Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any way that you can arrange for an employee assistance program? Basically it provides about six to eight sessions of counselling over the phone and the whole thing is confidential. Minnie sounds like she could benefit.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
      For gods sakes, we won't make anyone work that much. Not only is it illegal for her to work off the clock and not be paid for it, but it's horribly immoral and makes me feel terribly guilty.

Very rarely should she EVER have to work beyond 8 hours, and then she should be paid for it. My husband once dressed her down for working over 8 hours without talking to him about it.
      Minnie needs to be told that she is NEVER to work off the clock, it exposes the hotel to liability issues, and that if she is caught doing so there will be disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
        Gizmo, yeah, I think that might be part of it. I honestly think she was abused by the last owner, maybe not physically but you know what I mean. The way she was treated is almost slavery.

But we aren't the last owner. We are very fair, and I heavily support fair treatment for fair pay for workers and equal rights for all.
        That doesn't matter, if she's got the victim mentality in her brain.

One of my personal definitions of insanity: "a sane way of coping with an insane situation".

In other words: she developed certain behaviour patterns that protected her from Dragon Lady's insane situation.
        Now that she's working for you, those behaviour patterns are maladaptive. They actually create problems. But because she's used to Dragon Lady, and because the behaviour patterns are deeply embedded, she can't just 'switch them off'.

An example of maladaptive behaviour is veterans of any war who react to the sound of helicopters or firecrackers by ducking for cover. Works damn well in a warzone, totally unnecessary in a peace situation.
        Can they stop doing it? Hell no! Not just by wanting to. It takes intensive work, and often professional assistance, to stop.
        And this is people who believe and know that the situation is genuinely different.

Minnie .. might not.

NOTE: I don't know Minnie. I don't know Dragon Lady. I DO, firmly, believe you and Crucible want the best for the hotel, and are trying to be honest and fair with Minnie and the other co-workers.

I say this only because IF DL was genuinely causing an abusive and insane environment, Minnie MIGHT be stuck with maladaptive patterns, and need professional assistance to change.
        It's NOT your job to fix her. Among other things, you don't have the professional knowledge. And you're too damn busy!
        But providing information on where to get help (I know - researching that in your copious free time) and encouraging her to do it, may be a helpful thing to do.

Your choice.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Yes, I do think that an intervention is necessary to get MtM the help that she needs.
          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
            Gizmo, yeah, I think that might be part of it. I honestly think she was abused by the last owner, maybe not physically but you know what I mean. The way she was treated is almost slavery.

But we aren't the last owner. We are very fair, and I heavily support fair treatment for fair pay for workers and equal rights for all.
            That's possible... she may be still in a mode where she feels she can't trust anyone yet.

Also she may be finding that her rent is eating more of her pay than she expected. But that's also not your fault.

If she keeps trying to work off the clock however you may be forced to find another employee. Cos as much as you want to assure her you're not going to fuck her over you do have to draw the line somewhere cos... she could end up costing you a lot if her habits are discovered.

Comment

Yeah, I think she may be on her way out. Not that I want to. Dragon Lady may have been nuts, but we are not the Dragon Lady.

Comment

Whatever happens, I hope she's able to get the help she needs and find some measure of peace.
                Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
                  Whatever happens, I hope she's able to get the help she needs and find some measure of peace.
                  If nothing else, she'll at least have a previous employer that won't lie about her previous employment status.
                  Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I agree, and yes she will. I can't imagine denying that someone works here for any reason. That's just insane.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks that DL must be related to Cinderella's evil stepmother?
                      Persephone is the reason for the season.

Comment

lol. That's awesome.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                          I agree, and yes she will. I can't imagine denying that someone works here for any reason. That's just insane.
                          I have a hard time believing that's legal. MtM has a slam-dunk against DL and ex-owner for the labor law violations alone--at least then the stolen supplies and fixtures will go to a better cause Try to refer her to a good labor lawyer.
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Any other stories?
                            Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

Quoth Andrew B. View Post
                              Any other stories?
                              No, sorry. Since Dragon Lady is gone, I don't have any more.

Comment

Working...
                              X