Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My car was destroyed and the receipt was inside!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My car was destroyed and the receipt was inside!

So yesterday as I'm trying to unload our weekly truck, I get paged by the cashier. Cashier proceeds to tell me there's a lady here who bought some toilet paper last night but left it behind. Cashier tells me it's not in the log book for leave behinds but since i'm busy with the truck and it's only $3 toilet paper, I agree to let the customer replace it.

Couple minutes later, cashier pages me again. Customer has $12 toilet paper and $20 container of Tide Pods, customer conveniently remembers that she also left those here too. Bells start going off in my head and I tell the cashier, absolutely not, if she has her receipt, we can watch the cameras to verify that she did not get the merchandise.

Customer doesn't like this option and asks to speak with me, she grabs the phone from the cashier and immediately calls me 'sweetie' and 'hun' and starts rattling off this amazing sob story on how her husband is in the military and she has to take care of their 4 kids. And the day before her car was destroyed in a fire and the receipt was inside the car as well as all the other merchandise she purchased. And she's on her lunch break and she's in a hurry to get back to work. Oh and of course she shops here EVERY day.

Oh and the short haired manager she spoke to the day before was so nice and told her to just come in and replace the items. Alarm goes off in my head again because *I* worked with short haired manager that day and I know for a fact that neither one of us took any kind of phone call like that.

So once again I politely tell her that I can't just release $30 worth of merchandise without verifying it on the cameras so then she says she's calling corporate and hangs up on me.

Turns out the same lady has tried running scams like that at out store a few times. Cashier recognized her as the same lady who was in a couple weeks ago with a similar sob story and she left behind expensive shower curtains and baby formula.

Quoth drjonah View Post
    Customer ...starts rattling off this amazing sob story on how her husband is in the military and she has to take care of their 4 kids. And the day before her car was destroyed in a fire and the receipt was inside the car as well as all the other merchandise she purchased.
    [snip]
    Turns out the same lady has tried running scams like that at out store a few times. Cashier recognized her as the same lady who was in a couple weeks ago with a similar sob story and she left behind expensive shower curtains and baby formula.
    Next time you see her, say, "Your car was destroyed AGAIN?! How many cars do you go through in a month?!"

But seriously, I hope the manager knows about this scammer and eventually drops the ban-hammer on her.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
      Next time you see her, say, "Your car was destroyed AGAIN?! How many cars do you go through in a month?!"
      Is her name Stephanie Plum?

"Babe."
      Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
      At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        Next time you see her, say, "Your car was destroyed AGAIN?! How many cars do you go through in a month?!" ...
        She goes through them like toilet paper.
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
          I used to have a car like that. It was a real piece of ... shaving cream.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
            I think she missed the memo that says that's not what you use cars for.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth vikingchyk View Post
              Is her name Stephanie Plum?

"Babe."
              Maybe suggest that she get a Buick Roadmaster in powder blue?
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

So that's how it works!!

Yeah, I left my brand new Toshiba laptop in my car the other day and the car was totalled...Oh, and there was some new jewelry in there, too. And about $5000 worth of new clothes. Yep, all destroyed.

Also, whatever lottery numbers come in Saturday night were on the ticket I left in the car.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  So that's how it works!!

Yeah, I left my brand new Toshiba laptop in my car the other day and the car was totalled...Oh, and there was some new jewelry in there, too. And about $5000 worth of new clothes. Yep, all destroyed.

Also, whatever lottery numbers come in Saturday night were on the ticket I left in the car.
                  I love this!

Comment

Your purchases were destroyed in a car fire? Call your insurance and make a claim.

I hate scammers....
                    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

On the one hand, I wonder why people go to the effort of trying stupid little scams like this...then I remember that a) they're hard to catch in the act at times and b) many places don't pursue them because it's not worth the effort.

If she comes back? Nail her. See if you can get some kind of evidence to give to the cops. What she's doing is fraud, and that becomes a felony at a fairly low dollar amount in many states (just a few hundred bucks in value).
                      Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      It was a real piece of ... shhhhhhhaving cream.
                      Fixed that for ya ^_^
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                      X