This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music reccommendations?

BG: I have a cochlear implant, and am always on the lookout for new music. HOWEVER, "new" doesn't necessarily have to mean new in terms of age. In order for me to learn a new song, I find it on YouTube with lyrics and learn it, once I've memorized it, I can recognize it once its playing, but not until then. There's a bit of a learning curve, but its worth it.

The thing is - with so much music out there, I can sift through 100 songs a day just to find 1 or 2 I really like.

So I ask you - You're stranded on a desert island with an eternally charged mp3 player that holds only 10 songs... What songs would you choose? Any style/genre/period - I like them all!!!!
    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

As for me, in no particular order:

Symphony #5 - Beethoven
    Symphony #9 - Beethoven
    Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - Mozart
    Angels Among Us - Alabama
    Jurassic Park - 'Weird Al' Yankovic
    Jesus He Knows Me - Genesis
    No Son of Mine - Genesis
    Hallelujah Chorus - Handel (from "The Messiah")
    Amazing Grace - (by John Newton and H.B. Stowe, sung by anyone who does so properly and includes all 7 verses)
    Misty - Ray Stevens

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Randomly off the top of my head, in no particular order, and with the understanding that I am a classic rock guy...

Rolling Stones, "Sympathy for the Devil."
      Rolling Stones, "Gimme Shelter."
      Heart, "Back to Avalon."
      Heart, "Love Alive."
      Heart, "Crazy on You."
      Fleetwood Mac, "Gold Dust Woman."
      Fleetwood Mac, "Landslide."
      Guns 'n Roses, "Paradise City."
      Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta."
      Pat Benatar, "Shadows of the Night."
      AC/DC, "You Shook Me All Night Long."
      The Eagles, "Hotel California."
      The Eagles, "Seven Bridges Road."
      Sheryl Crow, "My Favorite Mistake."
      Sheryl Crow, "Every Day is a Winding Road."
      Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock, "Picture."
      Marillion, "Kayleigh."
      Heart, "These Dreams."
      Reel Big Fish, "Beer." (My new theme song!)
      The Moody Blues, "Your Wildest Dreams."
      Free, "All Right Now."
      Buffalo Springfield, "For What It's Worth."
      Rush, "Closer to the Heart."
      Rush, "Spirit of the Radio."
      Bob Dylan, "Like a Rolling Stone." (Basically the only song I ever do at karaoke.)
      Sheryl Crow, "Steve McQueen."
      The Who, "Join Together."
      The Who, "Who Are You?"

Yeah, that's more than ten, but I was just riffing along, and fortunately I DON'T have to decide among those or several others I could think of. Hope you like some of those!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
        BG: I have a cochlear implant, and am always on the lookout for new music. HOWEVER, "new" doesn't necessarily have to mean new in terms of age. In order for me to learn a new song, I find it on YouTube with lyrics and learn it, once I've memorized it, I can recognize it once its playing, but not until then. There's a bit of a learning curve, but its worth it.

The thing is - with so much music out there, I can sift through 100 songs a day just to find 1 or 2 I really like.

So I ask you - You're stranded on a desert island with an eternally charged mp3 player that holds only 10 songs... What songs would you choose? Any style/genre/period - I like them all!!!!
        Just a few suggestions, if you're looking for "new" music.

Personally, I grew up on Country music, "oldies", The Beatles, and The Rolling Stones.

What I might suggest is that you break things down by "decade". Maybe start off in the decade in which you were born. Research the more "popular" songs from those decades, and start there. Find five or ten of them, give them a listen, and move on. You can always cycle back later. You may be surprised at what you find.

A lot of it is going to be based on your personal taste. A few people think that "older" country music (or country music with fiddles and steel guitar) sounds like "cats making love". Some people think that Heavy metal is "just noise".

Don't necessarily reject "indie" bands, either. There are websites where you can find music from "independent" artists who put out their own stuff. A lot of that is pretty good, too.

