This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales of the Dragon Lady

So I wrote another thread about Minnie the Mouse a few days ago.

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=96413

My boss actually joined the thread and said he'd create one for the Dragon Lady, but hasn't had time. So here it goes...

The Dragon Lady. Just one of her many names on this block according to the other businesses. Another nickname was "the Bitch". And she was actually proud of this.

As you can see from the last few posts on the link above, she worked one housekeeper up to 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, and kept any "overtime" as "rent" because the housekeeper was living on site. What I didn't tell you is that the room she was living in was the worst room in the house. Floor boards missing, tiles missing, problems with the air conditioning, and more. The room is currently undergoing a major overhaul by the new owner. It's also the smallest room that we have. And yes, she was supplied with board. But the "board" took the form of small breakfast things like pastries, bread, coffee and orange juice. Meaning, it wasn't warm food unless it was toasted.

But she wasn't the only employee. Another employee was a very nice older lady. Now this older lady has issues with computers (in that, she barely knows how to use them. We are having to teach her how. But she is absolutely fantastic with the guests. You can teach the computer stuff, you can't teach the personality stuff). Now, the way the shifts worked was that she worked 4 days a week up to 14 hours a day, and sometimes the owner would put her on anyway on what were supposed to be her days off so that the old owner could go out. But, at least she actually got paid and didn't live on site. But she also didn't get trained by the old "owner". When we came in, the poor woman knew nothing about hotel procedure and she outright told us that she was "a babysitter". All she did was give keys and have them sign, nothing else. And make sure no one was getting hurt or anything.

And those were her only employees. The office was open varying hours under her but usually 8 am - 10 pm.

Now, I call her the old owner, but she really isn't. She told every business around her that she owned the place, and she didn't. Even her employees thought she owned the place. No, she was renting with an option to buy for 5 years. The business has been up for sale for 2 years. She never bought it, so imagine her shock when my owner bought it. To say she was PISSED is putting it lightly.

She told the employees that they no longer had a job with us. That we didn't want them so to just walk out. She painted us as ogers coming in to take over and bringing a full staff with us. That we were big wigs from some major hotel downtown (not true, the owner, which is not my husband and I, we are just employees, owns one other hotel and is actually a pretty reasonable guy). The final day, she kicked the employees out (the housekeeper without a place to live). the old housekeeper wanted to clean the rooms of the guests that had left that day, and the old "owner" told her to just leave it, and leave the building.

Then the old "owner" went around and grabbed as much as she could. She took ALL the hairdryers, and irons in storage. She took almost every piece of extra bedding, including bedspreads. She nearly emptied the kitchen cupboards of dishes and food. She took paintings, and furniture. She even went in and took tv's from the bedrooms (though not all of them). She took all the working vacuums in the place. All of this stuff was to belong to my owner per the contract. My owner has had to pay many thousands to buy new stuff since he's decided it just isn't worth it to take a lawyer after her.

She had some doors installed with a dead bolt, and took the keys to the dead bolts. So if a guest uses the dead bolt, we can't get in the rooms. This could be a seriously deadly situation in the case of a fire or something.

One room was "the cat room" because she lived on site and brought her cat with her. It was empty except for the cat, the cats box, and a large human sized bed for the cat. We have already run an ozone machine in there three times, and the smell keeps coming back. The owner is talking about removing the carpet completely (he thinks this might be good to do in all the rooms) and putting in laminate.

Every time a guest spilled something on the carpet, the old "owner" would throw a rug over it. You have no idea how many rugs are in this building. We've been pulling the rugs up to find carpet damaged underneath all over the place.

Her girlfriend/significant other was a drug addict and known for punching holes in the walls. Apparently this was very common and she's been in and out of rehab 4 times by the time the place was bought by my owner. So we are having to repair walls.

We are going through all the storage areas and finding mostly garbage so we're throwing most of it out.

And the old "owner" is known as the "Bitch of the Block" by neighboring businesses. See, there's a small space in front of our hotel that's an unloading zone. And instead of doing the right thing and just calling the parking authority on the cars that keep parking in the area for a long period of time (that's almost stopped btw. Since we have been there, we have called the parking authority about a dozen times, and now it hardly ever happens), she used to walk into the doors of the neighboring businesses and scream at the top of her lungs "whoever is fucking parked in front of my fucking hotel is getting their car towed. Do not park in front of my hotel".

