This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the first time I was left utterly speechless

I am a security guard...stupid skateboarders...grind blockers...vandalism...blah blah blah. Read my other threads for more details on exactly what I do and the stupid people I've dealt with.

So I work a day shift now(woo!), 7AM-3PM. About 1:40 I'm sitting on one of the benches out front taking a short breather in the shade. Directly in front of me, about ten feet away, is one of the infamous benches from my other threads. One of the holy grails of grinding places in all of Tucson, apparently. It has big ol' honkin' grind blockers on it now.

As I'm sitting there three guys on bikes ride up to the bench in front of me. The bench less than ten feet from me. They lean down off their bikes and begin examining the grind blockers and discussing them. I'm about to tell them to leave when I actually begin listening to what they are saying. Only one of them spoke, and he is hereafter referred to as Mr. Douchewaffle.

Mr. D: ...so yeah, we can come back later with a ratchet and just take them off. Wouldn't be to hard. Just toss 'em in the trash, should take 'em a while to get them replaced.
    Me: (standing up and walking up to them) Are you guys seriously discussing how you're going to remove the grind blockers in front of the security guard?
    Mr. D: (looks completely unperturbed that I am there, or that I am pissed off about what he is saying) Don't worry man, we're gonna do it after you're gone.
    Me: (Absolutely fucking speechless. Really, I could not come up with a rational response to this blatant asshattery. My jaw literally dropped.)
    Mr. D: (turns back to companions) So yeah, these nuts are loose, see? I can loosen this one with just my hand. The rest should come off with some tools.
    Me: You are discussing plans to commit vandalism in front of a uniformed security guard. You do realize this is exactly what I'm supposed to prevent, right?
    Mr. D: Like I said, we're gonna do it after you leave. So you're doing your thing right now, keeping this patch safe and secure, and we'll do our thing after you're gone.
    Me: Get...get the hell out of here. (I look down at the ground and just point for them to leave. Amazingly, they do so without further comment.)

I mean...gah. The blatant disregard for the law, private property, and decent common sense just amazed me. It took a lot of willpower for me not to smack him in the head with my walkie-talkie. And the kicker? These weren't kids. They weren't even teens. These guys were in their late 20's, possibly early 30's. There is no excuse for their attitude. Are you telling me that they made it this far in life with so little regard for others? Amazing.

I made sure to fill in my relief on what happened, and gave him a description of the bikers. I told him if they show up again at all to just go ahead and call the police. If I come in to work tomorrow and the grind blockers are gone and the benches are all scratched up I may go insane. Plus management is likely to kill someone over this. They're sick and tired of this bullshit.

Quoth TheRedHawk View Post
    If I come in to work tomorrow and the grind blockers are gone and the benches are all scratched up I may go insane. Plus management is likely to kill someone over this. They're sick and tired of this bullshit.
    The nuts should be welded on.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

WOW!!

Youd think after you addressed them the first time, theyd have ran....Kids these days got some balls...

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
        I have already suggested this to site management. It is being looked into. Then again, it took them months of "looking into" adding grind blockers in the first place. Wonder how long this will take?

Comment

You know, it's still intent to commit a crime, it's still illegal, although how what you do about it I don't know.
          If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
            I'm on it!

*Grabs gloves and welder's helmet*

Dad? DAD! Where's the arc welder? THE ARC WELDER! I need to borr-ugh, I NEED TO BORROW IT! THE ARC WELDER! DAD! Dammit, where did he- NEVERMIND I FOUND IT! I SAID I FOUND IT! Dad?! Oh crap.
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
              Uh ... is that advice on the bench or your recommendation for what to do to the 'boarders?

Comment

Uh ... is that advice on the bench or your recomendation for what to do to the 'boarders?
                yes, just yes
                If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                  Uh ... is that advice on the bench or your recommendation for what to do to the 'boarders?

What the heck, the Christmas season is almost upon us. . .*sings* "Punks' nuts roasting on an open fire/ Jack Flame nipping at their balls. . ."
                  "Sir, if you don't shut up, I'm going to kick one hundred percent of your ass!" - "Brad Hamilton", Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Comment

Too bad you couldn't set up a webcam to catch them in the act.
                    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Isn't this considered conspiring to committ a crime? Like another poster stated, conspiring is also illegal.

What balls!
                      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                        I'm on it!

*Grabs gloves and welder's helmet*
                        Well now we got that part....... Need a truck, and at least one more person to help?

/me offers truck
                        Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
                        pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

Am I the only one who is thinking that a petition for a city-run skatepark would be logical?
                          I'm sure this is not the only area that skateboarders/rollerbladers/BMXers are riding at, so other businesses are likely having the same problem and would surely like to see the kids gone.
                          Sure the petition would take a lot of leg-work, but with the right amount of determination someone would hopefully listen, and more importantly you wouldn't have to deal with the kids anymore.
                          Hell, find the right business and they might even be willing to front a bit of cash for the park.
                          It sounds to me like these kids have nowhere else to skate, and while I don't condone vandalism I can understand where these kids are coming from: this is something they love doing and there's nowhere for them to do it. Aside from the visually unappealing mess it makes, skating doesn't harm anyone and it's good physical activity.
                          I actually feel bad for these kids that they have nowhere to go to partake in the sport they love doing.
                          Imagine if you loved playing football and you were constantly being kicked out of parks because your cleets were mucking up the grass, and that there was nowhere else to play a good game.
                          It's a lot of work but it's an idea.

If it's something that you would ever consider try looking into skate shops around your city and talking to the owners about it. Talk to the kids and ask them if they would like a skate park. Ask them if they even have anywhere they can go to skate that they aren't being kicked out of.

Or you can just keep repeating the same issue of kicking them off the property every day.
                          Last edited by rerant; 11-18-2008, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I'm in the same town as Red Hawk and we do have a city maintained skate park. It does suck a bit, more for bmx than skate boarders. It does exist, just most of these "kids" are too lazy to go to it.

Red, pm me your location and I'll come say hi sometime.
                            I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
                            -The Amazing E
                            Zonies social group now open!

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                              Am I the only one who is thinking that a petition for a city-run skatepark would be logical?
                              Two problems with this idea.

1. In these economic times, it would be a suicidal politician that would advocate spending city money on something like this, and taxpayers would never vote for it.

2. The above is a moot point. As has been pointed out, such a park already exists. I am 2600 miles away, and found it without a problem here. If I can find it from Key West, I have no doubt that the skaters and bikers in Tucson already know all about it.

Quoth rerant View Post
                              Talk to the kids and ask them if they would like a skate park.
                              That's the thing. You keep referring to these people as "kids." But as has already been stated, these are NOT kids.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X