Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One other odd note. Friday, those of us here (I lost two of the brood to grandparents for two weeks) went out to see the new Monster's Inc. flick. I noticed they had a worker out yesterday replacing the mailbox. Turns out, the mailbox caught fire on Friday! Two fire trucks were down. I've no idea how one manages to set a mailbox ablaze, but at least I wasn't around for anyone to cast suspicions on.
    But the paint on me is beginning to dry
    And it's not what I wanted to be
    The weight on me
    Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Does this so-called realtor have a supervisor? Maybe it's about time to contact them. Or perhaps Coldwell Banker themselves.
      Random conversation:
      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
        Fuck off wee man, for if it's to court we go, it's going to be time to amend the covenants when they get thrown out by a judge. That's going to be the result if I win. Because if they cannot be enforced or are too vague, well then they don't belong.
        Have you consulted with an attorney? Be very, very careful about CCRs. You can end up getting your house repossessed if you violate them. Happened to one of my neighbors last summer.

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
        What the fuck was he on about, then? Okay, the car parked on the grass, I can sort of see, ditto the dirt/mud patch in the back yard, but seriously?
        Depends on what county he lives in. In my county (I also live in North Carolina) parking on the grass is illegal. However, it is a civil fine from the county. It also violates CCRs and HOA rules in some neighborhoods (not mine, I don't have either). But I could still get fined by the county.

Q: What can I do about my neighbor who doesn't cut their grass?
        A: The County does not have anything in our ordinance related to grass cutting. Our Zoning Enforcement Officers send out letters to property owners advising them to cut their grass, however, we cannot enforce it.
        Again, that varies from county to county. In mine, the county mows and bills you.

I've no idea how one manages to set a mailbox ablaze, but at least I wasn't around for anyone to cast suspicions on.
        Firecrackers. Probably a prank from a local kid.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I have long been pondering doing one of two things to my back yard, chiefly because it would drive my neighbors (nasty bigoted busybody on one side, two possible drug dealers on the other) crazy:

Either plant most of the yard with tall ornamental grasses, or mow everything down and have a life-size statue of Michelangelo's 'David' set up. I just can't decide which neighbor he should moon.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            or mow everything down and have a life-size statue of Michelangelo's 'David' set up. I just can't decide which neighbor he should moon.
            You could always rotate him on a monthly basis, so the material discolors evenly, of course.
            What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

God I love living in the stix... From the county website.

Q: What can I do about my neighbor who doesn't cut their grass?
              A: The County does not have anything in our ordinance related to grass cutting. Our Zoning Enforcement Officers send out letters to property owners advising them to cut their grass, however, we cannot enforce it.
              Mentioned it previously - our jackass neighbor took to harassing me about the tiny scrap of lawn we have here, in front of the house it is all of 55 feet by about 17 feet. he rest of the 'upper yard' as seen from the road is the driveway that leads past the house to the barn, about 20 feet wide. The balance of our property is a combination of woods and fenced pasture where we kept our sheep when we still had some. Rob was out to sea, and because of my physical damage I do not do anything outside the house, I do not shovel the drive, mow the lawn or chase leaves around. Rob was out to sea on a long Northern run [making circles under the water circumnavigating the globe north of the arctic circle that particular time] so the lawn wasn't mowed for 6 months, November to April. It got to be about 18 inches tall.

So Jackass decided to take me to court. I grab the plat map provided when we bought the land, which had the cute topographical lines and little rectangles for the house and barn. All this muck over 10% of our property.

The magistrate for our county determined several things - firstly the ordinance about long grass providing shelter for vermin didn't apply, we live in the country. Secondly, there was more vermin shelter in the form of pasturage and woods than there was of what could be considered 'lawn' and as we were also zoned as light industrial/farmland and outside of town limits there was no way the magistrate was going to issue any sort of fine or order about long grass.

When Rob got back from sea, he fenced in the front yard and I kept it mowed by putting the sheep in to graze.

He glares at us any time he sees us in the little grocery store or the gas station now.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                Have you consulted with an attorney? Be very, very careful about CCRs. You can end up getting your house repossessed if you violate them. Happened to one of my neighbors last summer.
                If I had to guess, there's far more to that case than just breaking a CCR. Everything I've read states that this is a matter for a court to decide. I'll hunt around for a real estate attorney, but I still haven't been out of compliance with any of my rules.

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                Depends on what county he lives in. In my county (I also live in North Carolina) parking on the grass is illegal. However, it is a civil fine from the county. It also violates CCRs and HOA rules in some neighborhoods (not mine, I don't have either). But I could still get fined by the county.

Again, that varies from county to county. In mine, the county mows and bills you.
                My county is quite hick it would appear .

Firecrackers. Probably a prank from a local kid.
                What's odd about that is none of the kids down on my end are old enough to even have such things. And when watching them do their repair, it was only the post that was replaced. I'm thinking the neighbor that reported this may be wrong, and simply one of the cleanup crew backed or drove over it.
                But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                And it's not what I wanted to be
                The weight on me
                Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
                  You could always rotate him on a monthly basis, so the material discolors evenly, of course.
                  Yeah, we're thinking about putting him on a rotating platform

Also, re: the "shelter for vermin" thing that someone else mentioned, that drives me nuts. Rats do not live in tall grass. There would be no protection from predators. They live under (or inside if they can) houses, garages, sheds, in the sewers, or even burrow underground. They also move extremely quickly and could be living on your property without you ever seeing them. Any lush planting provides cover just as good as tall grass or weeds.

So fining people for having tall grass or weeds, but calling them good citizens for having a yard full of shrubs, is baloney.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I've no idea how one manages to set a mailbox ablaze, but at least I wasn't around for anyone to cast suspicions on.
                    Quite easily. Someone tried to blow up our mailbox once (they didn't get that far with us, but they managed to smash my neighbour's mailbox and then eventually they did get ours).

Otherwise:

-put flammable material in mailbox.
                    -Pour combustible material in mailbox.
                    -light a long-handled match.
                    -put inside.

Boom!

As for our mailbox, the BASE is now encased in a two-foot deep block of concrete, is lockable and you can't easily put a match inside.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                    X