Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just accidentally traumatized my kids... (gross)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just accidentally traumatized my kids... (gross)

So last night, we had a really bad storm that blew down a large robin nest from one of our trees. Nothing I could do about it, the nest was completely, *completely* destroyed, and the eggs were ice cold when I found them.

So the kids saw them, and were surprised at how blue the eggs were. My thought process is then, hey, sciencey thing, let me save a couple of these for the kids. I brought them in, washed them really well, and then poked a couple holes in the first one. I figured I'd use the straw method to blow them out, and thank god I did.

The first blow did nothing, felt like there was a little stoppage. Hm, odd, let me blow harder. Oh dear god why did I do that.

What transpired was a mess of blood and white...and developing baby bird. And the kids were right there, on a chair, watching out of curiosity.

Screaming, falling over, knocking things down...yeaaaaah. That wasn't a surprise.

I managed to get the girls calmed down, told them a hundred times I was so sorry, I didn't think it'd developed THAT far...and have now placated them as best as I could. With bowls of pudding and whipped cream, and put on their favorite movie.

Someone hand me the worst parent of the year award, I'm fairly sure I've won it now. /sigh
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Not even close to worst parent of the year. They should be fine soon enough.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Hey, boil them! Now you have balut!
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
        /gags
        /dies
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
          I've been wanting to try balut for a while now...
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

So pretty much they got to see Robin Balut eh?

Comment

A little childhood trauma builds character. They'll thank you later.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                /gags
                /dies
                Very appropriate response ... especially once I Googled 'balut' and found it what it is.

Quoth Seraph View Post
                *snip*

Someone hand me the worst parent of the year award, I'm fairly sure I've won it now. /sigh
                Nah, not even close! More of an "OOPS!!" moment. Somewhere down the line they'll be going, "Remember that time Mom brought in the robin eggs and ... EEWWW!!!" Probably along with graphic details of the "EEWWW!!!" And probably in two to four years ... when you're all out for supper in a restaurant.

Comment

It's a memory and eventually will be a funny memory.
                  When I was 3 or 4 the adults in my family were catching the chickens and preparing them for the freezer. It was real dewy that morning so my Aunt put on a chair near the clothes line and told me to stay there so I wouldn't get my feet wet from the dew.
                  Well they started wringing necks and securing the chickens to the clothes line so they'd flop around and bleed out. Even being a farm kid this freaked me out, I just knew things without heads ought not be flopping around and flapping wings. Well one got away and came after me a running, I just knew it was going to get me so I jumped off the chair "wet feet be damned" and took off. I don't know how far the chicken actually chased me but I tell folks it was heck on feet and chased me all the way around the house, anyways as I turned that last corner I spotted my Aunt started screaming for her and at about 10 foot from her I leaped as only a scared to death child could do and straight into her arms and nearly knocked her over. She loved to tell that story, then there's the story of the hog's head in the pan on the table that was looking at me.
                  Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Well, the intentions were good. And there really is no way to tell how far the bird is developed, so what're ya gonna do?

This will definitely be something to look back and laugh about when those two are older.
                    Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

I googled balut and may never eat again. Sorry. I'm sure the kids will get over it, though. Kids are resilient.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Oh the joy of having my oldest brother married to a family from the Philippines...

Comment

I can eat chicken, and I can eat an egg, but I can't eat something that is in transition between the two.

WARNING: GROSS

My friend's dad is Filipino and challenged my friend to eat it once, he said it is completely disgusting. I asked if it was crunchy (because of the bones) and he said no, so I guess the bones aren't fully formed yet.
                          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

My grandfather was shinnying down a poplar tree with a mouthful of sparrows eggs (His dad paid a reward, sparrows will eat more of your oats than the horses) when his sister and her BFF egged him into trying to say something... *He* had a mouthful of warm slimy wigglies.
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

A guy I know was cracking some regular chicken eggs for breakfast and got a developing chick too. It happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X