Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(warning long) ATTENTION! Customers, managers and co-workers you all suck!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (warning long) ATTENTION! Customers, managers and co-workers you all suck!

Background:

Im working in a hardware store that really promotes it's tires. I been there for 8 months give or take a week or two. Other than the manager there is one co-worker whos been there longer (2 years) Today I was working with a guy whos been there almost three weeks and this is what happen to me today in order ( 8 am to 5 pm)

Also keep in mind this: For some reason my manager has two departments tools and repair. Everyday weither hes (manager) si there or not its up to me whos goes when for breaks for lunch and then breaks again. First breaks are suppose to be between 10 am to 11 am Lunch is suppose to be at 1 pm for all morning shift ppls and last breaks are suppose to be between 3 pm and 4pm so afternoon shift can take their lunch at 4 pm (they are also suppose to take their first breaks at 3 pm too)

Onwards!

8:30 am

I was told by a older male customer to quit my job and go back to the kitchen for my husband. I was cutting wire for him, I had to repeat everything i was saying to him three to four time , like ' this is 14/2 wire' and this one 'I dont sell it by the foot only by meter' and finally this one ' a meter is a little more then three feet, for that tile to this tile (pointed with the toe of my sneaker to each spot) As I was writing down the number he tell me what he thinks and I know he wasent joking cause he said to my co worker "you know what I saying dont cha, "n I handed my coworker the paper and glance over my shoulder and said " Now that I been insulted I can walk away from you bed breath, have a pleasent day sir." I walked into the ware house and threw some boexs around.

10 am ( repair co-works is currently on break)
    I am finding an item for a 'following me around the store like a pet' customer when I get stoped by two ladies who want to ask me a quick question, I tell them politly i am with a customer they insist that its only a quick question and start to ask it, (it was about vacuum cleaners, this is what i know about them, they suck shit up) I tell them I will find someone to help them when I am finished with my own customer. I page housewares to whatever asle on my way back they want me to help them again I called housewares and she said she been there to help them and they dont have a clue what they want. I politly infore them that housewares is on their way again I am sorry but i am still with my own customer.

10: 30 am ( my co worker is back and now tools is gone so im covering tools for 15 mins right?)
    Ok to sum up the next 47 minutes of my life (yes I was timing it) I helped people find tools, one lady had me runing all over the 2 story warehouse looking for a tool chest only to leave the store. I spent most of my tiem like a traffic police directing traffic. I am being page to the paint desk the hockey desk and to customer service. With a phone attached to my ear from one call to another I manage to get everything tooken care of at 10 50, 20 minutes after tools went on break he called to tell me he was on the floor . it took us ten minutes to get close enough to each other so I could toss his keys and phone to him. it literally took me 17 minutes to get back to my own department. One guy in pictualr wanted the tools guy he walked by him twice to come to me and inform me that he wasent there. The last time he came up to me after i had the tools guy wait in the asile the customer came to me and got in my face and i just said "Your not the only one in this store and there is only one person in tools, Ive sent him to the asile you wanted three times and each time you were not there to meet him, and if you turn around you can see hime there helping a customer."

11 :25 Yay my break time only got called to a phone three times but i managed to eat soemthing. that last call lady wanted paint. So down I went at 11: 40 she wanted paint but she wanted help picking out a color... her color selection was yellows.........Between yellow and greens I dont know which one i hate more.... lets put it this way. Everyword I said to that woman about my own opinion was a lie. My facts were true but everytime she asked me if I like this one or this one I lie it was 12 : 15 when I was finshed with her. ( at this point in time actually at 12 pm my repair co worker went to lunch so I was alone in a section that covers asils 45 to 63 in one asile alone I probably had well over 2 thousands items in it.

1245pm A gent ask em for help in lights I go, his wife is there with housewares lady. She scans the light this looked for while shes doing that I go around to the next asile and pick up said product and being it to them. The one on display is brushed nickle the one im holding with the same demisions and product number and price is brushed petwer. Skip ahead to where the lady tries to get me to believe that one product should be another even though by this time I said it a dozen time we must have gotten sent either the wrong promo cards and infor my the company or they messed up the packagaing either or. It is now 1 20pm, tools is going to lunch and my coworker is down covering for him. I am up to my elbows in soapy water cleaning out paint machine.

2 pm
    was my lunch time I dint get to go up to the lunch room until almost quarter after due to customers and what not nothing big enough to mention. I go up its me and the supervisor from the warehouse we chat and all too soon its time to go back.

3 15pm

Im down on the floor and i seen my coworker on his break he dosent get up to the lunch room until 3 30pm I didnt realize he was still gone until quarter to 4. Because the whole time he was gone I was dealing with ONE customer. He walked up to the desk and asked me "who do i have to talk to about Generators?"
    "Seasonal staff " was my answer then I said "I can have them paged to meet you in aisle 93"
    "Can you find out how much a 3000W Generators with an auto start are?"
    "Sure ." figuring call up seasonal and ask right? no biggie? well she didnt know either and I couldn't spell generators right to do a search. he walked away from me with his cell phone to his head. Finally we figure out that we used to carry a 3000w one but we dont not any longer. I tell him this and his responce was"Did it have an auto start?"
    Mine: "Well sir, I dont know that information would be on the box and since we dont have any in stock I wont be able to find out."
    "Give'us your number and you work on that and Ill give you a call later." holding out his hand expently
    "No Im sorry I am going to have to tranfser you to seasonal department a co worker is in aisle 93 right now and she will be better suiter to taking your information and finding you answers. finally he walked away.

