This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical tastes

Many people who know me are frequently surprised by my choices in music. Apparently, I come off as a 'Country & Western' fan who would never listen to anything else.

Just for fun here glorious mix of the last 10 recording artists I listened to this morning:

Kenny Chesney
    Fall Out Boy
    Carly Rae Jepsen
    Queen
    John Williams
    Ed Sheeran
    AC/DC
    Taylor Swift
    Rob Zombie
    Disturbed

I don't really like much rap, and I really loathe jazz. But other than that, pretty much anything goes. Anyone else have eclectic music tastes that surprise people who think they know you?

My music tastes are somewhat eclectic. Most of my life I have been a country western fan. But I have also always like classical music. With the advent of XM radio I have become fond of doo-wop music. My music collection includes a little bit of everything
    : CW, classical, bluegrass, folk music, acid rock, rock & roll, Celtic, show tunes, etc.

I was once at a craft fair wearing a Harley-Davidson t-shirt. I shocked one of the performers by asking him to play Pachebel's canon. He wasn't expecting that based on my attire.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I'm kinda like that, too.

With country, I generally don't listen to most "mainstream" (airplay) country. It's too "pop country" or "bro country" for me.

I've started listening to Red Dirt, Texas Country, Neotraditional Country, Traditional Country, and the like.

I'm also a fan of The Beatles and Elvis, and other specific music from that era (some better than others, of course).

I also occasionally listen to things like Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Aerosmith, Drowning Pool, and Motorhead, to name a few, as well as some "southern rock" and blues.

When the mood strikes, I also listen to Ennio Morricone's "The Ecstasy of Gold".

I've also been known to listen to classical/baroque period music as well.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Oh hell yeah. I grew up in the 60's/70's so I still like a lot of the old 70's pop but I don't listen to it much anymore.

My current faves:

Thea Gilmore
        Audiomachine
        Alice Cooper
        Adrian Von Ziegler (Youtube artist)

But I also love Queen, Loreena McKennitt, some of Enya's older stuff, Faun, Moody Blues... I like what I like, and I don't feel that I have to follow any one particular genre all the time. I don't even necessarily like every song my faves have done. And I really enjoy finding new artists and new music to love.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'll listen to most everything except a few things, very heavy metal (like death metal and such) and modern rap. I have really random reasons to like or not like something. This has lead to me liking a song here and there, but rarely liking an artist's complete works. I grew up on classic rock, and have a soft spot for Pink Floyd, Queen, Aerosmith. But I also grew up on Destiny's Child, Nirvana, Christina Aguilera. Blondie, Moody Blues. I was fairly obsessed with J-Pop in high school, still like me some Gackt every once in a while.

Um, now I like stuff by Muse, Radiohead, Imagine Dragons. I like a couple Goldfrapp songs, and a couple Beach House. I like classical, though I'm by no means a connoisseur. Lately I've been listening to what youtube calls "modern noir"(or whatever this is called??) Latin tango, and the blues (broad, I know).
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I grew up with a mother who had eclectic tastes in music. She liked:

Queen
            Status Quo
            Abba
            Aretha Franklin
            Nat King Cole
            Tina Turner
            Billy Ocean
            Bon Jovi
            Michael Jackson (Thriller-era, mainly)
            Motown and Soul in general

I grew up loving the above (some of my favourite memories involve rocking around the living room with my mum, belting out whatever song was on the radio), and added:

AC/DC
            Duran Duran (thanks, stepdad)
            Buzzcocks (again, thanks stepdad)
            Billy Idol (stepdad again)
            Take That (again, stepdad, I didn't actually like them the 1st time around)
            Random songs from Metallica, Ed Sheeran (Nancy Mulligan rocks), various heavy metal, soft punk, rock in general and opera (stepdad again)

None of us like the Beatles. I prefer singers that don't sound like they're bored and liable to fall asleep in the middle of singing.

Seriously, what is it with my family? I guess we're as Heinz 57 with our music as we are with our ancestry.
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I've had people be horrified that I love AC/DC, Alice Cooper, Rolling Stones, Billy Thorpe and the like. Apparently because I love skirts, dresses and pretty clothes, I should love pop and light fluffy music?

