This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on my kitty

I took my kitty to the vet because she'd been hiding under the bed and rarely coming out. Finally, one day, I found her in the nightstand. She was eating and drinking, but miserable and avoiding the light. She's had a cough ever since I had her, and her breathing was very audible.

The vet took a blood sample, and found that her liver and kidneys were fine. Her heart sounds fine, she said. She gave me antibiotics so that we could see how they worked.

Within a few days, Kitty was coming out from under the bed, spending time with me, hanging out in sunny places, and jumping in the window (something she hadn't done in some time).

I took her for a checkup today. The vet gave me three weeks' worth of antibiotics, and the dose finished last week. The vet has suggested, and still suggests, a bronchoscopy and bronchial lavage. And, no, it's not cheap; I've started a GoFundMe for it. The good news is, though her breathing is still loud, she's gained weight and takes interest in her surroundings. When we were getting her checked out, she turned to the vet and started rubbing against her hand. I got the vet's assistant to come and pet her too, because she loves people and wants attention all the time.

She'll need to have her teeth cleaned in addition to the aforementioned procedures, so the vet will do it all at once.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Sending love and snuggles for your kitty, Eireann. Hope your furbaby is soon feeling better
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

My ol' mackerel kitty (who has long since passed) had to have antibiotics once because of an infection she got in a fight (right where her tail meets her back, too!). the difference was like night and day If they're called for, do it and keep up with the full course, they seem to do the job! ^__^
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

One of our past kitties had a respiratory problem since he was a baby. The last couple of years of his life, he had to go on an antibiotic "cocktail" (2 drugs together) every so many months when his problem flared up.

Good luck to your kitty, Eireann!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

How's the kitty doing?

We had one cat who had been neutered but apparently never got the memo; he was an indoor/outdoor cat who was constantly getting into fights ... getting injuries which then turned into abscesses ... and was constantly being hauled off to the vet for antibiotics and the insertion of drains.

My mother, who was a dog person to begin with, was contemplating turning him into a pair of fuzzy slippers. I offered to take him off her hands. Knocked him out with vet-prescribed tranquilizers and drove five hours back to where I lived at the time. When he came to, he was in a totally alien place so all his normal reactions went out the window. He adapted beautifully to being indoor-only and the days of "NOT AGAIN, YOU MORON!!" and a mad dash to the vet were long gone.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Kitty is, as I type this, in the window soaking up the rays. I don't know how she can stand it, in this heat.

A little background information. She's had a cough ever since I got her. She used to stretch her neck out, crouch, and cough over and over. She doesn't do that now, but she still coughs; just one or two at a time. She also breathes rather loudly much of the time.

I've made an appointment with the vet for the procedure, and ooooh boy, the cost. I don't like having to take her in for it; apart from the cost, she'll be under general anesthetic. I get nervous about that. I'm taking the day off so I can be there as soon as possible after the procedure.

Since she did respond well to the antibiotics, I'm hoping that it's something that can be knocked out with that kind of medication. I'd rather not have to put her on asthma meds. My GoFundMe campaign took in a bit - not enough to cover the full costs, but some. I had to shut it down since this country isn't supported (I only discovered this after I launched the campaign; GoFundMe bought a European crowdfunding site, so I thought it covered all of Europe.)

One of my donors sent the money to me directly through PayPal. The other will as soon as the donation to GoFundMe is refunded. How do you launch a successful crowdfunding campaign?

Comment

Working...
            X