Take to heart what BroSCFisher said, too. Gospel and Classical/Baroque music. I, for one, like to listen to Pachelbel's "Canon in D". If you find a good version of that, I think you'll find it relaxing.

I like so many different songs, I don't know if I could just pick ten.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Anything by Queen, but especially "I Want to Break Free", "I'm Going Slightly Mad", "Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy."

Anything by the Moody Blues (except "Go Now"), or if you can find it, "Forever Autumn" by Justin Hayward (solo).

Anything by Loreena McKennitt.

The Doors, "Riders on the Storm."

Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven," "Misty Mountain Hop" and "Battle of Evermore."

Elton John, "Daniel," "The One", "Friends", "Your Song", "The Bitch is Back."

S.J. Tucker, "Go Away Godboy"

Don McLean, "Vincent"

Three Dog Night, "Joy to the World" (if you've never heard it, no, it's not a Christmas song)
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Three Dog Night, "Joy to the World" (if you've never heard it, no, it's not a Christmas song)
            My favorite Three Dog Night song is "Shambala".

My taste in music runs the gamut, rock, blues, soul, jazz, big band, classical. My favorites tend to be rock songs from the late Sixties through the Nineties. I like a lot of one-hit wonders such as:

King Harvest "Dancin In The Moonlight"
            Blues Image "Ride Captain Ride"
            Fastball "The Way"

To be honest, I don't think I could narrow it down to ten songs. I think I would need at least a thousand tracks (how much can an MP3 player hold? I'm thinking of getting one).
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

My music all depends on mood. I have a fairly eclectic set of songs--I got it from my grandfather. I would walk into him listening to spoken poetry, to jazz, to screamo.

Here's the usual notifiers I'll like it: Female vocalist, electronica influences.

Artists I've got: Garbage. They're a very angry 90s band. I'm not too much into them now that I've gone from my 'angry, crazy, teenager' phase to 'I love everything, brb, going to hug a tree' phase? (I don't know if I can call this a phase.)
              Best songs from them, imo: Push It, Stupid Girl, I think I'm Paranoid, only happy when it rains

The Kills: Their songs are primarily rock duets. Again, they're a bit more angry than I listen to generally now, but I pick them up every now and then.
              Best songs from them, imo: Heart is a beating drum, last day of magic, superpowerless, no wow, tape song, black balloon

Ladytron: Foreign band, though their songs are primarily in English. They're electropop.
              Best songs from them, imo: Another breakfast With You, Discotraxx, This is our sound, destroy everything you touch, flicking your switch

Pendulum: Drum and bass, dubstep.
              Best songs from them, imo: Different, Hold your Color, Through the loop (it samples classic Wonka, of all things), Watercolor, The Other Side, Blood Sugar

Metric: Much softer than the other stuff I've recommended.
              Their best songs, imo: Gold guns girls, twilight galaxy, satellite mind, black sheep, grow up and blow away, the twist

Also, I'd highly suggest the entire soundtrack of Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (and it's Commentary soundtrack, Commentary!)
              Dr Horrible's Best Songs, imo: My Freeze Ray, Brand New Day, Slipping, A Man's Gotta Do
              Commentary's Best Songs, imo: Strike!, Ten Dollar Solo, Better than Niel, The Rap, Heart Broken, Niel's Turn, All about Me

And at least this one from the soundtrack from Repo! The Genetic Opera: Zydrate Anatomy.

