This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A (probably really stupid) question about Chrome

What the heck is that "Incognito Window" feature for?? (It's under the drop-down menu under 'File' -- you get "New Tab", "New Window" and then "New Incognito Window.)
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Otherwise know as Private Browsing. It does not store cookies (keeps them only while the browser is open) and it deletes temporary files when you close the browser. It also does not share to the web host all that personal information it has.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

... interesting ....

Thanks. (That explains why I could never automatically get back to the page I'd last been on, which is why I quit using it ... )
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Recommended for stuff like online banking, but more usually used to hide one's interest in ... "niche" websites from others that might share the computer.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I was wondering about the "niche" thing ...
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Firefox has the same thing. They call it "Open Link in New Private Window."

Internet Explorer does not appear to have a similar feature.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Niche would probably be something along the lines of alt.sex.bestiality.hamster.duct_tape.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                Niche would probably be something along the lines of alt.sex.bestiality.hamster.duct_tape.
                Is Usenet still around? My internet provider quit offering access to it years ago. At the time the non-spam content had dropped to near zero.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Incognito Mode can also be used for making purchases without having ads for them show up later. Good for "private" items as well as gifts.
                  The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                    Incognito Mode can also be used for making purchases without having ads for them show up later. Good for "private" items as well as gifts.
                    Now THAT is nice to know. Online popup ads are probably gonna be responsible at some point for me throwing my computer through the nearest window.
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                    X