get...

7)

A huge group of people came in to the shop today, all of them eating McDonalds. As far as I could tell, there were four women, three men, three baby strollers and about five children running around with milkshakes and fries in their hands. As I was stocking a shelf, I saw one of the women just dump her empty container on to the floor. I picked it up and said, "Excuse me, have you dropped this?" to which she replied, quite rudely "Well it's NOT mine!"

I'm in no mood to argue with her so I just dump the empty McDonalds container onto my trolley to put in the bin later. Usually, we tell people not to eat in the shop but I seriously didn't want any confrontation and clearly, I'd have gotten a mouthful of abuse anyway. And there was a LOT of them. So instead, I just idly followed them into the next aisle making sure they didn't drop any of the food.

When all of a sudden, one of the kids just tipped his milkshake upside down and emptied the whole lot on to the floor, right in front of me. The adults, rather than telling the child off, condoned him by laughing and cooing at him, thinking it was adorable. NO. It is NOT adorable. Then, all the kids started walking through it and skidding along the floor because it was slippy and the adults just stood there. LAUGHING.

I got some paper towels and a mop and cleaned it up, but the stench of stale milkshake was very overpowering and that whole aisle just ended up stinking for the rest of the day. And the whole group of them was staring at me like they'd never seen anyone cleaning a floor before.

Quoth Evannah View Post
    When all of a sudden, one of the kids just tipped his milkshake upside down and emptied the whole lot on to the floor, right in front of me. The adults, rather than telling the child off, condoned him by laughing and cooing at him, thinking it was adorable. NO. It is NOT adorable. Then, all the kids started walking through it and skidding along the floor because it was slippy and the adults just stood there. LAUGHING.
    What the hell?! I wonder how funny they'd find it if the kid dumped out his milkshake all over their living room rug.

Comment

And the whole group of them was staring at me like they'd never seen anyone cleaning a floor before.
      Perhaps they haven't. Can you imagine how disgusting their own homes must be?!
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Or on them. They better pray no one with my sensibilities ever catch them acting like that. *glower*
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

mj - They probably would have made the kid clean it up...
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
            What the hell?! I wonder how funny they'd find it if the kid dumped out his milkshake all over their living room rug.
            I'm thinking the adults put the child up to it.

Comment

"Excuse me but I DO know how to look after my child. It wasn't your place to interfere!"
              As an employee of ________, it bloody well IS your place to "interfere." What an entitled hag.

Comment

Chav neighborhood?
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

In regards to the milkshake incident, I would have handed its mother a mop and then kicked them all out of the store. People like that are going to cost you more in damages than you'll ever see from them in custom.
                  "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                  X