• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone Line Suckage

A= MOD manager on duty
    B=office person
    PO= previous owner

So I work the customer service desk at my work which means I answer the phone, process returns, special orders, large sales, answer/direct inquires so on and so forth. It's been pretty quiet lately since Christmas is over so I rarely get super busy. Hell tends to break loose at lunch time as it did yesterday. I was trying to process a return and the phone was ringing like crazy, 2 calls on hold for the manager, 2 for the receiver, and there's only 4 lines.

When it's busy I try to get through phone calls as quick as I can or quickly direct them. I get this one phone call and the guy starts ripping into me on why wasn't I answering the phone, it rang and rang and rang. I told him I was answering the phones but it is busy here and he started going on as to why wasn't someone else answering the phones then like A or B. Well A was busy with answering the calls for her and B wasn't in. The guy on the line was the previous owner(PO), current owner being his son.

B came in a few minutes later saying that PO was calling her as to why weren't the phones working, took her 8 minutes to reach me on the phone.

There are only 4 lines, at one point they were all busy but no one could seem to grasp this. If all the lines are full, then if someone else tries to call in it just keeps ringing, no busy tone or anything.

They think I was ignoring the phone, maybe for a ring or 2 while I'm with a customer, but not for 8 minutes.

I always thought the customer in front of me was the most important. I politely excuse myself to answer the phone and apologize after for the interruption. I know a big part of my job is answering the phone but cut me some slack, there's nothing I can do when the lines are all full

I like how SCs think there are people who are apparently assigned to do nothing but answer the phone all day. Some stores may do this, but most I've seen make people who are already doing something (working the floor, or even cashiering) answer what they can, when they can.

My bookstore has an answering machine so customers can leave messages and we'll get back t them when we are able. At Old Bookstore, one guy left an angry message, "You have a million people working there, and no one can answer the damn phone?!"

Actually sir, we have 5 people running this store, which is two floors and roughly 6,000 square feet.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Yah I know they company you're talking about patiokitty. I'm trying the give it no mind but I hate getting shit over something that's beyond my control. I'm just glad that the HR guy will be on my side, we get along really well and there's been a couple issues in the past he's sided with me on. I hate when it's a long winded person on the phone and I need to move onto other things but I hate to seem rude and tell them I need to go. It's fine when it's quiet but I'm sure you well know the long stories you get over a simple request on the phone, lol.

Comment

I'm just glad I had this guy to cuddle with when I went home for lunch

*MOD EDIT - Image has been resized out of courtesy to others.
        Last edited by Ree; 01-26-2013, 11:12 PM. Reason: Resizing image

Comment

Oh, he's adorable!!

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Tiger kitty....what a little love

Comment

Working...
            X