When we started going around to neighboring businesses and introducing ourselves, several of them nearly jumped for joy. I don't know all the stories but for them to be that happy, I'm betting that there was alot more that she did and we just don't know about it. In fact, one of the neighboring businesses general manager gives us any orders for my husband and I at cost and has been to our business several times to arrange different things like room deliveries and having a party room with catering for guests (our hotel is too small for that, so having them with one is absolutely awesome). And the day before yesterday, the tavern across the street gave me lunch for free.

The old "owner" barely had anyone here. Her policy was full prepayment in advance non-refundable. She wasn't up on any of the third party sites except for Bookit. Her rates were really low (around $79 a night) and rate changes made no sense. She gave rates around $159-$189 for the Superbowl when rates should have been more around $400 a night. Meaning, she was totally screwing herself over. Unfortunately, we have been stuck with some of her insane leftover reservations that we have to keep.

So... the Dragon Lady was a complete nutbag.

Our first few weeks, my husband and I were working 10-14 hours a day (no other employees) each. Now we've hired employees. Still waiting for one more for the desk, but we're waiting for a potential to contact us. I really want to start working relatively the same hours as my husband. I really miss him. I'm working the mornings on his off days, he's working mornings on my off days, and we're working opposite shifts on the other days.

Damage is being fixed. Proper policy and procedure established. We have a new hotel computer system and new website (including a mobile version) due to start within the next week or so. New employees are being trained (some of them from the old owner, including Minnie the Mouse). No one is being asked to work insane hours (though my poor husband is still having to do it). Hopefully we will eventually have a 24 hour desk at some point soon.

We have a new ice machine for the guests (which the old "owner" didn't have). We should be having an ATM installed within the next week or so. The Courtyard has been totally emptied and has had major work done that makes it look so much better.

By this time next year, I expect that it may be a totally new hotel with all the renovations and changes. It is a very beautiful hotel (it was built in 1897 as three townhouses and joining in the early-mid 1900's to become a hotel) with 27 rooms.

The insane leftover reservations are slowly trickling out, and we are getting alot more business. Most of the people that leave have talked about how wonderful the stay was, with maybe a few leftover glitches here and there (mostly issues with rooms we didn't know existed, liking broken heaters).

It's getting better. Slowly but surely.

I may have forgotten some things about the Dragon Lady. If I remember them, I'll post them here. I'll also ask Crucible to take a look since he may remember some things I don't.

All I can say is, Wow. Although this does explain a lot about Minnie's attitude. There's no way a few pastries would give anyone the energy to do that kind of work. (I noticed in the other thread that she was starting to come around so I think as she gets used to being treated like a human being and eating better you just might find yourself with a very good coworker.)
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

she worked one housekeeper up to 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, and kept any "overtime" as "rent" because the housekeeper was living on site.
      That still has me going

cos as i said in the other thread that's closer to slavery than paying someone with room/board. I believe the term "slumlord" would apply for her quite nicely.

i'm not surprised the other businesses are full of joy that you've taken over. You're working hard to fix all the damage she neglected and make the place look nice. This kind of effort really has a positive effect on the surrounding businesses.

Comment

Wow, I'm speechless. Old "owner" is insane. I hope your boss at least called the police about the stolen property.

Comment

Oh, I did forget something. Whenever Minnie the Mouse would try to get an apartment, the Dragon Lady would tell the reference checks that she didn't know who Minnie the Mouse was so she couldn't leave.

Comment

I'd still have filed a police about all the stolen property. Maybe not pursue a lawsuit, but if the police could be bothered to check her house and ask her why she has 20+ TVs...

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
              I'd still have filed a police about all the stolen property. Maybe not pursue a lawsuit, but if the police could be bothered to check her house and ask her why she has 20+ TVs...
              I agree with this...

Comment

The Problem with getting any items she took with her, was that she did it prior to the take over. Any property up until the exact time of the signing for the ownership takeover was technically hers. We are basically screwed.
                And unto the I offer the 11th commandment of god, that whomsover calleth "Shotgun" shall heretofore and forever lay claim to that seat......until you have to pee!!-your friendly neighborhood Crucible

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                  Oh, I did forget something. Whenever Minnie the Mouse would try to get an apartment, the Dragon Lady would tell the reference checks that she didn't know who Minnie the Mouse was so she couldn't leave.
                  the more you say about DL the less i like her.
                  really... what she did was illegal and immoral. she purposefully kept MtM in a position where she couldn't escape and lived like an indentured servant... except with no hope of escape.

in a way it's close to what they do with human trafficking, just without the forced prostitution.

