Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked Mythical's selection better. Yours is also a good one, KiaKat. At least no one suggested the Beatles' Tax Man--I'm not on that side of the tax biz.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
      I liked Mythical's selection better. Yours is also a good one, KiaKat. At least no one suggested the Beatles' Tax Man--I'm not on that side of the tax biz.
      I think mine would be a good match if it was a better recording. For some reason, we don't have the full recording up on youtube, so I had to rely on my husband's crappy iPhone video. Was still decent, but the song itself is so freaking hilarious, and so perfectly illustrates the confusion over sorting out taxes, and we didn't do it justice.

Comment

Got the lyrics?
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

(I'm giving you the tenor part, primarily, due to the other parts mostly carrying the rhythm. I've noted parts where applicable. It's a long and ornate song that relies on harmonies and rhythms to convey the confusion of sorting out one's taxes.)

Taxes
          From the comedic choral piece Go For Broke, SSATTTB
          By Peter Schickele

A cappella

(Ten) Congratulations!
          May I have a word with you;
          I'm from the...
          (Bass) I. R. S.
          (Sop.) ding! (continue dinging rhythmically throughout verses)

(Ten)Take forty two percent of the amount you made and divide the first two figures by your age;
          take a third of a percent of your deductions and subtract from that the square of the minimum wage;
          take half of the remainder and apply it to the sum of all your debts,
          and write it on the line below the line where you have listed all your pets;
          now add it all together and follow the instructions on the top of the thirtieth page;

and I think you'll find,
          by the time you're done,
          that you wil owe me most;
          of what you've won,

ha ha ha ha ha ha
          ha ha ha ha ha ha
          ha ha ha ha ha ha

You think you're through,
          but just you wait;
          you are not through:

(Bass) You still have to pay the state,
          That's right,
          state,
          that's right,

(This is where it gets confusing: The tenor part splits, and any subsequent parts echo the primary.)

(Ten) Take thirty two percent of the amount you made and divide the first two figures by your age;
          take a third of a percent of your deductions and subtract from that the square of the minimum wage;
          now add it all together and follow the instructions on the top of the thirtieth page;

and I think you'll find,
          by the time you're done,
          that you will owe me most
          of what you've won,

ha ha ha ha ha ha
          ha ha ha ha ha ha
          ha ha ha ha ha ha

You think you're through,
          and that's a pity,
          'cause you're not through:

(Bas) You still have to pay the city,
          oh yes,
          city,
          oh yes,

(It gets more confusing here: The tenors split again, into three parts, echoing.)

(Ten)Take twenty two percent of the amount you made and divide the first two figures by your age;

and I think you'll find,
          by the time you're done,
          that you will owe me most
          of what you've won,

ha ha ha ha ha ha
          ha ha ha ha ha ha
          ha ha ha ha ha ha

Well now you're through;
          don't look so glum;
          it's no surprise
          that you feel numb;

we've walked away with much of your moolah

and there is really not a heckuva heckuva heckuva lot
          that you can doo-wah, doo-wah, doo-wah.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
            What about me, Mytical? You've actually met me in person, maybe that'll give you some special insight?
            Sometimes it is more difficult the more I know somebody *laughs* because that makes them more complex (to me). I will see if there is a song epic enough out there.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
              For instance when I think of Gravekeeper the song that seems to come to mind is GK
              Bon Jovi is waaaay too upbeat compared to what's going through my head when I'm on shift >.>

Comment

I think there is a song that might be epic enough..

Kiakat Mostly from the time at Dragon Con. You managed to contain the chaos, and keep things somewhat sane. Takes a strong person.
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

How about this then, Gravekeeper?

Gravekeeper's Song
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                    I think there is a song that might be epic enough..

Kiakat Mostly from the time at Dragon Con. You managed to contain the chaos, and keep things somewhat sane. Takes a strong person.
                    Definitely an awesome song, and I'm just gonna be over here, blushing a bit.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                      How about this then, Gravekeeper?

Gravekeeper's Song
                      Most of my calls are basically Twisted Nerve. >.>

Comment

ok ok I'll bite what would my song be? This ought to be good since there are facets of me that none of you know
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                          ok ok I'll bite what would my song be? This ought to be good since there are facets of me that none of you know
                          I think you would shoot me for the first thing that came to mind, mostly because of your forum name..but I will post it.

telecomgoddess

Comment

I know I'm not the most prolific poster but you can have a go at mine if you like.
                            As soon as I start thinking
                            That I'm sensible and sane
                            The Random Hedgehog comes along
                            And fiddles with my Brain
                            (from card I got)

Comment

Sometimes it is about the posts, sometimes about the threads they create, other times it is about the forum name, and yet other times it is just because of my random mind. I'll give it a go

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                                I think you would shoot me for the first thing that came to mind, mostly because of your forum name..but I will post it.

telecomgoddess
                                Nah I won't shoot you Interesting choice actually
                                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                                X