This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School holiday ranting

This is a suck-in-advance, but kinda allows me some time to reflect on the past school holidays I've worked at.

Background: I work for an after-school program that runs at multiple schools, so on any given day I can be at 2 different schools. During the school holidays, I will align myself with up to 3 different schools (out of a total of 12) as I've worked with the kids who will be attending those days.

So with that in mind, here's some of the suck.

Clothing:

Parents, if you are going to send your kid to a holiday care program, PLEASE send them in appropriate clothing. We don't have a huge dress code during the holidays, just that shoulders and midriff are covered and that your kid isn't wearing thongs or shoes that are labelled "sandals" but are actually thongs. While we do provide sunscreen, we are a SUN SAFE COMPANY, meaning: SEND YOUR KID TO THE PROGRAM IN AT LEAST A T-SHIRT AND SKIRT/SHORTS!

On the other end of the spectrum, if it's cold or you think it's going to be cold, please send a jacket and/or umbrella with your kid. Especially if they are under 10. God knows the number of kids I've had shivering on excursions....

Electronic Devices:

This one is site-specific and only applies to one of my sites. The rule is that the kids cannot have any electronic devices beyond ones for medical use (ie insulin pumps or glucose meters are OK if they're diabetic). This extends to phones.
    Therefore parents, if you are going to send your kid to the program, PLEASE check their bag for any iPods, iPhones, iPads, tablets, smartphones etc. We WILL confiscate them until the end of the day.
    We aren't completely heartless though: if your kid needs an electronic device for obvious communication purposes, we'll allow it under the condition that said device is only used for that.

Special needs children:

OK, long background time: when we have a kid with moderate-severe special needs** at the service, we also have an "aide" there with them. The aide is there to support the kid as much as they can, try and include him/her in activities and just be their source of "calm" if need be. The aide is NOT there to shadow the kid, particularly if they're older.
    Aides at the sites are funded outside of the regular staffing ratio*-that is, they are there from the moment the kid arrives to the moment the kid is picked up. So if that kid is the last kid at the service, he gets TWO staff members to play with! (the aide and the site leader)

One of my coworkers and a parent however, misinterpreted my "special needs" background to mean "I will know exactly what needs this kid has and what to do" and basically dumped a kid with somewhat moderate special needs on me...when I was an assistant, NOT an aide. It was worse on excursions.

This kid was the brother of one of our regulars, so we knew the mother. But oh dear sweet frakking deity, over the four weeks we had him there, I was nearly ready to tell BossMan that I wouldn't be coming back! The kid attended a special class at another school and he was dumped on us with zero warning***. The kid:

-Had no idea of "full". He'd have HUGE helpings of breakfast and still complain that he was hungry. (this was later found out to be due to the medication he was on, he was a skinny little thing to boot)
    -Was a frequent absconder. While on-site he kept himself to the gardens mostly, on excursions it was worse. He'd frequently stray away from his group leader (and we'd ask him who he wanted as a group leader first so the staff member who had him was aware of it) and in one case, decided to bolt down two flights of stairs and was nearly out the door. Guess who got stuck chasing him? (and he wasn't in my group)
    -Picked fights with his brother and on a few occasions, with other children. The fights against his brother were NOT justified, while the incidents with the other children were usually the result of bullying [he was the victim]. It got to the point where he bit another child on the butt (not enough to draw blood) and the throwing of lego at his brother was a daily occurrence. His mothers reaction? "Oh, they're like that at home." In the case of the biting of the kid on the butt, I spoke to both kids and informed the bossman. Neither kid got into a heap of trouble as it was a case of being provoked, but it did highlight the fact that we were ill-equipped to handle his needs and we needed someone for HIM specifically.
    -The scary thing though, was his slightly destructive tendency. He'd rip/break anything he could get his hands on and it was merely a game to him. He'd be SMILING while he did it. Oh and he was capable of playing normally too.

Thankfully the mother is NOT enrolling him in the upcoming school holiday program, but seriously...

Finally: lunches

I am waiting for the day a kid gets burned and a parent blames us. We do try and supervise this as best as we can, but we do allow the kids to bring along 2 minute noodles and toast their sandwiches. In the case of the noodles, I will try and avoid it boiling over.
    Having said that though, parents, when we go on excursions, we may not get back in time to make lunches. So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send along something that can be eaten at the excursion site!!!