So picture a small child with red hair and freckles in a pretty dress and pigtails with ribbons rocking out to It's a Long Way to the Top and Most People I Know (Think That I'm Crazy).

I like very few pop artists and those that I do like are generally a bit left of centre or with powerful voices. I didn't like Christina Aguilera when she first got big, but I love her version of Candyman and her later stuff when she moved away from sticky sweet songs. I loved Pink from the beginning, but still will not listen to anything by Britney or Jessica Simpson.

And it's funny because I still can't listen to 'boy bands' like N*Sync or Take That but enjoy listening Justin Timberlake and Robbie Williams.
              A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Apparently my middle-aged soccer mom ass doesn't look like a metal fan. I'm like the mom in Monsters University (only she was listening to Mastodon and I don't like them that much).
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                  Apparently my middle-aged soccer mom ass doesn't look like a metal fan. I'm like the mom in Monsters University (only she was listening to Mastodon and I don't like them that much).
                  My wife digs a lot of "power metal". Bands like Iced Earth, Savatage, Blind Guardian and Jag Panzer.

Though she also listens to things like The Scorpions.
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

My music tastes are pretty much all over the map, but everyone around me has mostly gotten used to it. It's no so much that I listen to Crystal Method or Anthrax or Lindsey Sterling or Elton John, etc, but that I go from one to the next without stopping. There's very few genres of music I dismiss completely.
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

The way I figure, why should I try to shove myself in a box musically? I've always been that way: in high school I listened to a lot of metal (Metallica, Ozzy, Type O Negative, etc.) but I also listened to Enya, while my mother mostly listened to country, which I also enjoyed. Since then, I've expanded both my tastes and my music collection enormously (it was my #1 expense in the 90's, by far, and I'm still spending). Just trying to narrow it down to a few examples is hard: modern metal, some dubstep and club music, country, classical, alt rock, even some hip hop.

I've found that the best way to get a wide range of styles in a single purchase is soundtracks. Movies are okay (but relatively short), TV series are better (but hit-and-miss), video games the best (for the most part).

Quoth mjr View Post
                      My wife digs a lot of "power metal". Bands like Iced Earth, Savatage, Blind Guardian and Jag Panzer.

Though she also listens to things like The Scorpions.
                      I think that the Scorpions were considered "power metal" back in the 80's. Just sayin'.
                      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that they have narrow musical tastes.

A lot of people start out with "I like almost everything, except...." Often that list of exceptions gets very very long indeed.

Most recently I've been listening to Zuco 103, an odd blend of EDM and Brazilian jazz. But before that was some Tool, Bloodhound Gang, Alpha Blondy (love "Cocody Rock"), the Dandy Warhols, Downset, Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, Skrillex .... But I also have Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Santana, Rush, and other more classic stuff that I listen to frequently.

No country, unless you count a little bit of Grateful Dead. The only rap is 90s or 'Naughties rap-metal. I like some classical music but hate opera.

Hmm, you know--the opera and country loathing could both come from people trying to force-feed those to me when I was young. Mom was (and is!) a huge opera fan, and I grew up in an area where they played "both kinds of music, country AND western!"
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I like a lot of types, it depends on my mood. When I'm happy I like fast paced music like dance, hip hop, pop, rock, etc. When I'm sad, I like slow paced music like ballads or classical. My least favorite genres are: country, disco, metal, music in another language, uh....that's it I think :P. Oh yeah and jazz.
                          Last edited by HotelMinion; 04-05-2018, 08:37 PM.
                          Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                          The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

One new thing I found recently is Japanese drum music! No one particular group, I'm still just getting a feel for it, but I really love me some good drum music anyway, and these guys are amazing.
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Depeche Mode
                              U2
                              Dave Matthews Band
                              Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
                              REM
                              Florence and The Machine
                              Madonna
                              Sarah McClachlan
                              Lady Gaga
                              Fitz and The Tantrums
                              I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

Working...
                              X