This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special event parking at the parking garage I work at

Here is the set up for special event parking at the parking garage I work at...

There are 2 entrances... one on one side of the garage & the other on the opposite side of the garage. The cashier booth is located on one side of the garage. There is an entrance gate at both entrances, & you have to pull a ticket in order to enter the garage.

When there is special event parking at the garage, an attendant is posted at both entrances. I have been posted at one of the entrances several times so far. This entrance is located on the same side that the cashier booth is located at. When customer pulls up, I have to press the button on the ticket machine, collect payment up front, & give the customer the ticket.

As for customers paying with their credit card...

I have to collect the customer's credit card, press the button on the ticket machine, ask the customer to move forward, go to the cashier booth & have the attendant posted there process the payment. Once I give the cashier the customer's credit card, I have to immediately go back to the entrance gate that I am posted at. This is because the garage manager as well as the night manager do not want that entrance left unmanned.

Earlier this week I worked there when there was special event parking. I was told that it would be very busy that night & to not leave my post at the entrance gate.

There was a couple who wanted to pay with a credit card. However, when I asked the driver, a female, to move forward, the male told me "no, we will not move forward. We are staying right here until you come back." I did not want to argue with the customer, & so I left them waiting at the entrance gate. While I was away from the entrance gate, a line of cars pulled up behind them. The garage manager walked out of the garage office, which is located next to that entrance gate, & walked up to that couple. He asked the driver to move forward. The guy and the garage manager argued a little. Eventually the driver moved forward. The garage manager told me "do not let customer take control of the situation."

I asked the night manager after clocking out what should the attendant do in that situation. He said "stamp their ticket with a stamp that we will provide & ask them to exit because they cannot block traffic."

Any other ideas on how to handle customers like this?

Too bad a backpack flamethrower isn't approved work attire.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Aaaaaaask them to exit, lol. Politely with sugar and a cherry on top? Stupid manager.

I would treat it as a security issue, if someone's obstructing traffic -- which they are, if it's a busy night and lots of people are trying to get in and out. It could potentially back up to the public road, depending on how far you are from it. Tell them you'll have to call security if they don't move, and do it if they call your bluff.

Comment

Working...
      X