Comment

Too bad the owner didn't find out about the taken property before finalizing the purchase. It would have been a good way to knock a couple thousand off the buying price on the basis that the equipment that money was to pay for was no longer in the purchase.

The purchase agreement should have had a enumerated list of what exactly was being purchased extra - I think that's fairly standard here in the Netherlands, at least for house sales. (We paid a bit extra for an exact, numbed list of items to be left behind by the owners when they moved out.)

This does fall under 20/20 hindsight though. =\

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      the more you say about DL the less i like her.
                      really... what she did was illegal and immoral. she purposefully kept MtM in a position where she couldn't escape and lived like an indentured servant... except with no hope of escape.

in a way it's close to what they do with human trafficking, just without the forced prostitution.
                      I agree. My husband and I were horrified when we heard about this and, though we had nothing to do with it, we apologized to her and promised her that we would never ever treat her that way.

That's why it's such a surprise that Minnie the Mouse is so rude to us. We keep her down to reasonable hours (she's the one that chooses to work more hours off the clock). The only thing we asked her to do was get up at 7 am to put out the breakfast, and that's stopped now that she's no longer living there.

She acts like a "Room so-and-so wants extra towels" is me thinking she's not doing her job or being rude. Part of the job is getting guests their requests. Housekeepers do it normally in all hotels.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                        (she's the one that chooses to work more hours off the clock)
                        Are you in the US? Because that is INCREDIBLY illegal here. Doesn't matter if she volunteers, you can't let it happen. So very illegal.
                        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                          Are you in the US? Because that is INCREDIBLY illegal here. Doesn't matter if she volunteers, you can't let it happen. So very illegal.
                          I know it is, and yes I am. We constantly tell her not to do it. That she needs time off or she will burn out from the stress. Not to mention that doing everything in one day will mean that she gets less hours later in the week since all the work is done because the owner doesn't want over time. She actually gets annoyed when we tell her to stop working. Eventually we just gave up trying to tell her not to work off the clock.

She moved out of the hotel last week. I'm hoping that she's finally not coming in before her shift and going home at the end of 8 hours but I've had the last two days off so I don't know for sure.

Actually, her working all the time is driving me batty. She obviously can't handle the stress she's putting on herself (I don't think I could handle it either). I think it's part of what's making her attitude so nasty. We've actually had to tell her a few times that she's to stop working and go rest.

It's not her work, or her work ethic that's the problem (though the fact that we have had to tell her to stop working so much is a serious problem), it's her attitude. For gods sakes, we won't make anyone work that much. Not only is it illegal for her to work off the clock and not be paid for it, but it's horribly immoral and makes me feel terribly guilty.

Very rarely should she EVER have to work beyond 8 hours, and then she should be paid for it. My husband once dressed her down for working over 8 hours without talking to him about it. The only reason we know she's been doing more than that is because she insists that every room is cleaned every day even if it's not due to come in for a couple days.

I don't get why she has such a hard time prioritizing the work. You do the people in house and due to come in first. And if no one is due to come in that day, it can wait till tomorrow (or even the next day) to clean it. We finally had to tell her to stop vacuuming and dusting the public areas every single day except for spot cleaning, and set her on a three day schedule with that (to which she got annoyed, btw).

I've never seen someone like this before. Work ethic is one thing, voluntarily virtually killing oneself by trying to do everything every single day when you're told to knock it off by the general manager is another.

The trouble this could bring us is just unbelievable. Not only does she have an attitude problem, but she keeps doing things she's told not to do. I'm starting to think she has mental issues.

Comment

After the prior owners antics is it possible that she feels you are setting a trap to fire her? I realise you are not but I'm thinking 'victim' mentality viewpoint in that the owner previously made her do way too much, took all her money etc. and now you guys are letting her 'slack off' a lot more.

So in the form of a 'I've got to keep the owner sweet' sense it could be she can't get past the block in her brain to realise this isn't you guys saying "don't come in Tuesday" to turn around and then say "You didn't come in Tuesday - you're fired!" and deny the fact you told her not to do something.

I am essentially saying she's broken I guess - she just can't believe you or change her ways to find out.
                            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Gizmo, yeah, I think that might be part of it. I honestly think she was abused by the last owner, maybe not physically but you know what I mean. The way she was treated is almost slavery.

But we aren't the last owner. We are very fair, and I heavily support fair treatment for fair pay for workers and equal rights for all.

Comment

Working...
                              X