Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heaven help me, is this the generation that's going to be responsible for us when we're old and decrepit? I'm frightened
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Talk about Epic Failure!
      I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

That makes my head hurt and my heart weep.
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
          That makes my head hurt and my heart weep.
          I know . . . I didn't have that luxury back in the 70's and 80's when I was in school but I don't think I suffered because I *gasp* had to do my work myself. . .

Of course, we can go over to Fratching to delve deeper into the pluses and minuses of the American school system . . . .come to think of it, this would be a most excellent topic for that board.

We now resume the discussion of Sucky Customers . . . hold the debates or take 'em to Fratching. This is your only warning . . .
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I say you would have been justified to tell her to GTFO. Every reader in the world would have had your back.

You could have always grabbed a dictionary and read the entry for ethics, although I doubt it would have penetrated her thick skull. The fun thing with stupid people is you can openly mock them simply by using words with more than one syllable.
            I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
            -The Amazing E
            Zonies social group now open!

Comment

OL: “What?! You mean he has to read a book himself?
              "Yes. And turning in someone else's paper claiming it as yours is plagiarism. Schools punish for that... failing grades, suspension, expelling ....

And reading books makes you smarter... So, you want you child to not learn?"

I'm just glad my sister is going to be going to school in Japan and not the US.
              A full Japanese school, or one on a base?

I've heard about the Japanese schools... very strict. I forgot how many hours a day the students have - but I do remember it's 6 days a week.
              Last edited by PepperElf; 11-19-2008, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Quoth candyshopgirl View Post
                I can't imagine a MOM incouraging her son/daughter not to learn and read. When her kids grows and is a complete moron she'll be to blame.
                You really think she'll take the blame No, I have a feeling that she'll blame the teacher, the school...anyone else *but* herself.* Seen that too many times. It's not just elementary school--I've heard college students bitch and moan about how "school is too hard."
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth wanderingjoe72 View Post
                  The fun thing with stupid people is you can openly mock them simply by using words with more than one syllable.
                  I like you. I have a book called Depraved and Insulting English that is a dictionary of old, naughty words. Great read if you're looking to really insult the simple-mided. But of course, for insults, you can't go wrong with Shakespeare.

*huggles Shakespeare's Insults book*
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                    *huggles Shakespeare's Insults book*
                    <.<

>.>

Here. Don't say where you got it.

<Skulks off into the darkness>
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth LibraryLady View Post
                      It's very sad but I'm not surprised at all. For at least the last 20 years we've been getting calls and E-mails asking for a 'nice little paper on (fill in the blank) that Bratleigh or Buford could hand in.
                      See, I'd have to tell them I need more details to tailor the paper to the course. Like the teacher's name and school, and if they have a phone number and email for the teacher, that would avoid having to bother them with any questions, since I could just ask directly.

Comment

I ran into about the same sentiment the other day while substituting. I was in an 8th grade Social Studies class...SC History. Their assignment was filling out a chart about battles in SC during the Revolutionary War. Date, county, winner, significance. Basic.

But they didn't know the meaning of significance. Even the advanced class.

Then one student told me that he couldn't find it in the book. I said he had to read and synthesize it. Which lost him. So I told him he had to think of the answer himself based on the information. His eyes went wide and he said "But that's too hard! They should put that in the book!"

If I wasn't already having problems controlling the class I think I would've cried right then...
                        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Sounds a lot like a customer I had to deal with once.
                          Granted they were calling about the TV being out. After complaining to no end about lack of entertainment they asked what I did when the TV went out.
                          I told them I live out in the middle of nowhere so I had broadcast TV and as the TV showings are quite limited I typically read.
                          She proceeded to make scoffing and huffing sounds.
                          Sheesh.
                          Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                            <.<

>.>

Here. Don't say where you got it.

<Skulks off into the darkness>
                            Hehe. *favorites*
                            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I hate that this woman is trying to put into her son's head that because someone won't give him exactly what he wants, despite the ethics of it that they are 'mean'. Hopefully the fact he seemed to be ignoring them will mean he won't turn into an EW too.

Comment

That's terrible. I remember when I was in school, my teachers made sure that we, as students, never EVER plagiarized anything.

In fact, my stepson (who has an over-the-top, coddling, helicopter mom -- not me) apparently plagiarized one of his school reports and then tried to use the excuse of "he had no choice ..."

Of course ... the teacher called him on it and told him to redo the report. YaY teacher! But honestly, it stems from his mother ... because she will actually do his work for him. What is this teaching him? To rely on others to get your work done. It pisses me off to no end. I can't even believe those two women in the OP even thought you could buy a book report from your average store ....

Methinks they never graduated ...
                                This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X