Finally, these are just a list of songs from a cd a kid burned for me (cause people still do that apparently XD)
              A.Kick-Autocratz
              3 Little Words-Frankmusik
              Hearts on fire-Cut Copy
              I would do anything for you-foster the people
              Hold it in-jukebox the ghost
              I'm not crying, you're not crying, are you?- dear and the headlights

Comment

Thank you - so much new music to learn! I appreciate it so much.
                The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Muse - Exogenesis Symphony
                  The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
                  Doctor Who - Song of Freedom
                  Doctor Who - This is Gallifrey, Our Childhood, Our Home
                  Anastasia - Once Upon a December
                  Phantom of the Opera - Music of the Night
                  Phantom of the Opera - The Phantom of the Opera
                  Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
                  Owl City - Fireflies
                  Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog - A Brand New Day
                  Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog - Everything You Ever
                  Newsboys - Million Pieces
                  Utada Hikaru - Simple and Clean
                  DcTalk - Red Letters
                  Cowboy Bebop/Steve Conte - Call Me Call Me
                  By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I don't think I could ever narrow it down to 10 random songs. 10 bands, maybe, and which songs I like best of theirs.

1) Great Big Sea. Mostly traditional Newfoundland folk songs with some of their own works thrown in
                    Favorites: Heart of Hearts, Le Bon Vin, Lukey, Ordinary Day, Mari-Mac, Goin' Up, Gideon Brown, Jack Hinks

2) Enter the Haggis, which continues to be one of my favorite bands. Roots rock with a strong Celtic influence, especially their earlier albums.
                    Favorites: Minstrel Boy, Congress, The Mexican Scotsman, Donald Where's Your Troosers?, Cameos, Sea of Crutches, Ghosts of Calico, Broken Line, Can't Trust the News, Pseumoustophy, Let Me Go

3) Runa. Their music is a little bit harder to just sample on places like YouTube, as they're not as well-known of a band. Their site has a place where you can listen to a few of their songs, though.
                    Favorites: Siobhan Ni Dhuibhir, Bedlam Boys, Foggy Dew, Fionnghuala, Summerfly, Eppie Morie

4) Area 11. The band was founded by a couple of people from Yogscast and they have a very unique sound that they call 'gaijin-rock'

5) Tanz der Vampire soundtrack. TdV is, and has been for a while now, a particular favorite musical of mine despite the fact that I know very little German. If you look into getting the soundtrack, do not get the one from the Broadway version called 'Dance of the Vampires'. Tanz and DotV are two completely different things and there's a reason why DotV has been labeled as being worse than Carrie: the Musical.
                    Favorites: Wahrheit, Wenn Liebe in Dir Ist, Fuhl die Nacht, Gebet

6) Sailor Moon soundtrack. As far as anime soundtracks go, the one from Sailor Moon is probably my favorite.
                    Favorites: Moon Revenge, Sanji No Yousei, Luna!, Moonlight Densetsu, Otome No Policy, Route Venus, Koibito ni Hanarenai Kedo, Watashi no Hito Gingahen, Ai wo Shinjiteru, Starlight no Kisushite, Seihai, Senshi no Omoi, Initial U.

6b) Speaking of Sailor Moon, I also love the soundtracks from the stage shows (Sera Myu)
                    Favorites: Kaze No Shijin and La Soldier

7) The 7th Guest soundtrack by George "The Fat Man" Sanger and Team Fat. Most of it is instrumental and a lot of the songs are pretty short (all of them are well under 5 mins long except for The Game and The Final Hour), but the music was one of the best things about The 7th Guest.
                    Favorites: Skeletons in my Closet, Big Ol' Outro, Funky Tubes
                    Last edited by firecat88; 06-21-2013, 06:37 PM.
                    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                      6) Sailor Moon soundtrack. As far as anime soundtracks go, the one from Sailor Moon is probably my favorite.
                      Favorites: Moon Revenge, Sanji No Yousei, Luna!, Moonlight Densetsu, Otome No Policy, Route Venus, Koibito ni Hanarenai Kedo, Watashi no Hito Gingahen, Ai wo Shinjiteru, Starlight no Kisushite, Seihai, Senshi no Omoi, Initial U.

6b) Speaking of Sailor Moon, I also love the soundtracks from the stage shows (Sera Myu)
                      Favorites: Kaze No Shijin and La Soldier
                      ..you...you left out Kokoro Tabanete D:
                      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Working...
                      X