This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow. Classic.

The office suite where I work contains a large front reception area ringed by individual offices. My individual office opens onto the reception area, so if the receptionist is away from her desk, I can assist people who come in.

Yesterday I was sitting in my office, typing away on my computer, when someone entered the front door. I looked out, saw the receptionist was gone, got up from my desk, and went out into the reception area.

The man who came in WATCHED me stop typing, leave my office, and come out into the reception area. I say, "Hi, may I help you?" And what does he say....?

"Do you work here?"

I mean, it would be one thing if I had been milling around out in the public area. But asking me after seeing me get up from a desk IN AN OFFICE? And still not getting it after I asked if I could help? Sad. Just sad.
    Last edited by StarSong; 11-20-2008, 05:09 PM.
    "Thank God for the idiots: but for them, the rest of us could not succeed." ~Mark Twain

Q: "Do you work here?"

A: "Not if I can help it."
    I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

I asked a guy working at Staples if her knew where the staplers were.
      DUH! Of course he'd know!! He WORKS there! I felt so dumb.

Comment

Quoth poofy_puff View Post

A: "Not if I can help it."
        I've given that answer before . . . but then some people are just beyond dense.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I really tried to think of a tactful way to work in shameless self-promotion, but unfortunately, I cannot.

(See signature)
          Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

I've had people come up to my register while my light is on and I'm ringing a customer through and the belt is full of groceries to ask.."Are you open?" I know it isn't the same, but it's a similar brain fart in my opinion.

Yet I can be at work on break, out of uniform and otherwise not resembling an employee only to be asked "Do you work here?" People have radar, I tell ya.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

And then there are those on the opposite end of the idiot spectrum who, despite all evidence to the contrary insist that you ARE OPEN and/or work at the establishment and MUST SERVE LIKE THE MINION YOU ARE.

Comment

See, I would have just responded

"Nah, just hooking up a virus to destroy this place. You won't tell them, right?"

On the other side of things, I love it when people assume we work at other places. I love it when one of us, who is chewing gum, listening to their Ipod, wearing patchy, dirty clothes and browsing, and some SC demands their help, and brings up managers to fire that employee.
                Military Spouse Support.
                http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth poofy_puff View Post
                  *look down* "Er, no... usually, I work..." *one step left* "Here." *shit eating grin*
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth StarSong View Post

"Do you work here?"
                    "As little as possible, but don't let my boss know, k?"
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

"Do you work here?"

-No, I just beat up some chick and took her shirt.

-Nah, someone jus gave me this cool shirt. I just HAPPEN to be behind this counter, too.

-I am if you're buying, /wink.

-Why? You selling?

-OOK OOK *scratches head and butt at the same time*

-Yes, yes I do. Why do you ask?

-Are you a mouth breather?

-Were you dropped as a child?

and my personal favorite...

-Yes, welcome to hell.

Comment

"Do you work here?"

Nope! I'm only here for my health.
                        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                          *look down* "Er, no... usually, I work..." *one step left* "Here." *shit eating grin*
                          Must remember that one.
                          If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth Summerfly413 View Post
                            I asked a guy working at Staples if her knew where the staplers were.
                            DUH! Of course he'd know!! He WORKS there! I felt so dumb.
                            Um, I wouldn't feel too bad. There are a lot of workers that don't know where things are, even in their own sections. Even when they've worked there a loooong time.

I'd get the question when I was neck deep in product carts, while shelving and displaying items, with a full length apron and name tag on.
                            "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Quoth Nyoibo View Post
                              Must remember that one.
                              It helps if you look at their feet as well when you look down, and make it obvious that's what you're doing, and that that particular spot disgusts you for reasons unneeded.
                              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                              X