Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone at work think I subside off chocolate alone?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
    Wow!

And also another thing for me to add to the 'why I am scared of birds' list. (Alfred Hitchcock has a lot to answer for and I haven't even seen the whole movie.)
    Well, they are the last of the dinosaurs!

Comment

While doing my falconry course part of it is helping with the flying demos for the public. I got chased by the demonic vulture of doom. All you see it this vulture with its wings outspread running on the ground (lazy bastard) chasing the poor human handler.
      Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
        Of course, you might have a problem if your neighbors have small dogs or cats.
        ...Which we do. The neighborhood has more tiny dogs than large, and one neighbor has around half a dozen cats who roam the area -- including our (un-fenced) back yard, as it's home to bluebirds and cardinals and other birds (Oh my!)
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
          (and we get no employee discount so why the hell would I?)
          No employee discount?! Good grief, even the Drug Store From Hell let us buy stuff at cost + 10%.

They offer no employee discount and are utterly shocked that you aren't buying anything from them. Typical Corporate thinking (or lack thereof).
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            No employee discount?! Good grief, even the Drug Store From Hell let us buy stuff at cost + 10%.

They offer no employee discount and are utterly shocked that you aren't buying anything from them. Typical Corporate thinking (or lack thereof).
            Yep, we're the only chain grocery store in Canada that doesn't give their employees a discount. Hell, CG gives their employees 30% and family of employees 15%. Yet we are by far more expensive (and presumably make far more $$) yet we offer nothing?

Not only that but since the business changed hands a few years back we now have to pay out of our own pocket for the First Aid course so they can have the First Aid attendant that they are required by law to have. Let me make it clear, this is not a case of you pay and we reimburse you. This is straight up, you pay because we won't, even though we can't legally run this business without FA people.

Oh and the stupid "anonymous" phone survey we have to do once a year? Well it's definitely not (already knew that. They wouldn't need our employee # if it were). And if you answer honestly and say they're doing a shit job…

"I feel like my opinions matter to my higher ups." Haha, if that were the case we would have updated our till years ago and fixed the shit that causes us to loose massive amounts of potential revenue. "I feel like my suggestions are taken seriously!" Haha ha hahaha nope not a single one. Otherwise our call in list would resemble, first of all, an actual list. It would have colour coded times of when people have agreed they are most likely free to come in. Would be easy to read and use. I even have one made up. I did all the leg work and designing so that you could find someone to cover a shift immediately. Instead of our current 'call list' which consists of sticky notes tapes to the wall in cash office half of which the people don't even work here any more and no numbers to actually call anyone. Or my personal favourite "I feel like we have all the tools to do our job well." Ummm let's see. Our training sucks. Till #8 hand scanner doesn't work and hasn't in months. Yes they're aware. The system occasionally freezes so bad that the tills can't be used for up to 20min. Yes they have been told repeatedly. The magnetic lock door installed three years ago doesn't lock at midnight when we close and customers still wander in. Which they know about because we complain every day about it and a formal request to fix that shit gets filed every week. Only half the tills have code books. Nobody knows where any of the cleaning shit is. To name but a few in a very long list.

…but if you dare give them bad ratings on their survey you will get a meeting with a HO rep who will then promise to fix everything while looking utterly baffled at the need to actually have working equipment and the actual tools needed for our job.
            Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Were you in the US, that "paying for first aid training" thing would absolutely be illegal. I dunno much of anything about Canadian labor law, however.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Were you in the US, that "paying for first aid training" thing would absolutely be illegal. I dunno much of anything about Canadian labor law, however.
                Maybe. If it's "if you're the first person to get first aid training you get additional job security and a bump in pay" that's one thing. If it's "you there, take this course or you're fired" that's something else.

Comment

I was referring to making it mandatory, rather than doing it on your own in exchange for an incentive.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    I was referring to making it mandatory, rather than doing it on your own in exchange for an incentive.
                    Of course. Don't know what options AkaiKitsune had there.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
                      Peregrine Falcon.
                      BEE-YOU-TIFUL!

I'd love something like that but TBH I don't think I could bring myself to feed it ...

We once had an Oscar (type of fish) and my poor grandmother, who babysat us daily while Mom was at work, had the unenviable job of feeding it ... worms.

Then there was the preying mantis my mom's father caught for us, and poor mom ended up being the one to feed IT ...

Cats and kibble are fine with me.
                      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                        ... I don't think I could bring myself to feed it ... .
                        Like my friend bringing home the feeder mice for his snake...

In the happy little box with big print saying "Thank you for giving us a good home!"
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Some friends of mine once had fish that preferred live food. "Feeder guppies." It was ... disturbing to watch.
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                            ... "Feeder guppies." It was ... disturbing to watch.
                            My mother (mid 30s) put a baby guppy in a friend's glass of water while he was telling stories to the group... He thought they were hanging on every word, waiting attentively whenever he paused for a sip...

... they were watching the guppy swim away ...

... he got to the last drop, looked, said, "There's a speck of dirt in here." and dumped it in the sink.

So Mom told him there were two.
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

... Horrible, cruel to the guppy... yet hilarious.

Comment

Had numerous of our chickens and guineas 'volunteered' to feed the pair of eagles nesting in our lower pasture woods. Handsome birds.
                                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                                X