**-To give you an idea of who needs an "aide", we have four kids [that are confirmed] at my main site who do not need an aide. One has ADHD and anger issues, one has ADHD period, one is autistic (albeit minor) and the other is Aspergers (confirmed prior to the DSM-V). We also have one kid with sensory processing disorder. None of these kids need an aide.
    We have two kids at DistantSite with various issues, one has behavioural issues, the other is high-functioning autistic. These two kids have an aide [which is me one day a week]. We have 3 kids at one of my other sites who have INCREDIBLY complex special needs and we have one aide between the three of them. One has Downs, the other two are non-verbal and autistic.

*-regular staffing ratio is 1 adult per 15 children, except if it's just the coordinator there, it's 1 adult to 10 children. Excursions that number is 1 adult per 8 children and we divide the kids up accordingly so they each have a staff member to "report" to.

***-To put this into perspective, we have a kid at my Main Site's "sister" site (that is, we share everything-staff, advice etc.) who went through trauma and is very anger-prone. We also suspect that he's possibly autistic. When he first came to the school holiday program, we were given at LEAST 4 weeks warning by the manager of the main site and from the manager of sister site. The issues we had with him were minor compared to this kid and the major tantrums/meltdowns were at pickup time.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Quoth fireheart View Post
    We don't have a huge dress code during the holidays, just that shoulders and midriff are covered and that your kid isn't wearing thongs or shoes that are labelled "sandals" but are actually thongs.
    For people in North America, please read "flip-flops" where OP says "thongs".

Any chance of getting the dress code included in something the parents have to sign-off on to get the kid into the holiday program? As for shoes, would it be simpler to specify "closed-toe shoes"?
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

While we do provide sunscreen, we are a SUN SAFE COMPANY, meaning: SEND YOUR KID TO THE PROGRAM IN AT LEAST A T-SHIRT AND SKIRT/SHORTS!
      So what do they send them in, their undies?
      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
        So what do they send them in, their undies?
        Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case . . . especially after how I see some of the parents around here dressing their children when they come into the grocery store.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Singlet, singlet/crop top, racer-back top, would be some of my guesses. All of which would allow INCREDIBLE sunburn, and VERY quickly.

Southern Australia is sometimes directly under the ozone layer hole; and is always under the thinned part of the ozone layer. Add that at least half these children are likely to be whiter-than-Wonder-bread. Sunburn and skin cancer are serious concerns in Aussieland.

I have seen people (thankfully adults) with their skin sunburned not just to blistering point, but to 'are you sure that isn't a second degree burn?' level. I never want to see a child that sunburned.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Apparently in Oz, a tank top is called a singlet.

Comment

Re: clothing, due the cold weather and wind chills we've been having, the weather service people have been telling parents to be sure their kids are dressed appropriately. I think it's pathetic that anybody had to be REMINDED of this when the temp is single digits and the wind chill is -20 to -30.

Of course, I also saw a guy in shorts a few days ago (temp was hovering around 15 degrees I think).
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I thought a tank top was a turret.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                  Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case . . . especially after how I see some of the parents around here dressing their children when they come into the grocery store.
                  We get several kids who rock up to the service in short-shorts, micro-minis and a singlet or similar. The boys are less of a hassle, they'll wear a singlet, but their shorts are long enough.
                  As far as the girls are concerned, if were doing excursions, at my main site, well make them wear one of the school polo shirts

I've heard both terms. Singlet is more commonly used to refer to the undergarment, while tank top is the "top one".

Comment

I've heard both terms. Singlet is more commonly used to refer to the undergarment, while tank top is the "top one".
                    Unless you were raised in the tropics/subtropics in the seventies. Then 'singlet' was for either, and 'tank top' was a nonexistent term.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Well I also have a new one to add to the list (from a Catholic school): girls who wear ballet flats. During the school term.

One of them wound up kicking her shoe up onto the ROOF.

Comment

Better than into a passing truck.

Comment

Better than into a passing truck.

This one was particularly worthy as the girl was in Grade 1...and she'd had sport today. (When the kids have a sport lesson, they're allowed to come to school wearing their sports uniform, otherwise it's their summer/winter uniform)

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                            Singlet, singlet/crop top, racer-back top, would be some of my guesses. All of which would allow INCREDIBLE sunburn, and VERY quickly.
                            The sleeveless t-shirt is also called a wife beater in some areas.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I've always called that an A-shirt. Presumably short for Athletic, although I wear them (as undershirts), and if there is one word to describe me personally, "athletlc" is 180° out.

Comment

Working...
                              X