3 45pm Repair and tools trad off from breaks

during this time I deal with someone wanting an item we last had in during the year 05. in 05 the store was down the road further and anything past 07 is practically impossible to find in the ware house. Of course I got and take a look nadduda nuthing I come out and tell him so. I do have good news though there are 2 of each on thier way but their not in transport yet and i wont get a ETA until then (eta= estimated time of arrival)They go away. Opps a page to the fire place display (witch is on the other side of the store) so I go and I get there and they just want to plug it in...fine I plug it in and then another and then another, and opps another page to the paint desk and another to customer service. I tell customer service to call bread and get him to do what ever. Cause I really needed to go on my break. I go back to the paint desk the yellow paint lady is back she wants darker yellow cause the pale yellow was too yellow aparently... whatever I do it . BF shows up yay! its is now 4 15 pm and I am the last to go on break we had no one in at 1 so there was no one to go for their lunch. I go.

4 30pm
    I walk in to put up my coat and there two managers in there and one said 'queen is dealing with it?' I peek around the corner "with what?"
    I am told the customer srevice still needed me for a hot water tank the guy is still waiting and the store manager is looking for me. I run down to customer service take a sticker run up to the hot water tanks on the way I snag someone phone call my repair co worker and tell him to boot it over ASAP. We get there I show him the serial number and tell him to look for the matching one. His responce was "I did that." Now imagine the cocked eyebrow wide open eyes with a hit of are-you-fing-kidding-me look. The phone rings and he answer I look at the tanks sure enough theres neither one there that matches. My co workes ceoms back he taking the cheep tank billybob is bring it out. I go up and slap the sticker on the box as it is being carried to customer service the only thing i said was "tell them thats his sticker please"

4 50pm
    I am paged to call customer service, it hasn't been a minute since the hot water tank rolled out of my sight. I call . "wheres the product number?"
    I literly sink to my knees and i am talking to the cupboard "The serial number dos not match any of the tanks we have on display and unless you want me to crawl through the bowels of the warehouse and frosthouse theirs no way I can find you one." her responce was "ok"...click.....dialtone.............
    Just as I finally find the urge to stand guess who walkes by oh you know the store manager.

SM= store manger
    Queen/ me= shrugs shoulder

SM "Queen did you take a break?"
    me"yes I did two of them actually"
    Sm"You had a break earlier?" (manager came in the lunch room at 2ish and saw me there and though I was taking another break at 4, thats where this Question comes from)
    me"Yes at about 11 am this morning."
    Sm open close mouth a few times while his brain catches up "what time did you go on your........" he literly trails off at this point
    me" I went to lunch at 2 10pm and I finally got on my break at 4 15 pm"
    sm "4pm is too late for breaks, dont do that anymore."
    me my mouth opens and the filter kicks in and I say "ok" what I wanted to say was, you meant to tell me that I cant take my break because people ate up my time and my coworkers all took longer everything than me causing me to be late at every point, never mined the fact I am not a manager nor was i every properly trained I trained myself by asking questions and trail and error.

Now

It makes me so mad to think about the stupid shit people say I mean really if I wasn't aloud a break I sure as hell would have head in the bathroom for 15 minutes. They cant deny me my break can they?
    I was looking forward to sunday hoping i would have it off but yesterday apparently my mananger told a few people that they had the weekend off and by my math that leaves me and another girl left to work the entire weekend....now i am depressed..... BIG SIGH
    Shoot, I broke my stupid stick....again.

No. They cannot, not on an eight hour (or longer) shift. That's federal, not state, so no variations.
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Thats what I thought and believed. Thanks for vertifing that for me
      Shoot, I broke my stupid stick....again.

Comment

For your reading pleasure Canadian Labor laws involving overtime and breaks:

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/lp/spila/...ime_Meal.shtml

Quote from the above link:

The province of Newfoundland and Labrador awards to employees a meal break of one hour after five consecutive hours of work.

Moreover, no legislation obliges an employer to provide coffee breaks to employees. However, if a coffee break is provided in Ontario, Quebec or Saskatchewan, employers must consider it as time worked.
        EDIT:
        I had to look this up before I posted on it, but USA federal law does not require break periods at all. This is handled on the state level. Some states don't even require meal or break periods be given. Most states have statutes covering persons under the age of 18 as far as meal or break periods go but that is it. The most I could find on the Federal level is that breaks given that are not meal periods must be counted toward hours worked when calculating over time pay. Meal periods are only considered such as long as the employee is not required to perform any duties while eating and meal periods are not required to be paid, nor are they required to be counted toward hours worked for overtime pay. Again this is all on the federal level, State Labor laws vary widely.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/state/meal.htm
        Last edited by Chanlin; 11-20-2008, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X